Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy New Year!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    I could try!

But something that always interests me, is the number of 'non members' or members that are apparently reading / searching posts without commenting.

Hello 'lurkers' ... come and say hello. We're all very friendly and chatty. (And none of us know each other in 'real' life!)

I haven't looked at that info for ages so had a quick look.

The last new member registered in 2021, so we've had no one new for years!

Any new members have to have their posts moderated before they're posted. I've got a feeling there isn't anyone moderating the group so even if they do register and try posting, it doesn't happen so they give up.
    Last edited by Mouse; 15-01-2024 at 09:58 AM.

2. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I haven't looked at that info for ages so had a quick look.

The last new member registered in 2021, so we've had no one new for years!

Any new members have to have their posts moderated before they're posted. I've got a feeling there isn't anyone moderating the group so even if they do register and try posting, it doesn't happen so they give up.
    oh, that's a shame.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Pixie, did you enjoy your webinar? Mine was ok. I am enjoying the reading parts more.

Hope everyone is nice and warm x

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Pixie, did you enjoy your webinar? Mine was ok. I am enjoying the reading parts more.

Hope everyone is nice and warm x
    Mine was ok but I think I am going to enjoy the reading parts more too! Hopefully the webinars will get better once every one is used to it. I have a mixture of childminders and nursery practitioners in the group.
    Pixie Dust

6. Likes Maza liked this post
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don’t post anywhere near as much I used to but I still feel I can post and get useful feedback whether it’s business or personal. My friends in the face book forum and is always saying the chats get heated or they are sometimes just stupid questions. I’m not on Facebook personally
    We’ve had an indication of new funding rates but still not confirmed. They are looking quite competitive. They have mentioned in communication that if these rates are confirmed, we should seriously consider whether we need to charge for consumables. Apparently last year they had record number of complaints from parents asking where their free hours were.

8. Likes Pixie dust liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SYLVIA View Post
    I don’t post anywhere near as much I used to but I still feel I can post and get useful feedback whether it’s business or personal. My friends in the face book forum and is always saying the chats get heated or they are sometimes just stupid questions. I’m not on Facebook personally
    We’ve had an indication of new funding rates but still not confirmed. They are looking quite competitive. They have mentioned in communication that if these rates are confirmed, we should seriously consider whether we need to charge for consumables. Apparently last year they had record number of complaints from parents asking where their free hours were.

Wow! Just wow!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If we get the rates that are currently being 'consulted' about in North Yorkshire, then I won't need to charge a sustainability fee. However in that my term time only children pay a higher fee (so they don't pay during school holidays), they will still need to pay something.

Everytime i have a new set of parents taking the funding at least one is horrified/amazed that i am not paid my regular going fee and that the govt think it's fine to 'underpay' us, and hence, happily pay a sustainability session fee.

11. Likes Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish they would hurry up and tell us what the actual rates are going to be. Our LA says they'll tell us soon, but by the 31st March at the latest!

I also wish the government would stop calling it "free" hours. I thought they were supposed to be taking that off their info, but everything I've seen still calls it "free". On the website it does say the "free" childcare hours don't include consumables, but how many parents are going to read further than the word "free"?
    Personally, whatever the rates, I'm going to charge parents for meals or get them to provide a packed lunch.

13. Likes loocyloo, Pixie dust, Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I wish they would hurry up and tell us what the actual rates are going to be. Our LA says they'll tell us soon, but by the 31st March at the latest!

I also wish the government would stop calling it "free" hours. I thought they were supposed to be taking that off their info, but everything I've seen still calls it "free". On the website it does say the "free" childcare hours don't include consumables, but how many parents are going to read further than the word "free"?
    Personally, whatever the rates, I'm going to charge parents for meals or get them to provide a packed lunch.
    The problem that I would see with that though, is that if I am having to cook for one child, I may as well be cooking for them all and making the extra pennies. I would want all of them to bring their own lunch/tea, or none of them.

Yes, we are finding out our rates at that time too, Mouse.

15. Likes Pixie dust liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I provide meals for everyone, no exceptions! That way no arguments over who has what.
    I did ask parents to send pack ups during covid, but it got where as i was being asked to make toast/ cook eggs / heat beans etc, that i decided I'd start doing them myself again

17. Likes Maza, Pixie dust liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The only meal the children have here is a sandwich type lunch - I don't cook. I give parents the choice of sending a packed lunch or I provide lunch. I have about a 50/50 split at the moment.
    Parents know that it has to be a ready prepared lunch, so no cooking. The most I'll do is help a child peel an orange! I never have any problems with children wanting what someone else has got. They're often interested to see what each other is eating, but from a really early age they know they might have something different and it's just never caused any issues. Maybe I've just been lucky

19. Likes Maza liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I provide meals for everyone, no exceptions! That way no arguments over who has what.
    That's what I do too, all the parents have appreciated the fact that the children get lunch provided and it has encouraged the more fussy children to eat too. I had an awful visit once from environmental health many years ago when they insisted packed lunch had to be stored in the fridge but not in the children's boxes due to not knowing where they had been etc for me personally it is just easier to provide the food. Environmental health are another organisation where there is no consistency as a friend just had a visit and was told the products she were using were fine but I had been told to use a different cleaning products but we were both using the same product
    Pixie Dust

21. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Maza I have tried to reply to your message but your inbox is full
    Pixie Dust

23. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10