Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 3 children under 5 or 6?

Well, sorry to go on about this, as I know there have been many threads on this subject but -

I got a letter today from Ofsted to tell me what register I would be on - I am going to be on both, like I think all childminders are? I hope that is right.

Well in the letter it says -

It is important to note that from 1 september 2008, if one of your conditions refers to children aged five, it will be treated as a condition relating to children in the early years age group, which includes children from birth to the 31st August following the child's fifth bithday. You can only provide care for a maximum of 3 children in the early years age group.
    So is that stating that we can only look after 3 children under 6 and not under 5, as it is now??

I am confused. Help!!
    Last edited by Mollymop; 16-08-2008 at 10:11 AM.

June 98
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 3 children under 5 or 6?

I got this same letter yesterday.

I took it to mean that since the early years age group is birth to the Sept 1st after they are five (eg if they are five in jan - aug 30th/31st 2008, they count as early years until Sept 1st 08, if they are five in the period sept 1st 08 to aug 09), they count as early years til set 1st 09 and so on.

I may not have got this right though and will be interested in others answers too.

The on the other part of the register (later years) we can care for children until their 17th birthday should we so wish.

Again, this is my interpretation and I may not be right...

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, i understand that part, but the letter states we can only look after 3 children of this age group at anyone time, at the moment once the children start full time education they are classed as 5 and therefore can move up to our 5-7 grouping. But this letter is saying the children have to be 6 to move up? I am confused, haha

April06
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sandra79 View Post
    Yes, i understand that part, but the letter states we can only look after 3 children of this age group at anyone time, at the moment once the children start full time education they are classed as 5 and therefore can move up to our 5-7 grouping. But this letter is saying the children have to be 6 to move up? I am confused, haha

There is a lot of confusion about this, the way I have interrupted the information and have been informed by other colleagues is

that while the children are attending full time school and you have them before and after school they count in your over 5's,

but when they is an inset day or holiday and you are then caring for them all day and not just before school and after school, the children revert back to your under 5's until the september after they 5th birthday, which mean you could have 3 already under 5 and have to tell the parent of the child attending full time school that you can not care for them in the holidays as they would take you over your numbers

not sure if I have made it any clearer, but hope it helps
    Mandy

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

well that will screw some of us up then..... i have 2 starting that are not yet 4 but not far off it and at full time school.

April06
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emmadines View Post
    well that will screw some of us up then..... i have 2 starting that are not yet 4 but not far off it and at full time school.

I agree it will give us and the parents a mega headache come next year, especailly in the summer holidays

perhaps we can get some one like NCMA to lobby ofsted and the government on our behalf about this
    Mandy

Post Thanks / Like

OMG not again, I thought that was all cleared up and that they couldn't revert back to under 5's in the holidays!!!!!!! One of my parents is wanting me to have her son an extra day once he starts school (can't fit him in on under 5's but was hoping that once he started school it would be ok in the holidays!). Oh

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh what a marlarkie! Where is Sarah?! help!

I have been worried about this all day, as my Caitlin goes to school in september and therefore she will be classed as 5 - and counted in my 5-8 age group. I have even got a new registration certificate coming to state this!
    I can't have her reverted back in to my early years group in the school holidays, there is no way. I am almost full up, so if this is the case I will not be able to fill my vacanices.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry Sandra, I missed this one earlier, I have sent you a pm.

Here is a letter from Ofsted...

They are classed as over 5 when they go to school for 10 sessions a week...

This does not change when they are on holiday!

Why don't they make it easier?!?

Dear Childminder,

The National Standards stipulate that four-year-old children who attend 10 early education sessions a week may be classed as children over five for the purpose of adult: child ratio. The EYFS Statutory Framework document uses slightly different wording. It states that four and five year old children who only attend the Childminding setting before and/or after the school day may be counted as over five for the purposes of the adult: child ratio.

We have received confirmation from the Department for Children, Schools and Families that the change in wording does not result in a change in the legal requirement. Reference is made to children attending the Childminding setting before and after the school day only to specify which children may be counted as five. Therefore, the EYFS does not prevent four and five year olds who attend school full time from being counted as over fives during the school holidays. "

I hope this information helps. However should you require any further information do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,
    Oliver Walker
    Customer Service Advisor, Ofsted

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

phew thats a relief!! i thought this whole malarky was getting confusing again!! thanks sarah.

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks very much Sarah!! That is such a relief!

Ofsted state to you in their email that they use "different wording", so why don't they change the wording, you know, to stop us having panic attacks. haha

At least I will sleep well tonight knowing that I don't need to worry.

Oh, p.s - Sorry to you all for bringing this all up again, but i was desperate to know. Thanks x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I got this letter too and rang Ofsted just to check. They said as long as child was in full time education they still counted as an over 5 for ratio purposes including in school holidays

Post Thanks / Like

well me and my mum have been told we can class them as over 5's in the hoildays as soon as they turn 5 and this is what me and my mum have been told todo

and we can class them as over'5 when going to school all day in termtime

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well that's not how the letter words it.

As Sandra said in her first post, the letter we've got from ofsted about the new registers states:

It is important to note that from 1 September 2008, if one of your conditions refers to children aged five, it will be treated as a condition relating to children in the early years age group, which includes children from birth to the 31st August following the child's fifth birthday. You can only provide care for a maximum of 3 children in the early years age group. It then says new certificates will be being issued in stages to reflect this new information, and the letter had to be kept as proof of our new registration, with our existing certificate, until the new certificates arrive.

I've called the NCMA information line, and the local NCMA offices, as I thought it had been cleared up, and was told they were still waiting to hear. I said it's going to be a major strain, financially, for childminders to operate this way, as we can't charge whilst their at full time school, quite unlikely to get a term time only space, so lose out on a lot of money.

I've had an enquiry which I can't say yes to, unless the rising 5's reverts back to how it is now.

She said they were aware of the impact, and it's quite like ofsted to leave these things til the last minute.

So it's far from sorted in my opinon, and ofsted, as usual, still don't know what one persons saying from the others....!!!

We need a clear and definate answer, which everybody gets the same!!!!

Kelly x

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think Ofsted have their own calendar (they seem to live in their own little world) and dont realise that September is only a couple of weeks away and we need to know what the answer is once and for all?????????

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am going by what Sarah says, if it is wrong then it is wrong. I am going to carry on as normal until I find out any different - after all ofsted are telling us that the "wording is wrong" and NCMA have no idea, ofsted seem to know then they don't, giving different advice. If we all get an email like Sarah then it is proof that we have been told how to go about things, by ofsted, then they can't hang us for it

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that's most definitely the case!

We'll all hopefully hear its been changed on 31st August! After they've started sending out new certificates & then have to change them all back again!!

I just wish they would let us know the same thing... I'm going to call tomorrow & see what response I get from them. If it's something I like, I'll ask for it in writing, then that way I'm covered when I have an inspection, and they'd have to grant continuity of care variation!

Kelly x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have just sent the following email to Ofsted... I will share their hopefully enlightening reply with you

Dear Sir / Madam

Can you please urgently clarify the situation regarding ratios and the eyfs for 5 year old children.

I have a letter from your colleague Oliver Walker stating -

'the EYFS does not prevent four and five year olds who attend school full time from being counted as over fives during the school holidays.'

However, a fellow childminder has received a letter stating -

It is important to note that from 1 September 2008, if one of your conditions refers to children aged five, it will be treated as a condition relating to children in the early years age group, which includes children from birth to the 31st August following the child's fifth birthday. You can only provide care for a maximum of 3 children in the early years age group. It then says new certificates will be being issued in stages to reflect this new information, and the letter had to be kept as proof of our new registration, with our existing certificate, until the new certificates arrive.

The childminder has contacted NCMA who state they are aware of the situation and are aware of the impact it will have on childminders, but cannot give a definitive answer.

I thought my letter from Oliver Walker was the definitive answer but it appears to be a muddy issue again.

Please can you urgently clarify the situation as it will have a bearing on new contracts for September.

Thank you

Sarah Nev

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah its getting really confusing!!!!!!!!!

June 98
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to add...

I was on the Bromley site today looking at P&Ps and saw a news item about this (from back in June)

The URL is: http://www.bromleycma.org.uk/news/news
    The item is about half way down the page. The following quote comes from the bottom of the news item.

"DfCSF have responded as follows:

“... where four and five year olds attend school full-time and only attend the childminding setting before and after the school day, they can be counted as children over the age of five for the purposes of the ratio requirements.

These children may also be counted as children
    over the age of five during the school holidays.”"

I think that's pretty much the same thing as Sarah was told in her letter so hopefully it's right.

Hope that helps a little too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast