Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: juice or water

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: juice or water

I only provide water if parents don't provide juice. On the odd occassion I have provided juice, I've been drunk out of house and home, followed by continuous potty sitting.

None of my parents have ever offered to contribute to the cost of juice and at the rate it would be drunk, I'd be in negative equity as soon as you could say "mine's a martini, shaken not stirred"

registe
    Post Thanks / Like

I offer all things except fizzy drinks and tea and coffee.

I work on the principal if I don't always fancy water why should they only get it????

I drink loads of water during the day and so I do give dd water, but mindees don't drink it through choice.

I think balance is the key and diluting the squash very weakly.

I drank squash and milk etc as a child and I have perfect teeth.

My dentist said in an ideal world they would never drink any thing other than water or milk but then even eating things such as healthy raisins are bad for your teeth so she says a balanced healthy diet is the key, twice daily brushing and reg dental checks

Each to their own I say

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

[My dentist said in an ideal world they would never drink any thing other than water or milk but then even eating things such as healthy raisins are bad for your teeth so she says a balanced healthy diet is the key, twice daily brushing and reg dental checks

Each to their own I say [/QUOTE]

acutually that reminds me of when it took my son to the denstist one time, i was told that it was better for him to snack on crisps than fruit as the acid in the fruit rots his teeth. i have always been careful regarding what they eat and thought i was doing the right thing by letting him snack on fruit but apparently not!
    i guess everything in moderation.

registe
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mushpea View Post
    [My dentist said in an ideal world they would never drink any thing other than water or milk but then even eating things such as healthy raisins are bad for your teeth so she says a balanced healthy diet is the key, twice daily brushing and reg dental checks

Each to their own I say

acutually that reminds me of when it took my son to the denstist one time, i was told that it was better for him to snack on crisps than fruit as the acid in the fruit rots his teeth. i have always been careful regarding what they eat and thought i was doing the right thing by letting him snack on fruit but apparently not!
    i guess everything in moderation.[/QUOTE]

Apart from a few thigns in my life I try to apply this to most things.

I have to say I get fed up with the pc healthy eating brigade, now dont't get me wrong I know we have a major crisis on our hands with kids and their eating/dietry habits but the way some schools teach it is sooo balck and white.

I have a son who is like a stick and is so hung up on good or bad foods that I think this is equally unhealthy.

Equally I have two mindees who are overweight, and making some food bad and forbidden only make them sooo much more desirable.

Who knows, with out the benefit of hindsight we won't know if we have got it right

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine drink water too. I have a fridge where they can get the water themselves so they have constant access to it as well. They sometimes have juice at teatimes or if we have a party but never fizzy drinks.

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i give just water or milk

I have a water dispenser and the kids just love pouring there own

no one has demanded juice yet

We have milk with snack time

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a water dispenser but its i my kitchen were the children cant reach as i didnt want the little ones soaking the floor, how do you ensure the children dont play with it and soak everything including themselves!

Post Thanks / Like

? I have to say i woudnt just drink water all day, i have jucie, tea, coffee so feel its wrong of me to offer just water when it drink other stuff too.
    what do you all let yours drink?
    I had to laugh at that because I think like that too

But ........

I do not like any drink of any description only WATER - It has never done me any harm

I know it does seem boring and strange though and I know just where you are coming from and for that reason I offer a choice of both

I think like food children need a variety with their drinks but we do usually have milk or water with juice sometimes

But saying that water does not hurt either if you know what I mean ( I should know ha )

Angel xx
    Last edited by angeldelight; 14-04-2009 at 07:59 AM.

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

to be honest its quite stiff, its only small designed for little ones and its bright pink and blue.

It takes a bit of effort to press the button in, so only a bit comes out at once. I let them try first if they struggle i help, so far no spills. I don't think it would anyway

The parents all love it, my two year old spends ages trying to work it out , can't wait till he figures it out, will have my camera ready

Latest Inspection Grade
    Irrelevant
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PixiePetal View Post
    All mine drink water with an occasional juice in the day. They drink more in warm weather and it is always available, I ask throughout the day and make sure at mealtimes that a bit is drunk.
    mine only drink water apart from when we go to toddler groups

Non childminder member
    lazy bum!
    Post Thanks / Like

water!

juice is offered at lunch time only, milk is offered at mid morning snack, youngest brings her own milk Mums choice.

the only one who crumbles about water is my Son but he has a cup of tea with me to make up for it.
    Busy losing the will to live mwuahahahaha!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

so do you think i should discuss with the parents that the juice drinkers will be offered water during the day in their sports bottles but juice at meal times or is it ok to just go ahead and do it?
    It is definately something that needs discussing. As a rule I don't give squash but will sometimes at lunch time. Mine are all used to water now and will ask for it.
    Debbie

apr 08
    Post Thanks / Like

My own 2 boys have been brought up on milk and water, we very rarley have juice in the house, that goes for coke & lemonade etc too.
    My policies state that I only offer water and milk so thats all that mindees get too.
    Have had no child or parent compain so far..
    Mandy
    Anyone got any Chocolate Buttons?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I supply water only. They drink enough juice at home. All parents are fine with this... especially a mum whose 2 kids NEVER drank water at home... she couldn't believe that they drank water at me! Was so chuffed

It's a supr habit to get kids into - drinking plain (healthy!) water.
    Jen

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SLC View Post
    The little ones are easier to convert, the older ones are a lot harder
    Older ones parents normally allow some juice. For the younger ones, sports bottles which aren't transparent can help, then they don't know who has got juice and who has got water.

Normally I offer water most of the day for the under-5's and only juice at mealtimes and only if they ask.

Nx

Jan 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I give water, milk or "no added sugar" squash - normally a mixture during the day dependant on how much they have already drunk.

In an ideal world it would be great if children all drank water . We then wouldnt have to worry about tooth decay from natural fruit juices and sqaush, cancer from "no added sugar" squashes and lactose intolerances from milk.

From personal experience with my daughter I know however that if she only has water and never anything else she doesnt drink enough. She is prone to being on the constipated side and not drinking enough fluid affects this. This in turn stops her emptying her bladder properly and the result is that from 3 years old she has been on night time preventative antibiotics against urine infections and will be on them until she is 8 due to the number of infections she has.

So although children wont deprive themselves of enough water to kill them, not drinking enough, for some children, can also have serious consequences. It is important for children to consume enough fluid to keep many of their organs functioning properly and they are not always the best judge of how much is enough.

Everyone will have different experiences depending on their children, some have weak teeth and need to avoid juice altogether or some like my daughter have normal strength teeth but needs to drink a certain amount of fluid a day. Some will use juice as a stomach filler and will drink litres of sqaush if you let them!!!

I have one child here, who's mother does only want him drinking water, which is absolutely fine, but I would say he drinks around a third of what the others do and they're not massive guzzlers.

As with all things, best to taylor it to the children and parents you have. No one rule can possibly apply as every child is different (would be so much easier if they werent though!!)

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am finding this thread really interesting. All my mindees and my 2 drink water. DD, when a small tot coming off milk, refused juice so I decided to stick to water as it was cheaper to chuck away when she refused it

At nearly 15, that is still what she drinks, does like OJ if it is smooth but needs water after as it does not take away a thirst like water.

DS is the same.
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Mar 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I offer milk, water and sugar free juice, also diluted pure juice. I usually give the little ones water for most of the day apart from the children whos parents send juice. I find the older ones enjoy water more! It is always available. I find one of my mindees will not drink water, they are nearly 2. So I give them juice at first and then just add more water to the beaker when they have a little left when they are not looking! It works always an empty beaker, but generally speaking I do what parents want. One parent has even put this as an answer in a questionnaire that their child is provided with juice and water so they have plenty to drink through out the day.

Sorry waffling now hope u know what I mean.....................

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

have decided that all drinks will stay in the kitchen (new carpet in lounge) and that children old enough will have drinks of their choice in cups not sports bottles at home but when we go out they will have only water as they will be in sports bottles so close to teeth, also if have found that when we go out if they have juice they guzzle it all before we even get to our destiantion then we have to do several wee stops and they dont have any drink left for the day, with water today they hardly drank any when we were out.

Dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I do milk or water as a rule but if it comes to it I will do v.well diluted sugar-free squash or pure juice. Whatever the parents want really.

I am hoping my mindees will follow the example my own kids set as even though we've never had a "water or milk only" policy here that's all they ever ask for.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast