Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Need advice with numbers

Hi,

I have been approached by a Mum who has a son who will be starting school in Sept08. It will be dropping off and picking up from School 4 days a week.
    if I take him on I will have a 3yr old and possibly another little one by this time, three 5yr olds, a 6yr old (my daughter) and two 8yr olds(1 being my son,who will probably be walking on his own by then)

Do you think this is too many children to walk home from School with? It is a 10 minute walk (Not a busy rd)
    Im fine once I get home with them all but |I am worried it might be too many to control on the way home from school.

How many children do other people walk with?

Becky x

April06
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need advice with numbers

not sure about this one, I have walked a seven year old, a three and five year old and a nearly three year old, on a busy road, with the younger ones holding onto the buggy that I take in case the younger one wants a ride, and the older ones walking slightly in front so that I can see them all,

as long as you feel that you can keep them all safe, and you are registered to have that amount of children and the parents are happy with the arrangements, you should be alright, I think,
    see what ever one else thinks about this one, as I'm not sure how you stand with your numbers.
    Mandy

Post Thanks / Like

I think if you are registered to have that many children then it must depend on yourself and the children you already mind

Only you know if you could cope with them all

1O min is not a lot but can seem forever if they are all playing up

I think only you can answer this one

Sorry I can not help much

Angel xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Eek that's an awful lot of children to walk with... not sure I'd do it personally. It only takes one to cause a fuss and you've got a potential control problem on your hands

On the other hand, it would seem daft to turn away work now for next year, as you never know what's going to happen between now and then. Any number of changes could occur and parents do have a habit of coming and going...

Not sure I'm helping so I'll stop now!

Aug 03
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Not sure I would do it my childminding friend walks from school with 6 and she finds it really hard at times especially when it is raining and they will not move themselves, but alot could happen between now and next year so if you can do it then go ahead.

Sorry not much help really.

Lorraine xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

on my busiest school run I have 3 (5to 8's) and 2 over 8's plus the double buggy with baby C and Amy in it and thats quite enough for me to cope with.
    Love Mrs Edward Cullen x

Dec '06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    V Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Can be quiet stressful if you have too many. on my busiest day I have 2 little ones in the double buggy and two 4year olds holding on to the sides and 2 5year olds walking in front holding hands.

It can be a challenge some times but then I have a 30 min walk from the school and its all uphill.

I would accept it as alot can change from now until then and also have a months trial and see how you go with it.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your replies......Im still unsure of what to do, but I have thought about it and worked out that I will only have this large amount 2 days a week so it won't be that bad.
    I'm within my numbers as I will have 5 under 8's as my own daughter doesn't count but just undecided about the walk.

Thanks for trying to help...Im going to a local childminding group tomorrow so I will ask around there.
    Susan, it will be the same numbers as you but 1 over 8 (My son) likes to walk ahead (Trying to walk home on his own...but not yet allowed...lol)

Becky xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The kids I have avery well behaved, I know I am soooo lucky, and walk along side me or hold the pushchair but depending on the weather it can be tough going, the older ones want to walk faster , the younger ones walk really slow, then i have to have momentum to push the double etc sometimes its hard work even whent they are darlings x
    Love Mrs Edward Cullen x

Jan 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Susan View Post
    The kids I have avery well behaved, I know I am soooo lucky, and walk along side me or hold the pushchair but depending on the weather it can be tough going, the older ones want to walk faster , the younger ones walk really slow, then i have to have momentum to push the double etc sometimes its hard work even whent they are darlings x
    I walk home from school twice a week with 6 children ranging from 2 1/2 to 8 yrs and i have found as long as you have firm bounderies and the children know what is expected of them from the beginning they behave well. we talk about road safty on our journey and we are all on first name terms with our lollypop lady, most days this is a nice time being together.

April 2
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

ON a wednesday i walk home with a buggy , 3 six year olds , 2 8 yr olds and 2 9 yr olds . Its quite a busy road but we all look out for each other . The other week the six yr olds were in a daft mood and i did have to remind them about road safety but generally its fine . Will u be having the three year old and little one in a buggy ? might make life easier . Think this one is your call , what u feel happy with .