OFSTED gradings and Systems
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Pipsqueak Guest

Default OFSTED gradings and Systems

Ok a two for one question! A discussion!

Do you think the current grading system that OFSTED use (unsatisfactory, satisfactory, Good and Outstanding) is adequate and/or accurately reflects settings?
    Do you think that it could be changed and how.

Then - do you think that we are going to ended up with a "tiered" system of minders - Superminder (just picture it for a second lol), barely there minders etc under the new EYFS

Registered Childminder since
    Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: OFSTED gradings and Systems

I get the impression that ofsted are inconsitant when giving out ratings.
    One might give someone a good and another a satisfactory which i find unfair.

The inspector who came to see me on friday (for my pre-reg)said that hse would give me a good or even an outstanding from what I had already told her

I was like (typical, is this how ofsted behave? The woman has been here for 3 hours and knows this already?)

I was complimented but she hadn't really looked a tme with any mindees only my own 2 kiddies and I spent most of the time with her sitting up the table.

She saw my policies, etc, so i guess ofsted go by that rather than how you look after kids?????

Also, i feel that new childminders can get an outstanding even after just starting up but some others might only get a good, who have been doing it a long time and have lots more to offer to begin with.

I also seem to have found that c/m with an extra bulit room for c.minding are more likely to get an outstanding, which i feel is unfair.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I put the consultation link for this question on here the other day... it says they are currently intending to keep the 4 gradings...

Sorry Vik... did you fancy being 'lalalalalalalala.............Superminder!!'

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sarahnev707 View Post
    I put the consultation link for this question on here the other day... it says they are currently intending to keep the 4 gradings...

Sorry Vik... did you fancy being 'lalalalalalalala.............Superminder!!'

me..... today (ladies and gentlemen - drum roll please) - TODAY for one day only please give a big hand tooooo.....

In a Naughty Mood Minder

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

hehehehe! Are you making mischief today?

Dec 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you would get a "Superminder" cape to go with the grading!

Pipsqueak Guest

Whooo???? Moi.... ME???? Yup

Apr 98
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't like the whole way that it is done full stop.

One of the things I really hate the most is the word 'Satisfactory'

I think it is a horrible word and not one that reflects the grading at all.

Lets be honest......to maintain the 14 standards etc etc is a lot of hard work and to be rewarded with the word Satisfactory.....it makes it sound like you are not doing a lot at all.

Sorry I am not really explaining myself very well....the words are not flowing this morning - lol!!!

I just think that a majority of childminders do not want to achieve Satisfactory because it is such a horrible word when in fact I think they should be proud to get to this level as it means that they are doing the job properly and are putting in a lot of effort.

My other pet hate is the amount of pressure these gradings has put on us all. The level of competition out there is horrendous. It is bad enough having Ofsted come to visit anyway without the added pressure of what grading you will come out with.

I am not sure that I know what the right answer is and what would be best. I am sure that whatever system is in place it will not make us all happy but I would be interested in what everyone else thought.
    Dee
    Independent Cambridge Diet Counsellor

Life may not be the party we hoped for.......but while we're here we should dance!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everything that Dee said

Plus it saves me typing it all up haha thanks for beating me to this Dee ha

Angel xx

Jan 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont care what grading i got, only i know what goes on behind closed doors and i know im doing the best possible job i can, my mindees are all happy and well cared for and their parents are all happy with the service i provide.

Ofsted can only make their judgement of me and my service in three hours, and from what i experianced on my inspection, it was all about the paper work i held, and not the interaction with the children that mattered to them.

Im a good cm in my eyes and thats all that mattters, and if i thought i wasnt giving my best,i wouldnt be minding at all!
    Donna

Post Thanks / Like

Yep I agree

Angel xx

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everything Dee said esp about the word "satisfactory", its a nasty word and also the press jump on it all the time and say things like...

40% of childminders are only satisfactory. (thats a made up example)

I do also think though the grading is dreadful in a whole.

For example to get outstanding, you have to get 5 areas outstanding.

If you get 4 areas outstanding and 1 good you would get a good.

If you got 2 satisfactory and 3 good you would also get a good/

None of it makes any sense at all, but i am also unsure what the answer is???
    Lou xx

October
    Latest Inspection Grade
    none yet!
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope hope HOPE I dont get a satisfactory.... I know it is ok to, because its not bad, but I would love to get at least a GOOD!!! I agree with you ladies on here that the word satisfactory is a little demeaning and for all the hard work you do you should at least get a pat on the back!!

I think they should change the gradings to...

SOOOPERDOOOPER, NO ROOM TO IMPROVE!

HARD WORKER, NEARLY THERE!

GREAT JOB, CLIMBING THE LADDER!

FAB TRY, WAYS TO IMPROVE

I am sure these are more appropriate!
    Love GG x x

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

i know a school who got outstanding who shouldnt of also i think it should go good a good b good c good d not just good or outstanding if you get what i mean
    One life live it

Sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree !

Satisfactory sounds awful!
    Especially now that they have started putting grades on CIS lists that goes out to parents.
    I can see their point, they wld want the satisfactory childminders to improve but i have also heard that there is a very small difference between good and satisfactory!

Apr 98
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

That is another reason i don't like the word satisfactory.

Yes parents do get to see it and quite frankly they don't appreciate exactly what you have to do in order to achieve that. they just think that you are plodding along.

They either need to change the wording or educate the parents that satisfactory is a great achievement.

Perhaps they ought to change the gradings to something like:

Good
    Very Good
    Outstanding

As I said it is the word that I dislike.
    Dee
    Independent Cambridge Diet Counsellor

Life may not be the party we hoped for.......but while we're here we should dance!

registe
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with most of you "satisfactory" is such an inadequate word. I have read lots of other minder reports on the ofsted website and I think there is a huuuuge, variaton in the way inspectors inspect. Some I read and thought yep I do that and that and that too, and the inspector had put alot of emphasis on these points as a good thing. My inpsector was a bit of an "old bag" was at the end of the day so maybe she was tired, but I felt she made alll the "bad " bits sound tentimes worse and the good bits sounded really mediocre. Not loking forward to this year as due and inspection either july or october depending on if they come when they should have or when they did finally come out. Does that make sense????