Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Learning Journals - Disk/Memory Stick

Hi ya!

I've been chatting with a friend who says that her childs nursery are now keeping pics and info on rewritable disks or memory sticks to give to the parents of each child at the end of each year rather than doing a scrap book type thing as learning journals.....do you think this is a good idea??

xx

Dec 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Learning Journals - Disk/Memory Stick

I was told at EYFS meetings it should be accessable to the children to look at and parents at any time not just when they leave

Angela
    Angela x
    Owner of a static holiday caravan in Paignton

Pipsqueak Guest

Funny you should say that because a friend and me where discussing that today, I am undecided (my sons nursery do a digital LJ and give it to you on disk) as yet but to be honest I am on the pc most of the time so it might make sense!

Non childminder member
    lazy bum!
    Post Thanks / Like

I went to a childminding meeting last night and one of the childminders uses a usb stick for photos and small video clips that is then shared with the parents once a month so they can download to their own pcs then its returned and reused.

The children still have the own scrapbooks and learning journeys too.

My only concern is not getting the ubs sticks back as itsa hard enough to get them to return signed letters and its taken 3 wks so far to attempt to collect sponsor money in so its not something I can warrent thinking about right now.

Mar 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: Learning Journals - Disk/Memory Stick

I have just done a course on using ICT for record keeping and was told that if we keep pictures and information of children on a PC we may have to register with Information Commissions Office Tel 01625 545740. www.ico.gov.uk. They said there might be a charge for this but nobody knew how much this would be. Apparently just not knowing is not good enough.

I don't keep information on my computer so I haven't checked it out.

Helen

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HelenJC View Post
    I have just done a course on using ICT for record keeping and was told that if we keep pictures and information of children on a PC we may have to register with Information Commissions Office Tel 01625 545740. www.ico.gov.uk. They said there might be a charge for this but nobody knew how much this would be. Apparently just not knowing is not good enough.

I don't keep information on my computer so I haven't checked it out.

Helen

The charge is £35 a year.

I think it's quite sad to put things on memory sticks as parents can't leaf through a lovely book of photos then...

But I suppose it's the technology of the moment isn't it?

sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If we kept evidence such as this though wouldnt we need to register with the data protection act?????????????

Non childminder member
    lazy bum!
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont fancy using the memroy stick idea as I prefer to see pics and childrens work it jsut feels more personal and less work than learning how to use a memory stick too

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have given my parents the photo's on a disc each christmas in their card. I also email good ones to them throughout the year.

As to the EYFS - parents have access to the childs folder showing their obs and photo's relating to the obs at anytime.

It certainly saves a lot of money and a .50p disc takes 5 mins to copy to. The great thing about this is that it can be played through the tv too.
    Debbie

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

What sort of books do you use for Scrapbooks?

I think it would be nice to flick through a scrapbook of things the children have done but I also see putting things on disk as a good idea. If you happen to have a few children and have taken a fair few pics it would begin to cost a fair bit in developing them...whereas having extras, that haven't gone in the scrapbook, on a disk for parents to print if they wish could be useful to them.

xx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If you keep records on the computer you do have to register with the Informations Commissions Office.

I do from time to time give parents a disc with all the photos on and it is very powerful the parents love it. They also love to see the actual work that their children do. I agree with Sarah it seems a bit sad to do their scrapbooks on a memory stick.

I use a traditional scrap book for my records, if we do a lumpy picture or something three d they take it home after I have taken a picture to put in the scrapbook.

Post Thanks / Like

Have to admit my lo's love looking through their books to see their photos, drawings paintings etc. not sure it would work the same on a memory stick!

I use ring binders with plastic sleeves in for the childrens books, then things can be added to it at different times (when I can afford more ink for photos etc )

My books go home every few weeks for parents, grandparents etc. to look through and add comments!