Thread: Home Insurance

Registered Childminder since
    dec1989
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry Home Insurance

Morning,

Just getting some quotes for home insurance and sheilas wheels came up cheap so I rang them, went through all the details etc then he tells me they won't insure me because i'm a childminder who minds over 3 children!!
    Anyone else had this problem?

Amanda x

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Home Insurance

i recently changed my insurance to sheilas wheels no problem! they were the cheapest by far. when i told them i was a cm they said they couldnt insure my contents for accidental cover but i wasnt bothered about that as never had it before to keep premiums down.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been childminding for 5 years and have only just got round to informing my insurance company.

I kept putting it off because i thought they would increase my premium and not allow accidental damage. I figured if something got broke by a mindee i would just make out i did it. (this was advised by NCMA when i did my training but i expect things have changed now) I then read on here of someone, who's insurance company wouldn't pay out for leaking radiator that had ruined floors. This was nothing to do with childminding but because she hadn't declared it with them they wouldn't pay. Anyway i decided it was time i informed my insurance company which is Nationwide BS. My premium wasn't increased and i was still allowed to keep accidental damage. i think i pay around £170 per year for contents only. I wish i had done it earlier now but luckily i have never had to claim for anything.

June 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I changed my recently to the co-op and got it £70 cheaper and more cover, yes they cover childminders for no extra cost worth giving them a call.

Straws xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Unfortunately a lot of companies try to make more money out of childminders.

Shop bots don't take that into account when you get quotes either.

the cheapest isn't always the best

Post Thanks / Like

I did the same thing yesterday - got home insurance and a massive thank you as this forum was a real money saver!

I told each insurer I was a childminder who may have up to 6 kids including one of my own as wanted it all cleared and on paper as it were

We've only got 6 months history of home insurance no claims and live in a 3 bed house with usual locks / alarms / etc...

direct line wouldn't do accidental damage as standard but I could add to my buildings and contents leading to a sum of £590 odd.....and Shelias Wheels were around the £600 mark too....More Than were also over the £500 mark but........

thanks to your advice I've read on here went wiht Co Op and was under £350!!

Buildings, contents and accidental damage on both buildings and contents

very good I thought

THANKS EVERYONE (Hope this helps someone else too!) x

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

not sure where you are but I pay about the same as last poster in the south east. Mine is £440/year including £80 for annual travel AND includes accidental damage to soft furnishings whilst minding. So around £360 without the travel.

I'm with Liverpool Victoria.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    not sure where you are but I pay about the same as last poster in the south east. Mine is £440/year including £80 for annual travel AND includes accidental damage to soft furnishings whilst minding. So around £360 without the travel.

I'm with Liverpool Victoria.
    Gosh! that's really good too - always nice to feel you've got a good deal isn't it!

Latest Inspection Grade
    6 Excellent
    Post Thanks / Like

Takes a bit more digging to find someone who will allow CMs but we aren't paying any more than we were before, in fact we just did ours last night with Tesco very good deal it was as well with 6 months free! if you sign up before 16-09!

forgot to add it was just over 200 for contents & buildings jointly.
    Last edited by Pudding Girl; 15-09-2009 at 01:53 PM.