Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: oh no

Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy oh no

im having a wee wobbler

im starting to wonder if i should become a cm??

Ive wanted to do this for years and more so now i have my 2 boys. I dont doubt my ability to do the job but i am worrying about my lack of confidence and im too shy

Im nervous now about dealing with parents especially after reading a few posts about parents some of you have had to deal with

i`m totally amazed at some parents attitude towards cm`s

Sept 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: oh no

dont worry ! if you are confident with children thats the main thing, dealing with parents becomes easier the more you do it . i am shy and when i started i was like a little mouse , but luckily ive had some great parents and ive only had a couple of tricky ones and i look back now and cant believe how much ive changed over the past 16 yrs . your confidence with parents will improve all the time,till you feel you can cope with almost anyone and anything so if you have decided you want to be a c.minder go ahead and im sure you will be a good one . my main worries now are keeping up with the paperwork ..

Non childminder member
    lazy bum!
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one difficult parent out of the 11 I work with but she is almost trained up to the way things are done lol.

give it a go, you are a Mother with experience dont doubt yourself.
    Busy losing the will to live mwuahahahaha!

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I felt like that too but now I'm doing it I'm not too bad. I do still worry about parents and what they think and am not very good with the money situation and tend to get walked on a fair bit as I try and be "friends" with the parents but now I'm leaning its not a friends relationship its a business one and they need to know that.
    Paula

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry, don't be put off and go for it!! We all learn from experience and remember big problems are quite rare. Most people are nice, honest and just like us- human!!

Dec '06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    V Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont let it put you off, there are loads of lovely parents out there who make it all worth while.
    Fiona xx

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks everyone i need to have more faith in myself eh.

hopefully once i get going the confidence will grow too. suppose id be nuts to quit before i give it a try.

I just hope potential parent will see past my shyness lol

as for paperwork.... i love paperwork

Lady Haha Guest

I was like that too, when I first started childminding. I almost felt cheeky charging people and hated asking for money. My confidence has grown so much in the last two years. When my first parent came to visit initially, I was sooooo nervous, but now I've done it so many times, I almost forget to let them get a word in!

I hate confrontation and I take the easy way out by sending letters to parents if I have a problem like late payment etc. I always start the letters by saying that 'I am legally obliged to put the following in writing' so then it doesn't look like I am a coward

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry, not all parents are bad. All of mine are great and one is a headteacher and is so laid back about her children. Just remember it's your business and home and if you don't get a good vibe about the family you don't have to take them on. Don't agree to anything straight away as then you'll feel bad if you get a better offer or decide against it.

Dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I am shy too and there are times when ive thought several times in my life " I cant do it" but i usually manage to surprise myself and then i get a fab sense of achievement however small. Im hoping it will be the same with childminding. Im nervous too as i have only ever "done" horses so it will be all new ( well not quite cos i have my own 2 kids)
    Stick in there and you will be fine. Life never goes perfect but if it gets half way there your doing fine.
    XX Jill XX

apr 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roseolivia View Post
    Don't worry, not all parents are bad. All of mine are great and one is a headteacher and is so laid back about her children. Just remember it's your business and home and if you don't get a good vibe about the family you don't have to take them on. Don't agree to anything straight away as then you'll feel bad if you get a better offer or decide against it.

Bloomin good advice from all, especially theone highlighted, which I know to my cost.
    Go with your intuition Id say, coz its normally right.

i`m totally amazed at some parents attitude towards cm`s
    Youve been on ***** then
    Mandy
    Anyone got any Chocolate Buttons?