Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default First Aid Certificate due to expire

Does anyone know what the procedure is if a first aid certificate is due to be renewed but you can't get on a course right away? Are you still able to childmind if you can prove to ofsted that a course has been booked?

may 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: First Aid Certificate due to expire

As far as I understand, if you have proof you are booked on a 1st aid course or at least on the reserve list then i think Ofsted are ok. I think!
    xx

Oct 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats what I have always understood as well

Pipsqueak Guest

you are in breach of regulation not having a current certificate. a childminder in our area was marked as inadequate because her certificate had lapsed by days by the time of her inspection - even though she was booked on a course for that weekend.

if you can't get on a course - give your local St Johns Ambulance a call and ask them if you can get on one of theres. you may have to travel for it though

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    you are in breach of regulation not having a current certificate. a childminder in our area was marked as inadequate because her certificate had lapsed by days by the time of her inspection - even though she was booked on a course for that weekend.

if you can't get on a course - give your local St Johns Ambulance a call and ask them if you can get on one of theres. you may have to travel for it though
    This has always been my understanding as well.

I suggest you ring Ofsted and ask tomorrow - 08456 404040

may 05
    Post Thanks / Like

blimey sorry to give you wrong info

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by claires View Post
    blimey sorry to give you wrong info
    don't be hard on yourself - we all make mistakes.
    Its in the EYFS somewhere (to tired to look now), once over the info you gave was correct though hun

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Just got back from a course on 'Graded Inspections'. This came up and Ofsted will now grade you as inadequate if your First Aid Cert has lapsed.

It is part of your conditions of registration. Sorry but you should have thought further ahead. I would ring your nearest St John Amblulance, Red Cross and or speak to your Development Worker/ Childrens Centre with some urgency.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    That's my understanding too, it's now a legal requirement so there is no lee-way.

Miffy xx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DudleyChildmind View Post
    Does anyone know what the procedure is if a first aid certificate is due to be renewed but you can't get on a course right away? Are you still able to childmind if you can prove to ofsted that a course has been booked?

Poor you

I had the same problem about a month ago and I was in a panic because I thought Ofsted were due too

Ask Carol I was almost crying and could not get on a course at all even a paid one

Call your local training team and explain the situation , they were fantastic in our area and did get me on one

I had been on a waiting list since last year and they said there were no places till Sept this year

Anyway what annoyed me is that there was supposed to be 21 in our group and only 11 turned up
    So others like us who were in a panic would have jumped at those places

They told me that they can sometimes still fit you in on a day if someone does not turn up - not sure how that works or if its true though

Anyway my advice is pester , pester and pester more

Good luck keep us posted

Angel xx

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all very much for your help. It's not actually for me it's for another childminder who isn't a member on here. She has booked herself on a course but the earliest is June even though she told the CIS it was urgent.

Aug2007
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

From now on when you renew your first aid, Ofsted will be informed so they will have your details on record of when your certificate expires.

I'm half way through my course, got the second half tomorrow. We had to give all our details so the company can inform Ofsted of who has passed.
    Lucy

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If your friend is really desperate then I think I would check out what courses are being held locally that she (or he) could attend and just turn up and see if they will let her/him join if someone doesn't turn up 'cos as someone has previously mentioned there seems to always be a few who do not turn up. Nothing to lose and everything to gain!

Cx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyLucy View Post

I'm half way through my course, got the second half tomorrow. We had to give all our details so the company can inform Ofsted of who has passed.
    Haven't heard that before, makes sense though

Miffy xx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyLucy View Post
    From now on when you renew your first aid, Ofsted will be informed so they will have your details on record of when your certificate expires.

I have not heard that its a good idea though

Where did you hear that Lucy ?

Angel xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    6 Excellent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    Sorry but you should have thought further ahead.

That's rather harsh - I have been attempting to get on a first aid course without success for 18 months ( thinking well ahead!!! ) - no fault of my own, there simply isn't the provision in some areas, not everyone lives in big towns with loads of resources.
    If you cannot get on a course, you cannot get on a course.

Luckily when I was inspected my First Aid was still in date. I'm finally getting my course done in April.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    Just got back from a course on 'Graded Inspections'. This came up and Ofsted will now grade you as inadequate if your First Aid Cert has lapsed.

It is part of your conditions of registration. Sorry but you should have thought further ahead. I would ring your nearest St John Amblulance, Red Cross and or speak to your Development Worker/ Childrens Centre with some urgency.
    That is a bit mean Ricky

We are not all perfect you know and only human after all

Angel xx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    That's rather harsh - I have been attempting to get on a first aid course without success for 18 months ( thinking well ahead!!! ) - no fault of my own, there simply isn't the provision in some areas, not everyone lives in big towns with loads of resources.
    If you cannot get on a course, you cannot get on a course.

Luckily when I was inspected my First Aid was still in date. I'm finally getting my course done in April.

Yes same here I was on our list for ages and in the end did get a cancellation

So much for thinking ahead !!!

Angel xx

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I start to look for suitable courses after 2 years then I'm sure to get it organised in good time before certificate expires.

Cx

aly Guest

we were toldon my one last month that the renewal is up to us to find as we wont get notified. we were also told that it has to be in advance BEFORE they run out.

But I'm in Wales so obviously different here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast