Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default how do you do a smooth transition of things home

hello.. I'm finding each afternoon when everyone goes home I have an array
    of 'stuff' all over my home.. like.. socks, rain jackets, shoes (generally all stay in shoe box).. comfy blankets, dummies, comfy animals, cardigans, bodywarmers, computer games... now with quite a few LOs to manage my brain goes a bit blank by the end of the day and can't always remember what everyone had/didn't have.. I'm thinking of giving everyone a bag to put on their peg. where all said 'stuff' can go and can then get taken home (minus bag)...

how does everyone else do it?.. by the end of the day by brain goes abit fluffy and this isn't a good time of day for remembering things...xx

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: how do you do a smooth transition of things home

Most of mine bring a bag with them and that's where everything gets put when they're not using it.

Doesn't always work but mostly saves a lot of time searching at the end of the day

Miffy xx

Mar02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I only have under 5's at the moment, so its a bit easier.

Their bags are kept in the hallway and I try and keep everything in there when not in use and then collect up anything else just before their home time.

There are parents who do say, oh, its ok, leave it til tomorrow - erm,no, I dont have enough room!!!

Rachel x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mine have a bag of their own and I put things away when they are finished with. If parents don't bring a bag, I give them a cloth one to use.

It really helps keep the bits together.

I have a friend who has drawers for all her little ones by the front door. They got really good at popping things in their drawers when they have finished. Then she took on a child with ADHD who used to tip them all up so that idea had to go

Non childminder member
    ex-childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    Most of mine bring a bag with them and that's where everything gets put when they're not using it.

Doesn't always work but mostly saves a lot of time searching at the end of the day

Miffy xx
    mine too, plus you have to "train" them to put their own stuff away so if you see X putting down his computer game you say "put that away before you leave it here or it gets broken" or for the younger ones "put your cardi in your bag X"

They soon learn to put their things in the right place and it saves you having to sort it out.You could have a lost and found by the front door and anything that doesn't get put away goes in for parents/kids to sort.
    Come back David....

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine each have a hook, so all their clothes (coats, cardis, hats etc) go on there. If they take anything off in the day they know it goes on their peg. Shoes/wellies/slippers go underneath their peg.

Everything else goes in their own bags. I find I have to be methodical as I go through the day and make sure nothing is left lying around, or I do tend to forget things like toys, beakers etc. If anything isn't being played with or used, it goes in their bag.

Then 15 minutes before home time I check everything is ready and lined up in the hall, including art work we've done etc. That's particularly important if you have several parents arriving at the same time as you can just hand them everything together.

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have coat hooks and shoe box. The rest goes in their own bags. I do sometimes end up with things that are not mine when i am putting toys away though and at the moment i have a pair of crocs that don't seem to belong to anyone - i am confident ALL the children went home in shoes........or did they????????
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

Nov 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

at the moment i have a pair of crocs that don't seem to belong to anyone - i am confident ALL the children went home in shoes........or did they????????
    Thats so funny!! They must be somebody's spares........either that or you've got little elf shoemakers that pop out at night time......if you have got little elfs by the way could you order me some Jimmy Choos?

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have small storage boxes for each child by the front door with their names and photos on and when I find things lying around i put them in the box or if they are old enough try to get them to remember to do it. I keep their bags in there too and when they have finished their lunch I put their lunchboxes in there so I am not hunting around at the end of the day. I also out their cardi's/coats in there as I don't have individual pegs for them.
    The ofsted lady liked the idea too as it gives the children their own spaces to keep their things eg comfort items and they know where they are if they need them.
    However it depends how many children you have and how much space there is in your hall although you could keep them somewhere else if you had more room. I only have 2 mindees maximum so this system works for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Cartledge View Post
    I have coat hooks and shoe box. The rest goes in their own bags. I do sometimes end up with things that are not mine when i am putting toys away though and at the moment i have a pair of crocs that don't seem to belong to anyone - i am confident ALL the children went home in shoes........or did they????????
    Or did ALL the children go home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you got one lurking somewhere Penny???????????????????

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have storage boxes for each child in my lobby area. In here goes nappies, wipes, change of clothes etc.

I then have drawstring cloth bags that hang on individual pegs and go home at the end of the day. In here are their daily diaries plus any items they may have brought in that morning ie a toy, cardigan if not needed at home time etc.

They can put things in their bag throughout the day or I can as I tidy up.

This works for me.
    Helen

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a set of named drawers in the hallway where I bung bits that need to go home. Each child also has a box in the playroom for nappies/ spare clothes etc

june 86
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

back in the bags for me

ziller

Post Thanks / Like

I have pegs in the porch with name labels on them (sparklebox) where their coats and bags get hung, their shoes go underneath, if socks get taken off - i put them straight into their shoes (lost a pair last week before collection time so more aware now lol)

One mindee (age 3.4yrs) comes with a dummy and wearing a pull-up, but i ask for the dummy as soon as he comes in and put it in his bag, then change him straight into his pants and put the dry pull-up into my bin sorry thats another post .

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jen4Kids View Post
    I have pegs in the porch with name labels on them (sparklebox) where their coats and bags get hung, their shoes go underneath, if socks get taken off - i put them straight into their shoes (lost a pair last week before collection time so more aware now lol)

One mindee (age 3.4yrs) comes with a dummy and wearing a pull-up, but i ask for the dummy as soon as he comes in and put it in his bag, then change him straight into his pants and put the dry pull-up into my bin sorry thats another post .

I do exactly the same!