Hand dryer in the bathroom - one step too far?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    amirose Guest

Default Hand dryer in the bathroom - one step too far?

Yes this seems totally mad and it started as a joke but actually ...

Basically my OH is a fully qualified commercial electrician and his work has been replacing the hand dryers so the old ones are up for grabs (though most normal people wouldn't want one!!!) anyway I was commenting about this forum and how people have been talking about this individual hand towel thing and Steve said (joking) we could put a hand dryer in the bathroom at first I laughed but in reality is this such a bad idea?

Steve said he can power it of something else and take a cable down from the loft (I dunno but I do know he knows what his doing) so question guys ...

WILL THIS IMPRESS OFSTED???

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hand dryer in the bathroom - one step too far?

I wish I had a hand dryer (CAN'T AFFORD ONE)...I know someone on the forum already does, but can't remember who! ...I would jump at the opportunity!
    Blaze x

June 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    6 and 5's
    Post Thanks / Like

Grab the offer, I know the Care Commssion (Scotland) would be impressed. I could not afford this option so went for paper towels and a dispenser.

Claire

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

id go fr it ive got the paper towels and then have to dispose of them id much rather have a hand dryer ofsted will be really impressed as you dont have dirty towels hanging round either

Latest Inspection Grade
    6 Excellent
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it not the case that hot air dryers actually increase germs though? I thought that was why a lot of councils replaced with paper towels in first place?

amirose Guest

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Is it not the case that hot air dryers actually increase germs though? I thought that was why a lot of councils replaced with paper towels in first place?
    Yes I have heard that, technically they are supposed to blow any germs left on your hands into the atmosphere however if you teach kids to wash thier hand properly (pet ) then it should be fine, anyways I am only going to have 4-5 kids here not an army

amirose Guest

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Oh and this is at the airport and they are actually just replacing them with newer hand dryers, I hadn't actualy heard that the council were replacing them though, just getting my info from Steve - don't know where he heard it

Jan 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

For older children this would be great but don't now how it would work with younger ones - depends on your mindees really- non of my under 3's would stand there long enough to dry their hands and two of them would be petrified of the noise (they hate the Hoover too). My own children didn't really use hand driers in public places properly until they were about 4. So in my setting it wouldn't work, but I can see it being a real bonus if you had predominantly older children.

Mar 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a great idea and I would go for it if I was you, I know my mindees would be permanently in the bathroom drying their hands if I had one.

Post Thanks / Like

I think its a great idea

But....... personally I would not want one in my house

Angel xx

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would go for seeing as though you haven't got to buy one and hubby can do all the work installing it.
    I have a paper towel dispenser in my cloakroom, ofsted didn't even bat an eye lid at it though, which i was annoyed about.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mollymop View Post
    I would go for seeing as though you haven't got to buy one and hubby can do all the work installing it.
    I have a paper towel dispenser in my cloakroom, ofsted didn't even bat an eye lid at it though, which i was annoyed about.
    Typical haha

Angel xx

Jun 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 6
    Post Thanks / Like

Two of mine hate the noise of hand dryers too, but I think it's a great idea
    Ali xx

Post Thanks / Like

Its a good idea in principle, but i agree it might be difficult for younger ones to use?

My DD is nearly 6 and i wouldnt say she uses the ones in public loos properly!!! (mind you she is a lazy madam!!)

And i have to say i would never have one in my toilet...sorry no offence but i wouldnt have that, and i wouldnt have a paper towel dispenser, this is MY home and i dont want it to resemble a public convenience!!!
    Lou xx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    this is MY home and i dont want it to resemble a public convenience!!!

Those are also my thoughts

Angel xx

may 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Me too! My Ofsted inspector asked me why I didn't have a paper towel dispenser and I said that it is my home and that the towel is changed in the toilet 3 times daily, she found this perfectly acceptable.
    Louise
    xx

amirose Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Its a good idea in principle, but i agree it might be difficult for younger ones to use?

My DD is nearly 6 and i wouldnt say she uses the ones in public loos properly!!! (mind you she is a lazy madam!!)

And i have to say i would never have one in my toilet...sorry no offence but i wouldnt have that, and i wouldnt have a paper towel dispenser, this is MY home and i dont want it to resemble a public convenience!!!
    Ha ha no offence taken I actually don't care about having one in the bathroom I might be sad but I think its kind of cool! - I mean its one heck of a talking point when you have guests!!!

I think I am going for it - worst case scenario I still put out towels for the really little ones and I have an awesome hand dryer which cost me nothing to impress ofsted

sept 94
    Post Thanks / Like

no good in my house one of the little ones i have freaks out at the site of one never mine the noise.

have to take wet wipes and hand santizer out with us to clean his hands

cathy

Non childminder member
    lazy bum!
    Post Thanks / Like

great idea ... though personally I wouldnt have one, my son has extremly sesitive hearing and freaks out when a hand drier is in use.

Latest Inspection Grade
    *OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

When we extended the house and cloakroom we added a hand dryer and most of the children love it but not the really little ones ~ they hated the noise but after a while they are now used to it but I still have paper towels on stand by too.
    ƸӜƷ* Hello Kitty *ƸӜƷ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast