'Carrying on as normal'
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 'Carrying on as normal'

Wasn't sure what to call this!! But how many of you carry on as normal with your mindees around? For instance I may pop to the local shop if I am out of milk or bread or something (rarely do this but would) but would never do a full supermarket shop (not saying its wrong I just wouldn't myself). I rarely put a wash on if children are with me and hate it if the washing machine or dryer is going when parents call. I feel guilty about filling up with petrol with kids in the car. Never have the radio on. I'm not saying this because I think it should be this way but wondering what others do or dont do on the days they have children with them.

Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We pop to the shops for random bits ( although not so much in current times! ) we go to the post office, the newsagent,, the butchers, the bakers ( sadly no candlestick makers! ) and other local shops ... love the charity shops .... but we can walk to all of these. Used to visit a local florist, but she's works from home now!

I put washing on and hang it up outside/ on airer, I usually try to fill up with petrol without mindees in car, but if I need to, then I do, but do pay at pump. I've had people in to service boiler/aga/etc .... the mindees are usually fascinated and everyone chats to them! Oh and visit the garage! We love my mechanic!

I take my children to assorted hospital/dr/dentist appointments too .. we don't go in currently, but we have trooped in en masse in the past, and to lots of school events and meetings

Oh, and always have radio on! Radio 2/ 4 / classic fm. Never have tv on ... but barely watch it!

3. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

At the moment, no shops at all - but DH is at home so he can do any shopping we need to do. I used to plan little trips to the shops for things linked to their learning, such as to buy stuff for a recipe we would make together, but rarely went for something not related to childminding - at the time I didn't work a 5 day week and so could usually wait until my day off. Might have been different if I worked 5 days and didn't have DH at home.

However, I did start 'allowing' myself one trip to the shopping centre at Christmas and then one just before DD's birthday. It was usually to collect gifts from Argos and to pick up a couple of other bits and bobs linked to the celebrations. I would try and make it as child friendly as possible.

I don't usually do washing unless mindees are asleep. However, today I hung up two loads of laundry and mindee loved it. (They were emergency loads.) Actually, in the past I have purposely done washing in front of them - but it was art aprons or teddies.

I have taken them to doctors or dentist appointments when unavoidable.

Don't drive, so don't have that problem.

Have taken them to school 'talks'. School fairs and concerts are always a treat - but the 'talks' not so much!

I have started leaving mindee in his highchair for a few minutes after his lunch with a book, so that I can quickly clear up and wipe down the sides. I used to do it all when they were napping, but this way makes a massive difference to me.

Today I did actually pop on the news to see what tier we were in - but I can't remember the last time i had it on for me when working.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

In 'normal' times we go to local shops but not the supermarket. I always think it's nice that the shopkeepers get to know us and will chat to the children. I'm not taking the children to any shops now though. I try to make sure I don't need anything, but if I do run out of something I get one of my family to go out for it.

I will do washing while the children are here. They love to help. I don't let them touch the dirty washing, but they will help transfer it from the machine to the dryer and fold it when it's dry. I've usually done the first load before the children even get here, but I'll do at least another one through the day, often after lunch so I can do the bibs & tablecloth.

I never actually listen to the radio , but try not to have any noise on in the background. I've always been told you should keep background noise to a minimum, so I do, out of habit. I will put music and songs on for the children, if it's music & singing time, but I don't have it on otherwise.

The children will occasionally watch TV, but like the music, it's on for a specific reason, not just on in the background. I'll sometimes put the news on at lunchtime while the children are eating lunch, but only if there's something major going on.

I think a lot of parents chose a childminder knowing we'll do everyday things. Like Loocyloo, I've taken children to all sorts of places - appointments, meetings, coffee mornings, school plays, sports days. If it's an appointment I let parents know in advance, but I've only ever had one keep their child at home rather than let them come to an appointment with me.

One thing I won't do is have friends round for a social visit...unless they're bringing children with them.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have never done the weekly shop dont like taking my own children

Happily take them to a local shop etc the staff do remember them (well pre covid).

I will put washing in and hang out. But like Mouse the first load is usually done before they arrive.

I usually do the dishes after dinner and wipe down the surfaces. I will also run the hoover around if needed.

I do now try and do medical appointments without mindees my children are older so entitled to privacy.

I'm very much a home from home setting.

I will have the radio on and tv for certain programmes. We also use the switch after school on a Friday for the older children
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I take children to shop to get bits if we are cooking or having friends over for lunch. Hobby craft is a favourite for us and we pick up something new to do together. So I tend to take them to get supplies for us to use but I might pick up bits I need for myself at the same time. I do put washing on sometimes. Yes we have the tv on, but we watch together and we have music on, the Alex plays different types of music and I like to see how the children react to the sounds

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, I love hearing what you all do.