Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Termination letter - advice please

I'm going to be ending one of my contracts. First time I've done it, and I'm such a wimp about it... I want to do it asap, but I'm going to hold of until the last day child is with me before half term, as I don't have them during hols, so can have a week without seeing them. - Or would you just go & do it now...?

This is what I've written:

Due to a change in personal circumstances, it is with regret that I am writing this letter to inform you that I wish to terminate our childminding contract.

As per the contract, I am giving you 4 weeks notice, and therefore the contract will end on 12th March 2008.

I have enjoyed looking after your children, and wish both A & B lots of happiness.

Does that sound ok? How would you do it? Just give the letter & say nothing, or say here is a letter ending our contract. Then I'm just worried she'll ask why etc, and I'm just fobbing off in the letter so wouldn't know what to say.

Arrrggghhh - I'm such a coward!

Thanks for reading!!

Kelly x

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Termination letter - advice please

Hi Kelly

That sounds fine

Poor you

I had to do this last year and was so nervous about it so I know how you are feeling

I would give her the letter and just prob just say what it is for with out going into detail

When I did it the parent burst out crying and hassled me for weeks after

Good luck hope it goes ok let us know

Angel xx

May 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 5
    Post Thanks / Like

Your letter sounds absolutely fine Kelly. I haven't had to terminate a contract (yet) but I know it must be a difficult situation.
    I would say what was in the letter when you give it to the parent but you don't have to go into great detail.
    Good luck

Emler x

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Your letter sounds great to me Kelly.

I think the parent will ask you why though, as I know I would want to know if it were me.
    Just say it is change in circumstances, etc, like you have written in your letter.
    So good luck, I hope it goes ok. XX

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good luck Kelly - it's a really hard thing to do...

Dec 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

sounds like exactly what i would write, i think its fine.

good luck, i know its not easy.

x
    Big banana hugs from me!

xxx

Aug 03
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds ok to me, I had to do this when I first started childminding so I know how hard it can be.

Good luck

Lorraine x

Apr 98
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck kelly....hope it goes well
    Dee
    Independent Cambridge Diet Counsellor

Life may not be the party we hoped for.......but while we're here we should dance!

July 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Kelly, your letter sounds absolutely fine, sorry if youve explained this, Im just curious why youre ending the contract, its just with you putting

"I'm going to hold of until the last day child is with me before half term, as I don't have them during hols, so can have a week without seeing them."

What problems are you having with the child? I have a few problems with a child, although shes been lovely today.....but I think Im going to see how things go xx

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Kelly

Your letter sounded fine

Hope everything was OK when you gave it to the parents

Miffy xx

Sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck, it's really hard.

Get tissues at ready when you give it to the parents.

Jana x

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

maybe ive read this wrong but you cant include holidays in the 4 week notice period, i have just terminated a contract and mine said vertually the same i was a nervous wreck she was fine, but the sad this is she doesnt speak to me now.
    One life live it

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louisec View Post
    Hi Kelly, your letter sounds absolutely fine, sorry if youve explained this, Im just curious why youre ending the contract, its just with you putting

"I'm going to hold of until the last day child is with me before half term, as I don't have them during hols, so can have a week without seeing them."

What problems are you having with the child? I have a few problems with a child, although shes been lovely today.....but I think Im going to see how things go xx
    It's just the parent expects a hell of a lot! It just stresses me out more than anything else. I have A for 2 hours after school, twice a week. A's not allowed to watch tv, & the nights A comes I have: A who's nearly 7, my 2 (aged 6&2), plus 5yr old, 6 yr old & 9yr old. (plus i have 2 more starting after half term...) They want to chill in front of tv. I only have a lounge & not very large kitchen, so can get difficult. Then parent wanted me to give A tea. She collects A at 5pm, and in my policies I put tea is at 5, so it was so hard. Getting tea done at 4.30... Plus she wanted me to hold a place open for a year for B... for 2 hrs twice a week. I'm going to be over my number on a Tues after school soon, as I've taken on 2 full timers. At the end of the day too, it's money. A who earns me £50 a month, goes over brother & sister earning me £800+ a month...

Then she wants her other child, B, to start with me in Sept, but as she thinks B might be tired when first starting school, she wants me to have both A & B, for just 1hr twice a week for the first term. So until xmas, losing 2 spaces for such a petty amount of money, and all the other kids will have to accomodate them!

But saying that the mum is really nice. Chatty, and friendly, just expects me to revolve around her child, and everyone else to fit in, so that's why it'll be difficult giving her notice. Plus I know even if I do it before half term, she'll still call me.

I didn't know hols didn't count. I had a parent give me notice during summer hols last year... when they weren't with me.

Anyway - long ramble over. Thanks for all your replies. Glad it's ok.

Kelly x

jan 200
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi kelly,

it sounds fine to me ive never done it before. Hope it goes well

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by mum2two View Post
    I'm going to be ending one of my contracts. First time I've done it, and I'm such a wimp about it... I want to do it asap, but I'm going to hold of until the last day child is with me before half term, as I don't have them during hols, so can have a week without seeing them. - Or would you just go & do it now...?

This is what I've written:

Due to a change in personal circumstances, it is with regret that I am writing this letter to inform you that I wish to terminate our childminding contract.

As per the contract, I am giving you 4 weeks notice, and therefore the contract will end on 12th March 2008.

I have enjoyed looking after your children, and wish both A & B lots of happiness.

Does that sound ok? How would you do it? Just give the letter & say nothing, or say here is a letter ending our contract. Then I'm just worried she'll ask why etc, and I'm just fobbing off in the letter so wouldn't know what to say.

Arrrggghhh - I'm such a coward!

Thanks for reading!!

Kelly x

July 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Kelly, I dont blame you at all for cancelling the contract, this parent sounds like she want you to jump through hoops for her Dont forget its your business, you sound very very busy without this money, go for it, and let us know what happens xx

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck Kelly hope it goes ok

Angel xx

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck Kelly, hope it goes OK. It is so difficult isnt it when parents want their child to do one thing, but their child wants to do something completely different.

Keep us informed of your situation.

Will be thinking of you.

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

The letter sounds good to me, simple and to the point

I gave notice in July for Sept going (to soft and agev too much notice, I was really ready when they went )

You have to work with what suits you, I have no school run children now as I felt I couldn't meet the demands of my own children (5,3) baby now 9 months and part timer 2y9 now! But when someone needed temp care for 8am-9am I said yes , roll on 7th March, it's fine but forgot why I stopped IYSWIM

Hope it all goes okay, let us know and remember stand your ground