Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default going to the doc's

do you take your minded children to appoitnments such as dentisits doctors etc which are for your own children?
    My son is being assesd for varioius things at the moment special needs wise and if i was to take time off for all these appointments then i would loose work but i am not sure if i am doing the right thing, when we go i will take things for the children to do ie colouring, small toys, books etc
    just wonded what you all did with appointments like these

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: going to the doc's

all my mindees come with us i remember going to the dentist when mine were small we took over the reception area the mindees loved it and so did the staff but the look on some peoples faces

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would. Depends on age of children.

OK with my parents

Depends if you would rather have the time for your son and to talk to docs without distraction. Some of mine can be flexible on days so I offer to swap rather than cancel.

Dentist, yes. For check ups. They only do certain times and myself and 2 kids are in and out in 10 mins. Takes longer to sign forms and pay!

One dad works opposite dentist so I try and get appt at end of day so I can hand child over from there.
    Last edited by PixiePetal; 15-03-2009 at 05:32 PM.
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It depends on the appointment.

Yes I take to dentist, my children's school stuff, docs etc.

Not for anything personal for me though.

Just make sure you have done an outings risk assessment for each appointment and have noted in children's books where they are going to parents are fully aware.

Ofsted can get a bit sniffy if they think the child's needs are not being met as well so go on in your risk assessments about how you keep children busy with small snacks, drawing books, reading etc... and how you take water with you.

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would take mine. I asked Mum of my 3 yr old mindee as when he started my son had had an operation the week before and had to have quite a few follow up appts. In the end, hubby was able to take him as he had been made redundant. But mindees mum had said she was fine for me to take him anywhere and she trusted my judgement. He has been to the dentist with us and did really well.

In half term week, I took my son to the barbers - he nearly had a fit when he saw me walk in with 5 kids!!! I assured him that they werent all requiring cuts!!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If it was something that needed my attention then I would organise alternative cover with another childminder that the child knows well and advise parents as to why. They have the option them to have the day off.

Of course I would lose money but my children come first.
    Debbie

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel better now knowing i am not the only one to take them with me, the baby should be asleep by then anyway and the 3yrold is very quiet and very well behaved everywhere else so shouldn't be too much of a problem.
    And yes DebbieS26 my children come first aswell but if i don't work i won't be able to treat them to nice things so a comprimise has to be met. I get the feeling this will be somthing that requires several appointments with assesments and follow ups and all and I really don't want to let parents down but ultimatly my son will come first and if the parents arent happy with me taking them then they will have to find alternative care. but i am sure it will be ok.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i try and schedule appointments when i'm not working, but if needs be ... we all go! (along with suitable distractions/snacks/drinks etc)

x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would take them as long as they will not get upset and as long as you can concentrate on your child and their needs. Unfortunately having children is not always convinient.

About 7 years ago I had to completly revamp my childminding business and reduce my income, buy a second car at a time we would rather have not. I did it because my daughter was suffering very badly from Glue Ear. The primary school she was at did nothing to help her, she was being bullied as a result of it and after many meetings with the school and letters we reluctantly decided to move her school. In making this choice we had to move her brother as well. The school we choose was 41/2 miles away so I had to drive instead of walking as we had always done. Hence the second car.

It was a very difficult time but I don't reget it. Both the children thrived at the new school, they helped my daughter. They are both now at an excellent High School and my daughter has just choosen her A'Level courses. 4- Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths (definately not my daughter I failed my Maths O'Level!!!)

I am just glad that because I was a Childminder I was able to adapt my work, hard as it was for a while, to be able to attend to my childrens needs. If I had been working for an emlpoyer it might have been very hard. Taking a drop in income is always a hard call. A lost job would be even worse.

Is there a local childminder that could help you sometimes and maybe have the older child? Even if it was for a couple of hours so it covered your appointment. Doing this (with the childs parents permission) you would loose the minimum but not have her care on your mind when you need to be looking out for your son?

Post Thanks / Like

Of course I would lose money but my children come first.

My son also has special needs. Its not about losing money, its the fact that if I took time off for every single appointment he needed to attend, I may as well give up the minding all together.

In answer to the original question - I do try to make appointments outside of working hours but that ist always possible. Depending on the time, duration and nature of the appointment, I would either take kids with me, book time off or get another minder to cover for me. Hope that helps!!!

Sx

Aug 06
    Post Thanks / Like

dd has special needs and has a lot of appointments, all my parents knew at the start that at times their children would have to come with me, they much prefer it to having to take time off!
    I risk assess it as Sarah says and I take loads of books and colouring etc and most hospitals etc have a few toys out. We usually manage to end up in the cafe for a bun afterwards too!
    ***** proofed the house but they're still getting in!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Irrelevant
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mushpea View Post
    do you take your minded children to appoitnments such as dentisits doctors etc which are for your own children?
    My son is being assesd for varioius things at the moment special needs wise and if i was to take time off for all these appointments then i would loose work but i am not sure if i am doing the right thing, when we go i will take things for the children to do ie colouring, small toys, books etc
    just wonded what you all did with appointments like these
    My childs autistic when he was diagnosed last year, i took 2 children with me to the doctors, what a mistake that was! Doctor was not happy, they were only doing normal things like playing with the cars( she did get them out for them) . The next visit i told mum i couldnt have them on that day.
    Other appointments like dentists etc... then i would ask the parents first, because it can benefit the child educationally ( people who help us) real life stuff ( KUW) . If they didnt want me to take them then i wouldnt charge.
    Tammy

Non childminder member
    lazy bum!
    Post Thanks / Like

I informed my parents as to where and why I was going to attend somewhere.

when I attened OT with my Son I only had one mindee who was allowed to join in with activities.

Physio was harder due to the equipment used but again i took mindee with me he was happy to watch and talk about what was going on encouraging my Son with differnt activities, then we reproduced them at home if possible ... I bought a peanut yoga ball kiddies ahd great fun doing rolypoly's over it just like my Son.

Speech therapy was hard, I tried to arrange this when I didnt have any mindess as its hard to expect a child to be silent for 30 minutes.

Now my Son as speech therapy in school (which i hate to be honest as I want to be there to do it with him), he is signed off physio and only attends OT once every 6 months with mindee tagging along if i have him.

I would ask the places you have appointments with if it is ok for you to take minded children first then inform parents, most will say its fine as you would naturally take your own children to appointments but always best to check.

I explained to parents that their child would be joining in, they were aware that speech was different and only took him to 2 speech sessions where he was included in the games.

I dont take mindess to the docs etc for my own appointments.

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had to take my mindee the other week to the docs as I needed an emergency appointment for an ear infection for my DD. They also have hospital apps. To provide a home from home service these things need to be done, I suppose thats why some parents prefer nurseries.
    Paula