nappys
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: nappys

Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default nappys

hi, i was just wundering what everyone does with dirty nappy`s, ive been on to the council to see if they do a special bin or something which they don`t, i was told to put them straight in my bin. but with 4 children in nappys i can have up to 12 nappy changes a day, my bins stink even when they are wrapped. by the end of the week my bins full without my rubbish in them

what do you lot do?

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: nappys

I put them straight in an out side bin,
    I Put them in a carrier bag after nappy sack and when i get a min I stick them outside, would never put them in kitchen bin x

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

i put them in nappy sacks, then in the outside bin! i got in touch with the council about 2 years ago and asked them for a bigger bin they said we couldnt have one as there are only 4 of us living in the house, once i explained i was a childminder with 3 full time children all in nappys( i could easily put 10-12 nappys in the bin every day) and a number of part timers here through the day they agreed to let me have one
    maybe i was just lucky!

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I quite often take a carrier bag full of nappies on the playgroup run and drop off in a bin on the high street. Is that naughty of me ?
    Grindal

Post Thanks / Like

I put them in a nappy sack & pop in a bin in the toilet & empty it at the end of the day.
    I have another bin in the toilet for cloth nappies too.
    I'm in a 1st floor flat so can't keep running down the stairs everytime I change a nappy.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I nappy sack them and put them straight outside the front door. not nice for visitors but nicer smell in the house. I stick them all in the outside bin later on when I get a moment.

I looked into a portable incinerator as there was big fuss about environmetal impact but unless someone in council is prepared to offer me a cheap one I'm still using landfill!

nov 02
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a nappy sack and then a carrier bag I rang the council and asked for an extra black bin (they told me it was brown PC its definitely black) but in my area they travel in pairs I could only have an extra black/brown bin if I have an extra green bin!

The upside is I don't have to squash my boxes anymore

Post Thanks / Like

i put them in the outside bin but you can still them when you go near them, i think the council should be doing something for the disposable nappy as they take soooo long to decompose

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

i rang our concil who would supply me with a bigger bin but i would have to pay for it cause i was running a buisness

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I always double wrap dirty nappies

I also have 2 black bins so never an issue if one get full! Never really need the second one

may 84
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Nappy sack and outside bin as soon as possible.

Aug 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I know that one of the minders in our village sends all dirty nappies home with the child for the parents to dispose of. I personally just put them in my bin but might also consider doing this if I was having a lot of little ones.

Sara

June86
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I double wrap in nappy sacks and put outside back door until I can put them in outside bin. Bin sometimes heavy waiting for them to refuse to empty it don't know what I'll do then

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I put nappies in a nappy sack then chuck them straight in black bin outside. When I approached our council about having another bin they turned round and told me that it was commercial rubbish (working as a childminder and the nappys were from the children *****mind!) and i would have to pay to have them removed!!!

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

not sure if this is environmentally friendly but in the winter i chuck mine in the woodburner. they burn away nicely and do not give off a smell even if poopy.

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cuffleygirl View Post
    I use a nappy sack and then a carrier bag I rang the council and asked for an extra black bin (they told me it was brown PC its definitely black) but in my area they travel in pairs I could only have an extra black/brown bin if I have an extra green bin!

The upside is I don't have to squash my boxes anymore
    I have extra recycling bins because my neighbour didn't want them I have two for paper/cardboard and 2 for glass and plastic it's great.

My old childminder used to take the nappies and put them in a public bin as she passed as we are only allowed one rubbish binbag here. I only have 1 mindee at the moment so tend to just put them in with my rubbish.
    Paula

~Chelle~ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Saranotts View Post
    I know that one of the minders in our village sends all dirty nappies home with the child for the parents to dispose of. I personally just put them in my bin but might also consider doing this if I was having a lot of little ones.

Sara
    Ewwww I know what my mums would say if I did that

Who would want to take a stinking nappy home in their car??

I agree that the council should provide a service for nappies and sanitary items to be incinerated. Would save them a fortune when drains get blocked because of people flushing items down the loo. It would also be a better way of getting rid of them instead of them taking ages to decompose on a waste site.