Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Diwali and other occasions.

Good evening!

I'm just starting to look at plans for this week and next few ...

We're still heavily into autumn leaves and conkers ( but I'm getting SOOOOO BORED! ) ... we had a brief foray into halloween and bonfire night, and then for a couple of days we'll look at Remembrance day. I usually make more of it, as the sunday parade is a big thing around here, but as it was going to be ( and was ) all very low key this year, I knew none of the mindees would be watching, so didn't particularly do anything last week. We will make poppies and go and visit the memorial this week.
    I've just realised that Diwali is next weekend ... but apart from making lanterns ... what else can we do to mark the celebration. ( I'm also wanting to put off starting Christmas activities !!! I refuse to start those until December! )

We live rurally, in a not very diverse area, and so in the past few years, have really focused on local activities and customs, and those that are relevant/significant to my minded children, as they occur - so this time of year is all the above and HARVEST.

SO, wonderful childminders ... suggest some activities for me!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I was planning on seeing if there is anything on the cbeebies website - they usually do little clips about festivals. I know there is a Peppa pig episode about diwali too - of all the things, lol.

General play with torches and random lights so that they are introduced to the concept of light showing us the way.

Some images on the computer of people celebrating diwali - discuss...(may or may not take off, who knows)

Food - I haven't decided what yet, very unorganised this weekend - in the past we have made our own chapatis (very easy) and I've made a dal. I know my current mindee won't be up for trying it.

Have Diwali related music on from youtube in the background.

3. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Morning everyone misty miserable Monday morning.well I’ve done Halloween,fireworks, Remembrance Sunday This week I had actually planned two things

1) I made flat Dina pots for children to paint ( I have very young children) these will be attached to a decorated card. Decorated by the child using pens, crayons or wet chalks.

2) I’m going to draw round each child’s hand and lower arm on white card then using a variety of stampers and ink or a little paint ( brown or ochre paint) let them decorated as a Mehndi design,when dry cut out hand/ arm and mount on coloured card with happy Diwali at the top and mehndi design at the bottom. If you cut out after they have printed doesn’t matter how much they do all over the page.

Any other ideas would be greatly received.

Suppose you tube will have some form of Diwali pictures account of it.

5. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Maza missed the bit you said about music on you tube 👍

7. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks both. great ideas

OOOO, I really like the idea of the decorated hands! and 'light' play ... could even get out my 'glow tent' ( bought it years ago ... it has a panel inside that you can 'write' on using a narrow beam of light but its smaller than I thought, and not sturdy enough to withstand rowdy afterschoolers! )

and Maza ... do you have recipe for chapati that works? i've tried before and they were inedible ( but that may have been influenced by my 'helpers' )

I've just remembered that YEARS ago, i did rice rangoli patterns ... but i don't know that i've got the energy to dye all the rice again, plus, having made some playdough this morning - i seem to have run out of all food colouring! ( I have made gorgeous yellow dough using tumeric! )

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a recipe on ***** under vegetarian recipes. They were so easy and I think only had two ingredients so even if they are inedible it was a fun process. Maybe add salt to make it more tasty for adults.

10. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

100g wholewheat flour (or chapatti flour)
    4 tbsp water (cold)
    1 tbsp vegetable oil (or ghee)

I just used whatever flour I had in, and veg oil.

12. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    100g wholewheat flour (or chapatti flour)
    4 tbsp water (cold)
    1 tbsp vegetable oil (or ghee)

I just used whatever flour I had in, and veg oil.
    Great, Thanks x do you then cook them in a pan like pancakes?

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I deliberately didn't cut and paste the actual recipe as I wasn't sure if I was allowed to seeing as the actual website is starred out.

Pour the flour into a bowl and make a well, add the oil and then gradually add the water until a soft (but not sticky dough is formed. Knead for 10 minutes. Leave it for 30 - 60 minutes. Then divide into 6 balls and roll out into chapati shapes. Add more flour if needed.

When pan is hot, add a chapati and when you see bubbles forming, turn it over and cook the other side.

15. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Great, thanks xxx