Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Afterschoolers

Registered Childminder since
    Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Afterschoolers

I have a few after schoolers, ages 5-9. What do you do with yours.

Mine just want to watch tv, or play the ds. Occasionally they might want to build things, but should I be encouraging them to do other things. They go between 5-5.30pm, and have tea in between too.

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Afterschoolers

personally I think when they have been at school all day they'll just want to chill Which is probably what they would do at home anyway, unless the parents want to them to complete any homework that has been set before watching tv or whatever! I ask my after schooler what she wants to do, she loves her drawing so quite often does that in between a bit of telly and dinner.

Last week which was fun but stimulating we played an observation game on the computer - matching up the pairs, she really enjoyed that and it was something we could all do together, the younger ones watched trying to help!

Sometimes i print mazes off the internet for them to complete or other printables, sometimes we go to the library after school and read the chosen book after dinner, but on a whole i ask what they want to do and most of the time its telly or a dvd i only start doing something different when i can see my lot getting bored and mischeiveous!

I guess you could have a chat with the parent and ask whether they are okay to sit and chill or if they wanted you to help with homework perhaps? (personally i think homework, should be done at home!)
    x-x peggy x-x

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Peggy

My older children just chill out when they get in from school

They have the pc to use if they want - some tv if they want - or like now they are sitting playing a building game together

They have a choice of books - games - colouring to keep them happy

I would not worry to much I do not plan any activities and parents do not expect it

Angel xx

August 2007
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine are really only at my house for about half hour to an hour so they either watch TV or they help themselves to drawing, games etc. My son is 8 and all he wants to do after school is chill so they all do the same!

Sam x

sept 94
    Post Thanks / Like

my older ones are the same
    At the moment they are playing a game but most of the time they sit huddled in the back room and chat away together.
    they have the t.v. computer etc. but seems quite happy chatting.

cathy and rachel

Pipsqueak Guest

Mine just do their homework and then go and chill - playstation, pc, time for dinner and then they go.

They have been at school all day - personally I think they need time to wind down

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree... my lot just want to read books, watch a bit of tv, play with the little ones and go on the computers... sometimes, they play with hama beads or do some building and in teh summer there's usually a football match in the garden and some role play going on... I leave bits and bobs out from younger ones if they've been doing arts and crafts and they enjoy that sometimes, but other times it gets ignored

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Like most of the other replies I let mine watch a bit of tv. They have access to books, games and drawing. Sometimes I organise a craft activity but there's never any pressure for them to join in if they don't want to.
    Roll on the sunny days when we spend all our time in the garden, my after schoolers then just want to play on the trampoline.

Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My two are the same just chill out for a bit, do a bit of reading / homework before heading home. Summer its outdoor play

July 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine normally chill out but one is only here for 30 mins so by the time he's had his snack his moms here.

Other mindee does do his homework here but only because he won't do it at home but always does it for me.

My dd is schoolwork mad so is constantly doing some kind of work even if she's watching tele

TBH I let the children decide what they want to do after school.

Carol xx

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Think mine need re training, they want constant entertaining!!

amanda xx