Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Loud child!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Loud child!

I look after a 4 year old who is incredibly loud.

She's very bossy and is always telling the other children what to do. But it is sooooo loud. She doesn't seem to be able to speak unless it's at top volume. Her mum is just the same. I can hear them arriving in the morning...from the bottom of the drive, through locked doors! Both of them have really high pitched, screechy voices.

Has anyone got any tricks for getting children to quieten their voices? We try singing songs in quiet and loud voices and she does know the difference. If I ask her to use her quiet voice she will for the next sentence, but then it's back to the screeching. She's not shouting as such, she just has a very loud, piercing voice. You can hear her all round the house and my son has to wear headphones when he's in his room doing uni work!

Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

no advice!

some people are just very LOUD! ( I have a LOUD friend! )

I sometimes tell the children that the neighbours/people in the park don't need to hear what they are saying, but i don't think it will have any long term effect.

3. Likes Pixie dust liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I sometimes tell the children that the neighbours/people in the park don't need to hear what they are saying, but i don't think it will have any long term effect.

I will say "shh you will wake the baby across road " but like you it only has a short term effect.

Mouse it is a tricky one especially if that's how her family are, it sounds like you are using all the strategies.
    Pixie Dust

5. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel for you!!! I had a loud family years ago and as well as being annoying (it's my bugbear anyway), it was so stressful. We lived in a flat at the time and the entrance to the building was right near my grumpy downstairs neighbours entrance to their flat. The family would also hang around after I had said goodbye to them. They were the sweetest family, but I was literally counting down the days to them leaving by the end of it. I had them for nearly four years.

Is there a way that you could comfortably mention it as a next step for PSED? 'We are learning to use indoor voices when we go to the library/museums etc.'

Are there any hearing problems in the family?

7. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I look after my 2 grandsons and they are very loud but when they are here with the others that I have after school or during holidays I’m constantly telling them all to use indoor voices. My daughter thinks it’s because they have to raise voices when working in groups in class.