Why are people so negative??
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Why are people so negative??

Sorry to moan again, but a few people are making comments to me about how I am coping, ooh I wouldn't do it, laughing when they see me, (I am not that bad looking lol!)you are mad etc etc how can you cope with 4.

The thing is I am coping fine! I may be a bit tired and glad that Friday has come but it isn't that bad!!

Does anyone else get negative comments, if so how do you deal with them?

Registered Childminder since
    jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Why are people so negative??

what i find amusing is i can cope with other peoples kids, but i struggle with my own. I would smile sweetly at ppl and remind them im doing what i love and that everyday is so different and rewarding, much better than being stuck in a dead end job.

Leanne
    xx
    Don't let your halo slip and strangle you!!

Leanne
    xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

you tend to find people do make comments about what we do and poke fun I have had ' well you dont really work do you' and 'rather you than me' and ' how can you possibly cope with 5 other kids as well as your own'

I just say :

I dont have to cope as you put it as I enjoy my work and the kids I have are great

yes I rather me be earning what I earn that you I dont know how you manage on your wages ..... lol ( I usually make a point of saying I probably earn far more than you do and I get to stay home with my kids too isnt that great .... )

Yes actually I work darn hard and at least 50 hours a week and that just with the children

You just have to get some thick skin babe, they are probably just jealous !!!!
    Love Mrs Edward Cullen x

Sept 06
    Post Thanks / Like

I had exactly the same when I started

It's awful isn't - just when you are new to it all and feeling a little unsure, you get negative comments and from people you felt were friends too.

Don't worry they will get fed up soon and I reckon people are only jealous coz I make a decent living, working from home, doing what I love, and I am there for my own children (and I occasionally put the washing machine on!!!)

Keep your chin up, stand tall and be proud of what you do

Love Hollyx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They have nothing better to do and are bored with their lives...

... they probably wish they'd been at home for their children too... but weren't and are jealous of you

Only you will know if you're doing the right thing when you've given yourself time to settle in and enjoy the job! It's like any job - you get teething problems... but at least you don't have to deal with the office letch and the nasty boss LOL

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd make them feel jealous.

Say something like "Oh I'm soooo lucky being able to stay at home with my own children without having to go out to do my job, I get to have fun and play. It's hard work but I wouldn't swap it for your job!"

That'll make em think!
    Pauline x

Pipsqueak Guest

Be proud of yourself and the job you do and smile sweetly at those people.

It is a shame that there are some around who view what we do (still) as "not a real job" and that we "cope". Its laughable really because when they tootle of to pick small child up from nursery/school they wouldn't DREAM of saying that to the professionals there.

This is something that gets me on my soapbox - we are professionals and do a very demanding but rewarding job and we do it because we love it - what these people MEAN to say is "wow, you are amazing, its not something that I could do - being with children all day and listening to, mediating, negotiating, educating, being loving etc".... They forget a LOT of what we do is what many many mothers have done other the centuries and many are still doing today - we are nurturing.

Have stepped of my box now

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vik3000 View Post
    Be proud of yourself and the job you do and smile sweetly at those people.

It is a shame that there are some around who view what we do (still) as "not a real job" and that we "cope". Its laughable really because when they tootle of to pick small child up from nursery/school they wouldn't DREAM of saying that to the professionals there.

This is something that gets me on my soapbox - we are professionals and do a very demanding but rewarding job and we do it because we love it - what these people MEAN to say is "wow, you are amazing, its not something that I could do - being with children all day and listening to, mediating, negotiating, educating, being loving etc".... They forget a LOT of what we do is what many many mothers have done other the centuries and many are still doing today - we are nurturing.

Have stepped of my box now
    ditto vik, a point very well made

xx

Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had it all from , "When are you getting a real job" to "how you do it I don't know" God you must charge a lot if you can afford holidays like that". blah blah blah. Over the years I heard loads of hurtful stupid statements from people , but let me tell you my own Son (now 24) and our Foster kids have told me just recently how great it was having Mum there all the time !!! How wonderful is that ? Do you think their children will ever say that to them? Enjoy your career as a Childminder and take great joy in telling people how much fun your having being able to earn, but still have quality time with your own children.
    Keep your chin up Sweetheart

June

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by June View Post
    , but let me tell you my own Son (now 24) and our Foster kids have told me just recently how great it was having Mum there all the time !!! How wonderful is that ?
    June

And that says it ALL.

How wonderful June, your heart must have burst to hear that good on your children and good on you

July 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you not think they are saying how do you cope to you because they would not beable to cope themselves????

In the past I've had 8 children and I coped perfectly well.

It is hard work sometimes especially during holidays as they are long days but we wouldn't do it if we couldn't cope.

Don't take to heart what they've said, you're bigger and better than that.

Stay happy and enjoy being at home doing a profession you love

Carol xx

Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It sure did Vik. Cameron (our son) has moved away with work, whilst visiting him we were introduced to some of his workmates who said it was a pleasure to meet us and that Cam had told them he has great parents and had a fantastic childhood . We both had a lump in our throats. Wow its what you hope for your kids, but to hear it, its like winning the lottery only better.

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

And remember they are going to work everyday to do a job they hate while you don't have to trudge to work in rain and snow to a job you hate but get out of bed everyday knowing you are doing a job you love.

lov eKate
    love Kate
    Save the earth it's the only planet with chocolate

July 20
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi try to remind yourself why your doing such a worthwhile job. Do a short list of the pro's and the cons in your head, it won't take you long to realise just what an important career move you have made.
    In the cold light of day you are not putting toothpaste caps on tubes or meeting deadlines. What you are doing is being in control and that is so important for you and your family and your piece of mind. Keep the faith sister lol

April 2
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll jpin you on your soap box vik , totally agree . Don't people realise what we do is a proper job !! Makes my blood boil But i do love to tell people that i get paid to play and have fun all day , that makes them think about their dreary jobs The best thing for me is that everyday is different and if you are feeling a bit rough (i had a cold last week ) then u take the day slowly just doing simple things. But on the days when you've got loads of energy you can go wild I LOVE IT

Aug 03
    Post Thanks / Like

I also have this from people at school who say oh it is alright for you you can go home and relax, relax I would like them to relax with the 3/4 children I look after. I have got used to it now and try to take no notice of them, I enjoy what I do and it means I get to stay at home with my daughter and take her to school etc and when the new baby comes along I will be able to do the same.

Take no notice you will get used to it in the end and they will get fed up of saying it.

Lorraine xx

Sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by June View Post
    It sure did Vik. Cameron (our son) has moved away with work, whilst visiting him we were introduced to some of his workmates who said it was a pleasure to meet us and that Cam had told them he has great parents and had a fantastic childhood . We both had a lump in our throats. Wow its what you hope for your kids, but to hear it, its like winning the lottery only better.

Ahh, that's lovely, June!

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

What a ridiculous comment about being able to go home and 'relax'. Most of the time I only have my 2 year old son at home at the moment but it's not relaxing and that's without mindees!

It amazes me that some parents just seem to sit at home all day watching day time tv and that's what they think we and other parents do too!

That kind of attitude does annoy me, if only they knew what we did and the long hours we work with and without the children!

Apr 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

To the comments in the street I hear over & over I supress the urge to retort rudely and just smile back instead (you never know who might be a potential future customer!) I just treat it as part of the "hello, how are you?" "Fine, how are you?" ritual - you know how we greet people we know and instead of answering fully & honestly we talk absolute cr** p instead

I just reply briefly eg:
    "you've got your hands full/work cut out for you"
    They'e not all mine, I'm a childminder.
    Good thing I love my job isn't it?

- "only 1 today?"
    Just for now.. I'm picking up [no of children] at lunchtime/after school etc
    Yes, great counting. (just kidding, haven't said that one [yet!]

"No buggy today then?"
    No, we're all too big for a buggy now, aren't we guys?"

"No children today?"
    No its my day off, I am allowed you know.

And to the many who tell me they wouldn't/couldn't do my job I just say I wouldn't want to do theirs either!

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by susi513 View Post
    To the comments in the street I hear over & over I supress the urge to retort rudely and just smile back instead (you never know who might be a potential future customer!) I just treat it as part of the "hello, how are you?" "Fine, how are you?" ritual - you know how we greet people we know and instead of answering fully & honestly we talk absolute cr** p instead

I just reply briefly eg:
    "you've got your hands full/work cut out for you"
    They'e not all mine, I'm a childminder.
    Good thing I love my job isn't it?

- "only 1 today?"
    Just for now.. I'm picking up [no of children] at lunchtime/after school etc
    Yes, great counting. (just kidding, haven't said that one [yet!]

"No buggy today then?"
    No, we're all too big for a buggy now, aren't we guys?"

"No children today?"
    No its my day off, I am allowed you know.

And to the many who tell me they wouldn't/couldn't do my job I just say I wouldn't want to do theirs either!

love it lol made me laugh out load!! I always get no pushchair ect comments when not got baby! (althought I need it for the amount of school stuff somedays lol!!)

I always get dont' know how you do it! I don't think I could sit on my bum allday, I love my job! (I also love this site after lunch when the babies in bed! Rest eh! Always end up on here, still work related really)