New funding
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: New funding

Post Thanks / Like

Default New funding

Are you all providing the new funding from April?

What are the advantages/disadvantages to doing stretched funding? Why do some offer this and some not?

Is it still ok to charge for food?

Can I charge for "consumables"?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve currently got 7 children on my books. 2 are already on funding and 4 will move onto the new working parent funding in April. The other one (plus another new starter) will go onto the under 2s funding in September. That’ll mean all my children will be on funding.

I offer stretched funding because a few of the children come for less than 15 hours a week. It’s a bit of a pain to work out, but it means I can claim the maximum hours for them each term. I’m always a bit wary of stretching it though in case they leave part way through the funding period and I’ve got to work out if I’ve claimed enough hours to cover what they’ve used.

The “rules” make it clear that we can charge separately for food, nappies, wipes etc, so I’ll be charging. I let parents provide lunch if they want to and I have about a 50/50 split on those who pay and those who provide a packed lunch and snacks. All the children leave by 4pm so none of them have tea here.

You’ll need to check what your LAs rules are on charging for consumables. My LA is quite relaxed about it and I have a “consumables” charge for 3 & 4 year old funding. Looking on social media though, some LAs seem really funny about providers having a consumables charge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I’ve currently got 7 children on my books. 2 are already on funding and 4 will move onto the new working parent funding in April. The other one (plus another new starter) will go onto the under 2s funding in September. That’ll mean all my children will be on funding.

I offer stretched funding because a few of the children come for less than 15 hours a week. It’s a bit of a pain to work out, but it means I can claim the maximum hours for them each term. I’m always a bit wary of stretching it though in case they leave part way through the funding period and I’ve got to work out if I’ve claimed enough hours to cover what they’ve used.

The “rules” make it clear that we can charge separately for food, nappies, wipes etc, so I’ll be charging. I let parents provide lunch if they want to and I have about a 50/50 split on those who pay and those who provide a packed lunch and snacks. All the children leave by 4pm so none of them have tea here.

You’ll need to check what your LAs rules are on charging for consumables. My LA is quite relaxed about it and I have a “consumables” charge for 3 & 4 year old funding. Looking on social media though, some LAs seem really funny about providers having a consumables charge.
    Thanks Mouse this is really helpful :-)

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't currently offer stretched, just because it seems a faff. I have heard stories of children leaving mid term and then it being an extra faff on top of the first faff! I've got two two year olds going onto the new funding in April. It's just over my hourly rate, so it seems so straightforward not having to come up with creative ways of 'topping up' - which is what I currently have to do for my 3 year olds.

At the moment, I am not planning on charging consumables for two year olds, but I have been very open with my parents that this will change when they go onto the three/four year old funding.

Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't offer stretched funding.

My LA get themselves really worked up about making sure we've given all the hours that have been claimed for, so if i take a day/week off term time, i still have holiday days to play with to offer the funded hours!

I'm not charging a fee for 2 yr olds, but I do for 3-4 yr olds, and all my parents know that we are under funded and that they either take the funded hours and pay a 'session' fee OR they pay full fees and there is no funding!

6. Likes Maza liked this post