Help with naps
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Help with naps

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with naps

I look after a little one (20 months old) who I can only get to sleep in a buggy - Just. I rock it until he goes to sleep. But keeping him asleep is really difficult - any tips?

Going for a car drive or a walk is not an option so I want to keep him in the buggy (wont sleep in a cot/on a mat etc) but any ideas how I can make him sleep better and for longer?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you worked out why they wake up quickly? Is it when you stop rocking, noise, not comfortable? If you can find a reason it might help you find a solution.

Have you seen Rockit? I’ve never used one myself, but I’ve seen one in use. You attach it to the pushchair and it rocks it for you.

Other than that I’ve used white noise, quiet music and, with one child, I used to park the buggy in front of the tumble drier! I tend not to do that now though with the cost of electricity.

Or have you got the option of sleeping them outside? One of my own children would sleep best outside, wrapped up warm in cold weather or under the shade in sunny weather.

3. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've used a combination of a Rockit (wonderful invention!), white noise, and a long as it isn't windy ... sleeping outside in buggy all snuggled up... I'm never sure if it's being outside, or snuggled up but they all sleep well outside.

When they wake up, do they scream for attention immediately, or can you leave them for a bit? I had one who used to wake after 20 minutes but if i left them, did a bit of rocking/ white noise etc (in the days before i had a rockit) they would often go off again, and be sooooo much happier when they woke!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Have you worked out why they wake up quickly? Is it when you stop rocking, noise, not comfortable? If you can find a reason it might help you find a solution.

Have you seen Rockit? I’ve never used one myself, but I’ve seen one in use. You attach it to the pushchair and it rocks it for you.

Other than that I’ve used white noise, quiet music and, with one child, I used to park the buggy in front of the tumble drier! I tend not to do that now though with the cost of electricity.

Or have you got the option of sleeping them outside? One of my own children would sleep best outside, wrapped up warm in cold weather or under the shade in sunny weather.
    Thank you Mouse. yes I've seen the Rockit and think I need one! That would keep the rocking going which I think helps them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    I've used a combination of a Rockit (wonderful invention!), white noise, and a long as it isn't windy ... sleeping outside in buggy all snuggled up... I'm never sure if it's being outside, or snuggled up but they all sleep well outside.

When they wake up, do they scream for attention immediately, or can you leave them for a bit? I had one who used to wake after 20 minutes but if i left them, did a bit of rocking/ white noise etc (in the days before i had a rockit) they would often go off again, and be sooooo much happier when they woke!
    Thanks loocyloo, I think I'm going to get a Rockit! Will report back!

7. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am refusing to buy a rockit. If parents want to buy one for me to use with their child then I would be happy to do so. I'm quite tough on naps (didn't used to be, but after getting a bad back from bending over the travel cot patting someone's back and lying them back down every time they stood up, I have become a bit tougher in the name of self preservation).

Like loocyloo said, are you able to leave them to settle themselves back to sleep once they wake up? I have had to do this recently with a little one who had never been given the chance to settle himself back to sleep. He learnt quite quickly - and whilst he wasn't particularly happy, I knew that he was safe. Sleeps like a dream now for almost three hours and wakes up so refreshed and relaxed.

What would happen if you didn't rock the little one to sleep? You might find that they cry for the same amount of time but do still fall asleep.

9. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i got my rockit when they were new and a very very good price thanks to a friend seeing them advertised somewhere! not sure i'd buy a new one now! I would think though, that for most people, they would only be used for a year or so, then they would sell them on!

11. Likes Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    i got my rockit when they were new and a very very good price thanks to a friend seeing them advertised somewhere! not sure i'd buy a new one now! I would think though, that for most people, they would only be used for a year or so, then they would sell them on!
    Good point, thanks loocyloo x