Do starting points have to be written down?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do starting points have to be written down?

Do starting points need to be written down/recorded?

I guess they don't take that long, because I have all the info in my head. I used to write a mini report almost, but I know that Ofsted are saying we can/should cut back on written stuff. I have some written bits from parents in an 'all about me' book, but that isn't just about starting points, it includes contact details etc.

Do you write a quick summary linked to the prime areas of learning?

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Do they 'need' to be? - No.
    I do, but then I know I can't remember enough off by heart, and I like to be able to have something written to discuss with parents as it is usually at a good point to talk about how they are settling etc.
    Note, there has also been a discussion to have more 'starting points' direct from parents at the point they start with you, before you have even got to know them. The thinking being that you should not miss a single opportunity- if you wait 4 weeks to do your 'starting points', to let them settle in first etc you may have already missed an opportunity to spot a gap, or an issue, or to support them in a particular area.
    You might get that info by chatting with parent while looking at 'What to Expect When..?' document and asking 'can baby do xyz?'. You will always get those parents who either over, or under, estimate their child's abilities, but it shows you are pro-active and not letting time go by. How you then document that is up to you. 'What to Expect When..?' is very useful for this, though.

3. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do write notes from what I've been told by parents or what I've observed during their visits and I use that info to plan for the first few days/weeks. The notes vaguely follow the prime areas, but I don't categorise them as such. After about a month I do an assessment to check I've been working along the right lines, to link it to EYOs and to set next steps.

5. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I take lots of photos over the first few days as well as scribbled notes. I print out relevant sections of 'what to expect when' and ask parents to annotate it.

I then use this, with my own knowledge to fill out tracker and check I'm going in the right direction.

All of this is kept in childs Learning Journey scrapbook, along with their all about me form.

7. Likes Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    I take lots of photos over the first few days as well as scribbled notes. I print out relevant sections of 'what to expect when' and ask parents to annotate it.

I then use this, with my own knowledge to fill out tracker and check I'm going in the right direction.

All of this is kept in childs Learning Journey scrapbook, along with their all about me form.

Is the "what to expect when" still the one from 2015, loocyloo? I was wondering this just today as I printed it off for starting points!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Is the "what to expect when" still the one from 2015, loocyloo? I was wondering this just today as I printed it off for starting points!
    There has an updated one. I'm on my phone ... I'll go and find it on laptop and try to add link!

found link to 'new' what to expect when . it was updated in 2018, but not much really changed!

https://www.foundationyears.org.uk/w...ect-when-1.pdf

What to expect, when? A parents’ guide | Action for Children

I can't actually find a link to an easy printable version, i don't know where or how i got mine, but i can't attach it!
    Last edited by loocyloo; 24-09-2020 at 07:39 PM.

10. Likes Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    There has an updated one. I'm on my phone ... I'll go and find it on laptop and try to add link!

found link to 'new' what to expect when . it was updated in 2018, but not much really changed!

https://www.foundationyears.org.uk/w...ect-when-1.pdf

What to expect, when? A parents’ guide | Action for Children

I can't actually find a link to an easy printable version, i don't know where or how i got mine, but i can't attach it!
    Ah thanks Loocyloo, oops! I dont know how I missed this! Thank you!!!

12. Likes loocyloo liked this post