Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 1st May

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1st May

Happy 1st May! The months definitely seem to be whizzing by.

I hope everyone is well. I have been busy with family stuff plus continuing with the EYPDP course. I am enjoying the maths module a lot more that the speech one but I think that's because I have done a lot of training around speech and language but not maths. How are you getting on Maza.

I am also getting frustrated with our LA as we have had to submit some of our policies for them to check for the new funding and basically telling us how we need to have them worded to meet their T&Cs. As all my parents now claim some form of payment I feel that I have no choice but to conform to the LA's requirements.

On a brighter note the sun has finally started to make an appearance so we have enjoyed a couple of days out in the garden.

A Bank holiday weekend coming up is always an added bonus too!
    Pixie Dust

2. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

good afternoon.

We went to a FREE ( don't get many of those any more! ) music session for childminders and their children this morning and had a brilliant time. Everyone is exhausted and is fast asleep! ( i'd like to join them !!! )

I can't believe it is already May! Crazy! All good here, busy busy busy as usual, with lots of enquiries that I can't do, and some rather cross parents. I explain that as I work on my own, and am limited by law as to how many children I can have, there is nothing more I can do. ( however, waiting until the week before you are due to return to work is cutting it a bit fine! ) that said ... I have another mum who has been badgering me for a space since she was 12 weeks pregnant; for when babe is 10 mths old, and I've said all along that I won't have the space she wants. It truly is luck of the draw as to what spaces come up and when, and who happens to be able to use/take on that space.

I take my hats off to you all doing the training. I just don't have the extra brain space for it!

I'm waiting for our LA to start to tell us how to do things .... It will come in time i think.

We had a lovely day out in the sun yesterday ... drizzle again today

Looking forward to the bank holiday as we're going away with a couple of friends. BLISS.

have fun and stay safe everyone xxx

4. Likes Pixie dust liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

May already. I'm sure it was only January a few days ago

Yesterday we had a beautiful day and spent most of the time in the garden. I'm assuming that was Summer! Today started off promising but we soon had rain and it turned colder. One of the children arrived in Crocs and a sun hat yesterday, but was back in wellies and a coat today. It's all a bit depressing really!

6. Likes loocyloo, Pixie dust liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally some dry weather!

Pixie, I'm still enjoying the course, although it has been nice having the webinars every other week instead of every week for the maths. I have been paid already, which was a lovely surprise. The SENCO course is very time consuming, but I am enjoying it so far. Mouse, what's next for you? Have you done the NPQEYL? I've heard mixed things about it, but I think I'll be ready for a break after the SENCO one.

One of my mindees is due to start reception in September. Mum has deferred his place BUT she hasn't told me what her plans are. I don't know if she wants me to carry on having him for the two days a week that he does here. I think he'll be a bit old for my setting, as the only other one his age will be going to reception, so I'm half hoping she doesn't want him to stay, which sounds awful. I'm always too scared to ask parents what their plans are, I don't know why, but I find it really difficult. I bet you're all really good at it...if so, any tips to help me over the invisible barrier that I face every time?

8. Likes loocyloo, Pixie dust liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Maza, i HATE asking parents what their plans are!

What i do is, at the start of May, i send everyone home with a 'childcare requirements for next academic year' request form. I put their current hours on it with yes/no boxes, info about any funding they may be eligible for, and space to ask for any changes they may be interested in. I state that current hours are guaranteed, but i can't promise that any changes will be possible.
    I usually get them back within a couple of weeks and it
    mostly works out. I'm anticipating a difficult conversation with one mum, as i think she's thinking I'm going to do wrap around for a school nursery place, and I don't, unless i am fortunate to have a termtime/ school hours only child, and whilst i do on one of her days, the out of school hours are currently taken by an older child.

Good luck xxx

10. Likes Maza, Pixie dust liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a good idea, Loocyloo - sending out a letter to all at the beginning of May. Especially now they all get funding of some sort, it's helpful to know and get that sorted in advance - particularly with them all being on different rates. Think drafting a letter might be my bank holiday weekend task!

12. Likes loocyloo, Pixie dust liked this post