Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Oh no! Feeling awful!!!

On average, at what age would you normally stop sleeping a child in a cot?

I'm asking because the 19 month old has just fallen out over the side of the cot, which is on it's lowest setting, and almost come through my kitchen ceiling

There's no way he's ready for a bed, even with a guard on the side. The only solution I can think of is sleeping him in the cushioned playpen at floor level. Do you think this would be ok?

I've checked him over and he seems alright, but I feel absolutely awful and I fear some bruises may develop later. I never in my worst nightmare expected him to do that! He's very mischievous and hyperactive. I can't get him to slow or calm down at all.

july 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Oh no! Feeling awful!!!

oh no bless you! my dd used to flip herself over the side of the cot when she wanted to get out, so we put her in a v low cot bed at around 20monthes. Although as you say he`s very hyper it may be a problem getting him to stay in a bed in the first place? I think the cushioned playpen sounds good, check with parents first though, also if hes flipped himself over the side of the cot surely he`ll be able to do this on a playpen too?

I also found our dd stayed ok in a travel as she couldnt get enough grip on the sides to flip over.....failing all that, pad the surrounding area with duvets, pillows etc?

TheBTeam Guest

Oh no poor you! and poor him! I dont have a cot that i use, i do have a travel cot but dont tend to use it. My children of this age sleep on mats/cushion on the floor covered with a sheet and their individual blanket, working with my dh we have on occassions had 5 children sleeping at on time in a row, it looked like the toddler room in a nursery! As soon as the baby can sit up in the baby lie back chair and is therefore not safe i change to laying on the floor as above.

I am surprised at how well this works and am lucky enough to have an area that be kept from the rest for non sleeping or earlier wakers.

I have heard of some children under a year falling out of cots, so guess it is very much individual both my children walked at 9months but never once climbed out of their cot!
    Glad no serious damage to the child or the ceiling

Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

My DD was 14 months when she went into a bed (a low one) because she used to climb the bars and get out and I was worried one day she would land on her head.

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jess View Post
    also if hes flipped himself over the side of the cot surely he`ll be able to do this on a playpen too?
    I don't think he'd be able to flip himself over the playpen because the distance from the top of the playpen to the floor is greater than from the cot mattress to the top of cot bars. With the cot, it's further to fall though - as my kitchen ceiling can testify

The boy is so hyper there's no way he'd stay in a bed or lay on a mat. He's the type of child that's always on the go i.e. pushing, pulling, tugging, climbing. Even my 16 year old, deaf, one-eyed cat has had enough and now spits at him. I can't walk anywhere without the boy climbing up my leg!

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My son used to do this when he wanted to get out up out of the cot and the bed guard was no good he would just not stay in the bed - so in the end I borrowed a travel cot and he spelt in that from about 20 months to 27 months he now has gone into a bed
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would go with a travel cot/playpen - and the cushions around it on the floor sound likes a good idea.

Glad he's ok - hope you recover soon! Sounds like you need a stiff drink!!
    Georgina x

feb 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like my DD she is 7 now and still hyper! I put all mine down to sleep in the pram and put them somewhere quiet.

But my own little darling stopped sleeping during the day at around 1, and still refused to sleep at night. And yes we had to get rid of the cot as she would fling herself over the sides!

Kids who'd have 'em!

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FizzysFriends View Post
    My DD was 14 months when she went into a bed (a low one) because she used to climb the bars and get out and I was worried one day she would land on her head.
    My DD was 13mths too as she climbed out of the cot. It was a cot bed so I took the sides off and put a bedguard on both sides and she was fine. I then put a stair gate at her bedroom door!
    Paula

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

When I was a live in nanny. The youngest boy was a livewire. At 13 months we heard a bang in the night, mum and I both went to see what on earth had happened.
    Put the light on to find child standing outside of his cot with the bottom fallen through, think he had been jumping! He stood there with his blankie saying uh oh! Makes a change from climbing out the top I suppose (although a few months later he took to doing that too!)
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by georgie456 View Post
    I would go with a travel cot/playpen - and the cushions around it on the floor sound likes a good idea.

Glad he's ok - hope you recover soon! Sounds like you need a stiff drink!!

Was going to say the same. Travel cots much harder to climb out of. My daughter was in a bed by 20 months though but went through hell keeping her in bed at night-time and if this happens during day-time nap might not be the best thing!

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My daughter has just moved into a big bed and she's 26mths. I'm sure it's fine to put mindee in playpen to sleep as long as it's soft, can you put a cover on it.

July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Travel cots may be harder to CLIMB out of but my DS took to rocking his till it eventually tipped over so he could get out!!!! This happened at my parents house while I was there, after that he was on a matress on the floor when we stayed there!!!! He never attempted to climb out his cot at home though!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Dont beat yourself up about it

I do not know many toddlers that have not done the same thing at one stage or another - it must be great fun working out how to get out

I would stick to cushions on the floor safest way

Hope there was no bruises

Angel xx

Non childminder member
    lazy bum!
    Post Thanks / Like

wow think of all the EYS goals you can tick off now!

climbing for a purpose, mental thinking to get out of situations etc

hoep you are ok now too

my 22 month old sleeps on a flat mat bed with a cushion of her choice and a blanket, i only have one other mindee when she is sleeping so noone is running around to accidently stand on her. I've never used a cot or a travel cot for mindees but have never looked after babies either.
    Busy losing the will to live mwuahahahaha!

Dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Pity you cant just put a lid on it - lol

DD never even attempted to climb out her cot. In fact she was in it till she was nearly 3 when she went into one of these mid sleeper beds(lower bunk bed)
    DS on the other hand would either climb out his cot or get his leg stuck in bars on purpose and then scream ...... huge smile when you went through and wasnt as stuck as you first thought! crafty eh?
    XX Jill XX