Hahahaha I will also zip it, i think lol

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: First Aid Certificate due to expire

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    That's rather harsh - I have been attempting to get on a first aid course without success for 18 months ( thinking well ahead!!! ) - no fault of my own, there simply isn't the provision in some areas, not everyone lives in big towns with loads of resources.
    If you cannot get on a course, you cannot get on a course.

Luckily when I was inspected my First Aid was still in date. I'm finally getting my course done in April.
    I'm not being harsh I don't think. It is our responsiblity to have a First Aid qualification. I know some areas have difficulty and courses are not provided the way they should be. We had to batter Herts a couple of years ago because of the lack of courses and the inaccessability of the ones there were. We now have loads of courses. We are lucky we only pay £10.

I have a friend in Bucks who has to arrange her own with a group and it has cost her £75-£100 for years, she also has to pay a lot for Food Hygiene and has had to be registered as a food business for years. She doesn't moan they just have to get on with it and sort it out hard and as unfair as it might be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    I'm not being harsh I don't think. It is our responsiblity to have a First Aid qualification. I know some areas have difficulty and courses are not provided the way they should be. We had to batter Herts a couple of years ago because of the lack of courses and the inaccessability of the ones there were. We now have loads of courses. We are lucky we only pay £10.

I have a friend in Bucks who has to arrange her own with a group and it has cost her £75-£100 for years, she also has to pay a lot for Food Hygiene and has had to be registered as a food business for years. She doesn't moan they just have to get on with it and sort it out hard and as unfair as it might be.
    Lighten up Ricky

We are all human and all forget things

Have you never done anything wrong in your life ??

Angel xx

~Chelle~ Guest

Very harsh I think - we are not all perfect - only human and we do make mistakes - yes it is our responsibilty but you cant book on a course that does'nt exist.

I dont think anyone is moaning just expressing how hard it is!

Chelle x

Latest Inspection Grade
    6 Excellent
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not the money - we get some free places that we are up against nurseries, playgroups etc for free places - don't get me started on that one please I'd be here all day!!

I couldn't even get on any paid for courses, I was prepared to inconvenience all my parents and also lose a days pay and fork out travel costs and almost £100 out of my own pocket for a course - and it wasn't for want of trying! - atually telling a lie I did get on one course but that was cancelled get this, for lack of interest!!!!

Lady Haha Guest

I think it is quite harsh to say people should think about it alot more ahead! To be absolutely honest, I didn't even realise that it was so hard to get on a course til I read this thread! When I did mine two years ago, I booked it about two weeks before hand, so I must have been lucky without even realising at the time. If I hadn't read this thread, I would honestly have left it til about two or three months before the cert expired to look into getting on another one.

If you don't know you need to book so far in advance why would you?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DudleyChildmind View Post
    Does anyone know what the procedure is if a first aid certificate is due to be renewed but you can't get on a course right away? Are you still able to childmind if you can prove to ofsted that a course has been booked?

Did you manage to sort one out now ?

Angel xx

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine ran out last July and I tried and tried to get on a course. One was when I was on holiday and another I couldnt do cos of prior commitment.

I ended up doing it in February of this year .

I think as long as you are trying to get yourself on a course, there is very little they can do.

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angeldelight View Post
    Did you manage to sort one out now ?

Angel xx
    Not really Angel

She has recently returned back to childminding and she is now getting everything into place but she can not get on a course until June, either paid or unpaid, we've tried everything.

june 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angeldelight View Post
    Thats unfair and really annoying

I wish everyone had the same rules

Angel xx
    I had to pay for mine and hubbys also £50 each

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had to pay £25 booking it through the CIS.

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We must be very lucky in the Cumbria area as all the main training is free and also with the First Aid Certificate. We get a training bulleting twice a year will all the courses for childminder's and you always get on the course.

I think if it's a legel requirerment OFSTED should be trained to give First Aid trainning to childminders that can't get on a course as it's their requirment.

John.

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a good idea John

Post Thanks / Like

Hope you sort it out soon

Another bit of advice I was given by our early years team was if you have a local nursery - then call and ask them if they can slot you in with their training with their staff

They get theirs booked really quickly so I am told not sure if it is true

It was actually my daughters manager / owner of her nursery that managed to get me on a course - she rang the very same people that I had rang too and she managed to get me in straight away

So if you do know your local nursery it might be worth asking if they can help?

Angel xx

Oct 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I always do mine with the local preschool,they automatically include me in their numbers when they book their course. Because so many of them do it at the same time they are able to book an instructor to come to them. We all know each other as well which is much less intimidating than going somewhere alone. So it is always worth asking local playgroups/preschools etc. It also helps me with communication with other providers as they are more than willing to share their plans and observations as they know and understand and respect what I do.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123