Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Enough is Enough!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by florabird View Post
    hi Jemima,
    Sorry this has happened .
    If it was me, I'd speak to the college/university direct, at least you might get to the bottom of what's really going on/how the system is working etc

Hope you get your money back: don't know where you'll stand in terms of breaching the contract though as you have withdrawn care and therefore broken the contract yourself... there seems to be conflicting info regarding claiming your money back in these circumstances.
    I agree, speak to the uni. When the money comes through it is due to you. Tell them what has happened. I don't believe you have breached the contract working for this long with no pay. I think a recent thread said NCMA were changing it's stance on this now and in my view this is a substantial amount - in fact you've never been paid! You are not giving notice simply saying you will not continue until payment is made.

They WILL be paying mum at some point so you need to ensure that they somehow make sure the money is directed to you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieS26 View Post
    PLEASE READ

You cannot refuse care and be paid your notice period unless you are prepared to work.

That came direct from the NCMA legal line.

That would only apply if you were using NCMA contracts though?

All my parents have in writing at the commencement of their contracts that no pay means no childcare with immediate effect. They sign to say they agree. My contract - my rules.

If I ever got in this position I would let them take me to court -they wouldn;t have a leg to stand on!

bexcee Guest

I'd ring the college/uni and explain the situation and see what they say. How do you know she hasn't had the money and spent it herself? Unless they college pay the money direct to the childcare provider it's always going to be open to abuse.
    Check she is still enrolled at college and attending, ask why the grant hasn't been paid for so long, when it will be paid and when you can expect to see some money.
    Good luck with it all, you have been very patient to wait so long and work for no fees for so long. I hope it all works out for you

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good :-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your support sometimes you just want to hear that people are behind you in times like this....Mum got meeting tommorrow with the student union so hoping to get something at least sorted out even if it is to just found out where the money has got too. I think she has spent it but we shall see!!!!!!xx

May 08
    Post Thanks / Like

The same has happened to me but with Tax Credits and I think mum has had the money and spent it as it was just before Christmas. If mum isn't working and has spent the money I don't think you can get it back even if you do take her to small claims court. I'm having a similar problem and in the NCMA solicitors claim pack it says they will look at the employment of the parent to decide if they can pay the debt.

I don't know what to do in regard to claiming because a member of the NCMA legal advice line gave me what seemed excellent advice (which I followed to the letter) until I rang them back for a claim form!

I'll see how things go but considering looking for insurance elsewhere when due for renewal.

Hope you get things sorted hun, it's not a nice position to be in.

Sending hugs xx

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

The NCMA have not helped you with this situation so i don't really see why you should follow their rules.

If they have taken your case on board and are actively pursueing it to get you your money back then yes stick to the rules.

but if you have asked for their help and you are not receiveing it then stuff the rules - i would not have the child for one minute longer without being paid.

I would consider continueing care a week at a time as long as from now on she pays for each week up front and then continue to chase up the backlog.

Jan 02
    Post Thanks / Like

What an awful situation to be in. I would have had to have said something if i hadnt recieved payment after a couple of weeks. Thats alot of money she needs to pay-fingers crossed you get it.

Blue Boy Guest

What a mess. It is easy to say that you should have stopped it earlier but that is no hepl to you. Hope you get the right result. We alllearn from our mistakes

Take care lots of love

Mick xx

aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had the same situation and the parent owed me £800 and pre school 200 I terminated the contract as you did until payment was given then i found out that i had breached my contract by not giving them notice and still £800 out of pocket and so is pre school - be careful is my advice and make sure you cover yourself I know its hard but if it went to court you could be in breach tooo

Sarah

May 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I know I should have stopped it earlier but there were a lot of factors which stopped me from terminating - I'd have still been the same out of pocket anyway!
    I wanted paying 5 weeks for the 5 week month but tax credits only pay 4 weekly, then the child was off ill for a week, then I asked everyday for the money the following week when she came back and then she didn't bother to turn up the following week or make contact so I ended the contact with immediate affect upon the advice of the NCMA legal advice line as apparently you can do so to "mitigate losses" and you only have to give 7 days notice to pay but the other woman I spoke when requesting a claim form said I shouldn't have done this so
    so you can see how 8 weeks just creeps up.
    Don't know what I'm going to do yet but I'm not letting the NCMA deal with they have been worse then useless up to now and the tax credits people don't want to know - how about that for injustice

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by diddledumplings View Post
    I know I should have stopped it earlier but there were a lot of factors which stopped me from terminating - I'd have still been the same out of pocket anyway!
    I wanted paying 5 weeks for the 5 week month but tax credits only pay 4 weekly, then the child was off ill for a week, then I asked everyday for the money the following week when she came back and then she didn't bother to turn up the following week or make contact so I ended the contact with immediate affect upon the advice of the NCMA legal advice line as apparently you can do so to "mitigate losses" and you only have to give 7 days notice to pay but the other woman I spoke when requesting a claim form said I shouldn't have done this so
    so you can see how 8 weeks just creeps up.
    Don't know what I'm going to do yet but I'm not letting the NCMA deal with they have been worse then useless up to now and the tax credits people don't want to know - how about that for injustice
    Ncma told me this also so i think you did the right think love

i hope you get it sorted xx
    One life live it

onceinabluemoon Guest

A bit late for this time but to save yourself a lot of grief next time switch to morton michel contracts!

They have it built into the contract that if a parent fails to pay as agreed care may be suspended until all fees are paid. They also have late payment fees built into the contract!

Hope you manage to get paid ok. When I was at uni a few years ago our childcare was sorted out really quickly and not reliant on us being in class like colleges are (all uni's could be different though). An emergency loan takes a week or so to be processed not 6 weeks. I'd give the uni a ring and see if they can tell you anything. xx

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Tiggywinkle View Post
    A bit late for this time but to save yourself a lot of grief next time switch to morton michel contracts!

They have it built into the contract that if a parent fails to pay as agreed care may be suspended until all fees are paid. They also have late payment fees built into the contract!

Hope you manage to get paid ok. When I was at uni a few years ago our childcare was sorted out really quickly and not reliant on us being in class like colleges are (all uni's could be different though). An emergency loan takes a week or so to be processed not 6 weeks. I'd give the uni a ring and see if they can tell you anything. xx
    are they better than ncma

i have never used them before
    One life live it

Latest Inspection Grade
    6 Excellent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Tiggywinkle View Post

Not only that, MM will reimburse you (within a week I have heard tell!) for fees unpaid then take the further steps to recover the money themselves, you won't be out of pocket.

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats it then, this will be the last year that i am going with the NCMA. I feel they have let us down badly
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

May 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I seem to have hijacked this thread.

I will definately be going with MM when my renewals due. I'm just hoping my problems are all sorted by then whichever way I decide to go about it.

I'm going to citizens advice to see what they say because apparently I can get 30 mins with a solicitor for free and I believe that some solicitors if they think they can defo win the case will do it for nothing and reclaim their fees from parent but don't quote me. I just feel more comfortable talking with somone face to face and so they can look through my "evidence" and discussing my options instead of feeling like I'm being forced to go down the ncma route.

Lets just say its a hard lesson learnt and I think tax credits should have an alternative system and they pay parents with vouchers like the busy bees scheme to avoid all this fraud.

May 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Ncma told me this also so i think you did the right think love

i hope you get it sorted xx
    What did ncma tell you hun - that you could terminate immediately to mitigate losses?!!!????

The second woman I spoke to said I shouldn't have done that and that I was then in breach of the contract even though she was first and that she could then counter claim. I should have given her 4 weeks notice according to them.

Think I've been royally screwed over by ncma's legal advice team, really don't know where to go with this one, useless (feel free to use your own expletive)

may 01
    Non childminder member
    10/05/01
    Post Thanks / Like

good on you,
    this also happened to me about 6 mts ago,
    mum left leaving a bill of 600.00 behind her,
    when i finally got in contact with her ( took a while but i did not give up ) she said she did not have it,
    my answer to her was - you did have it as tax credits paid it to you for you to give to me and that is was not my fault if you spent it.
    i told her in nice way that that was better known as frauding the goverment,
    nicma advised me to write her a letter giving her 7 working days to pay in full or i would take her to the small claims court,
    explaining to her that my insurance covered me for my costs.
    she did pay up in full on the 6th day.
    be firm with parents but nice,
    if we did wrong we would soon hear about it.

Nov 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe people would use our services and not pay....I would die of embaressment!!!

Changed my mind I will join MM

Phone the uni and speak to finance and that your chasing up your payment.

Let us know the outcome cx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12