twins, double trouble?? or twice the fun??
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    registe
    Post Thanks / Like

Default twins, double trouble?? or twice the fun??

Hi there girls,
    have just been asked if I would consider looking after twins. ? Currently have dd aged 22months, minded child who is 2yrs 5months, she comes 5 days a week from 2pm, she is contracted till 5.30 but regularly goes at 4.30. Her 5 1/12 yr old brother comes after school and again he goes at 4.30.
    I have two other afterschoolers 6 and 9 on the books but they are currently on retainer as one parent is off work at the moment. (Personally don't think they will come back, but am happpy to keep the places if thats what they want for the time being.)
    The twins are boy and girl and will be 1yr in July, mum is looking to go back to work in April but want to get things all sorted before she goes back. Have loads of experience with kids (16yrs) but I have never done young twins my last set were 8 when I started so different ball game.
    All help and advice most gratefully received, there is such a wealth of knowledge here, someone is bound to think of something I havent!!

Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: twins, double trouble?? or twice the fun??

We have had twins in the past and it no different than any other 2 kiddies. Just make sure you are not over stretching yourself you will have 4 under 3

Post Thanks / Like

I think you would need to get a variation because you would have 2 under the age of 1 for a few months. I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

I looked after twins who were 9months younger than my youngest son.

They were about 14months when I first had them and I needed a triple buggy for a while - fortunately their mum hired one for me from the local tamba group.

It was hard work - for a while it was all changing nappies but all the boys got on very well.

Unless I've read your post wrong you would need a variation to care for them both unless mum will be collecting before 2pm

Good luck whatever you decide

Miffy xx

Apr 98
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you would need a variation.

I think this will be extremly challenging and to be honest it would not be something I would want......

good luck.....

let us know what you decide
    Dee
    Independent Cambridge Diet Counsellor

Life may not be the party we hoped for.......but while we're here we should dance!

jul 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    out standing
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: twins, double trouble?? or twice the fun??

i have twins of my own and they nearly always did things at the same time, you will need extra high chairs & equipment, think about transport etc too- i minded some once ( bad experience ) approx age 3 cannot remember now. But i could not tell them apart lol had for about 2 weeks then they got chicken pox never so glad in my life lol .................they were realy spoilt and never acknowledged me when i spoke to them . Then mum change job and did not need me any more, phhhw was i pleased , soon filled gap
    my own twins b/g will be 21 this year and still take turns to be a pain lol
    good luck x
    outstanding x 2

Post Thanks / Like

I think you would need a variation too

I mind twins they are 6 now and they have been coming to me since they were 3 both gorgeous but can be little monsters ha

I also have twin sisters
    They were a complete and utter nightmare - identical and very naughty when younger
    They used to have to wear a name badge at school and they used to swap them over so they could pretend to be each other haha

Looking after twins is no different from looking after others though

Good luck with this let us know how it goes or what you decide

Angel xx

july 20
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i if aloud would jump at the chance to look after twins, i have twin brothers they were monsters, but so much fun to grow up with, like chalk and cheese.

hazelx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

its a lot to take on and as everyone has said you will need a variation from Ofsted to have these twins by the sounds of it, have a good long think first before deciding what to do xxx
    Love Mrs Edward Cullen x

Dec 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Twins - double trouble!! You can count on it lol

But I think as long as you are within your numbers its not going to be any different from any other 2 children

good luck
    x
    Big banana hugs from me!

xxx

jun 89
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I have just started with twin boys aged 18months... they are very mischievous and great fun good luck to you

registe
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks girls for all your advice All much appreciated, I would need a variation, but have been granted one in the past when my daughter was 8months and i looked after a 3month old so I don't think that would be a problem. If they object to numbers only, hubby is home all day so dd can be looked after by him, so one less to worry about.. Got most equipment, double pram etc etc, would need to get hubby to walk to the bustop with me as I havent got enough hand to push two buggies, but he is reg as my assistant anyway so would be ok. Got to have a face to facemeeting with the mum so will let you know how it all goes.

Dec 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Flora.

You would have to be careful with the variation situtation. I think even if your hubby was there it doesnt matter as your daughter is still there and she would still count as a child in the home. I may be wrong but i am sure this is the case

Hope you get the variation

xxx
    Big banana hugs from me!

xxx

Dec 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I mind M who is 5 days older than my daughter, they are nearly 18 months.

It is great fun! They are so cute together and at the same stages so fairly easy to care for. I love having M!

I agree with Lana about the variation though, I think your DD will count in your numbers weather your hubbie is there or not.

registe
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    when I registered, I was told if Nige was here and could take sole charge of ds as he was 4 , not just be somewhere nearby then he could come off my numbers. You never get the same answer twice do you, so I would double double check!

Dec '06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    V Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would double check with them and get it in writing. I too was told that since my hubby was my assistant that the days he was at home my 2 would be cared for by him and left me to take a further 2 kids. After 6 months of having an extra child on the days hubby was caring for our 2 got a visit from CC to say that I was over my numbers and had to loose the child.

So be careful as its not nice to have to drop a child like that.
    Fiona xx