Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: juice or water

Registered Childminder since
    may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default juice or water

i have offered juice milk or water from day one with all my mindees, one child will only drink water one's mum only lets him have water and the other 4 drink juice, the two that drink water only drink about one sports bottle a day where as the others get through 3 or 4 , they are with me for about 8-10hrs a day depending on the day and this is just in the winter.
    i am concerned that the two water drinkers dont drink enough but obviously cant force them and i have questioned myself as to wether i should be providing juice to drink or should i just provide water but as the children don't drink much when they have water surley having juice is better as it keeps up their fluid intake .
    ? I have to say i woudnt just drink water all day, i have jucie, tea, coffee so feel its wrong of me to offer just water when it drink other stuff too.
    what do you all let yours drink?

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: juice or water

All mine drink water with an occasional juice in the day. They drink more in warm weather and it is always available, I ask throughout the day and make sure at mealtimes that a bit is drunk.
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

forgot to add, at the moment mine have juice in sports bottles readily avalible on the coffee table and when they finish a bottle i refill it but we put a new carpet in the weekend and as even the bottles leak i am now thinking of letting them come to me and ask for a drink then giving it to them at the table and the ones who are to little to ask i will reguarly offer, do you think this is ok?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I offer what i am asked to offer by parents. Some say water, some juice. But I must admit the juice drinkers have water with a tiny splash of juice.
    Drinks are kept in sports bottles or non spill cups for the littlies, which are all checked regularly. They are on a table that all of the children can reach
    I make sure children drink regularly and remind them, because they do seem to forget
    Needs to Zumba

Post Thanks / Like

l use those non spill cups and allow then to have drinks when they want them

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine all have water as I don't have the space or time to store and clean teeth after every juice drink. Dentists advise water or milk during the day with juice at meal times to reduce decay. Too many children are walking around sucking on bottles and this is bad for them.

Mine have water in bottles all day and have water in a cup at meal times.

Parents are aware of this as it is in my policy and highlighted when signing contracts.
    Debbie

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep Debbie can totally see where your coming from but... what if they wont drink the water
    Needs to Zumba

Nov 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I offer juice, water or milk but to be honest I only add enough juice (no added sugar) to change the colour of the water and give a very slight taste just so the kids do drink plenty and it keeps them happy. Im trying to the encourage the 2-3 yr olds to drink from a normal glass/beaker so I pour a cup and leave it on the table in the kitchen for them with a jug of water and they like to pour their own drink

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

They do.... Children won't let themselves die of thirst. I think it is education and it they are used to juice and are around age 2 then dilute it bit by bit.
    Debbie

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SLC View Post
    Yep Debbie can totally see where your coming from but... what if they wont drink the water
    this is my worry my son wont drink water, at school its all hes allowed, he dosent drink all day so comes home absoultly gasping.
    also i would feel mean not giving juice because its what they are used to and i drink juice and tea and coffee too.
    maybe they could have water in their bottles and juice at meal times. i do water their juice down loads

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

debbie, can i ask, do you think you have parents who havent come to you because you only offer water and also have you had anyone complain
    i am thinking of just offering juice at meal times but because i offer juice all the time at the moment not sure if this would cause parents to moan, do i need to discuss this with parents first or should i just do it, after all they are still getting drinks and juice withmeals so they arent missing out.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mushpea View Post
    this is my worry my son wont drink water, at school its all hes allowed, he dosent drink all day so comes home absoultly gasping.
    also i would feel mean not giving juice because its what they are used to and i drink juice and tea and coffee too.
    maybe they could have water in their bottles and juice at meal times. i do water their juice down loads
    The jice drinkers have coloured water, and i try to wean them off, but the little monkeys know when there is no juice in the water
    Needs to Zumba

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I give them whatever the parents have said they can have. I only have 2 at the moment - the 3 year old will have milk or water during the day and juice at lunchtime and the 1 year old has a cup with water in that Mum supplies (!) and sometimes some milk that Mum supplies but she doesn't drink much cows milk as Mum still feeds her and she's not keen on it.

I think you have to do what the parents want - if they are only allowed water at home the parents will quickly find out if you have been giving them juice as they will refuse the water at home. I believe it's best for all children to have water from being babies - what they aren't given they won't miss!

I do understand it's hard to get them to drink sometimes - maybe try putting the water in a cup with their favourite character on - Peppa pig, bob the builder etc. Just a thought?

Sophie x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I do disucss my policies with the parents and they are all keen for their children to have water (even if they themselves have given them juice). it has never been an issue and as far as I know I haven't lost anyone because of it.

Parents do not always know best as I found out - my son had teeth removed at 7 because of the juice decaying his teeth. This was sugar free. Hence my concerns now.
    Debbie

0ct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just reserved from local argos an electric water cooling dispenser reduced to £9.99 I'm hoping the novelty value of having cold water on tap that the kids can help themselves to will make them drink more.My daughter drinks plenty but really likes water cold so I keep it in the fridge.But in the summer my fridge gets full.
    Caroline

Apr 98
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieS26 View Post
    They do.... Children won't let themselves die of thirst. I think it is education and it they are used to juice and are around age 2 then dilute it bit by bit.
    This is what I do.

As a rule I don't give juice.

If the child is still a baby/toddler when they first come then I offer water straight away but if they are a little older when they start and are used to juice then I slowly dilute it so they are drinking water.

I also encourage parents to give water at home too but do it in such a way that it doesn't seem that I am interferring or over ruling them

Dee
    xx
    Dee
    Independent Cambridge Diet Counsellor

Life may not be the party we hoped for.......but while we're here we should dance!

TheBTeam Guest

I give my little ones water all day, even when the mums say they only drink juice they do drink the water with me. For the older ones they do get very diluted squash when they come from school, although some will only drink water.

My worst problem is with dd she is the juice and squash fiend, my son is good and likes water!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieS26 View Post
    I do disucss my policies with the parents and they are all keen for their children to have water (even if they themselves have given them juice). it has never been an issue and as far as I know I haven't lost anyone because of it.

Parents do not always know best as I found out - my son had teeth removed at 7 because of the juice decaying his teeth. This was sugar free. Hence my concerns now.
    I know that what you are saying is right, and parent usually know that we are doing whats best for their children, but i have children in my care whom i am trying to wean off juice, and its hard when they blatently refuse to drink water. But i am persevering
    Needs to Zumba

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

so do you think i should discuss with the parents that the juice drinkers will be offered water during the day in their sports bottles but juice at meal times or is it ok to just go ahead and do it?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheBTeam View Post
    I give my little ones water all day, even when the mums say they only drink juice they do drink the water with me. For the older ones they do get very diluted squash when they come from school, although some will only drink water.

My worst problem is with dd she is the juice and squash fiend, my son is good and likes water!
    The little ones are easier to convert, the older ones are a lot harder
    Needs to Zumba

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast