Heatwave
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Heatwave

Post Thanks / Like

Default Heatwave

How are you all coping and managing in the heat with the little ones? What is everyone up to?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We try to go outside earlier in the day, before it gets excessively hot. We're lucky that our garden is quite shaded so I put the sand & water tables under the trees and move them round as the sun moves. . Then we spend the afternoon inside, with the curtains closed and the fan on. Some of the children play, but some flake out on the sofa or floor. They seems to find the coolest spot!

I don't cope well in heat. It drains me of any energy I've got so I keep the activities simple

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I'm trying to get them in the garden for a good 1-1.5 hours first thing, then back out after naps for another hour but that is all they (and me!) can really take! It's SOO hot! We're also having snacks and lunch in the garden sat in the shade.

Registered Childminder since
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, doing lots of water play early in the day. Interesting you are using your sand tray mouse I didn’t think we were meant to at the present time? Though I can’t understand why if it’s the same children. I noticed the parks had there sand part open. This sun a kill anything off!

I’m not coping well in this heat, I don’t do hot! Must say the children are coping a lot better than me. Also heat does wonders for your hair 😩

And what happen to children playing on their own? Anyone else feel the children need constant direction and activities?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the advice not to use sand trays was more aimed at bigger settings where several different ‘bubbles’ may have access to it. I only have 4 different children here throughout the week and they’re all here together on a Thursday. They play with everything else together so I’m happy for them to play with the sand together.
    I might think differently if I had groups of children who didn’t come on the same days and were never n contact with each other.

6. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate sand so I’m using it as an excuse not to refill the sand play. I’m taking them out for a walk in the early morning and back for lunch. Then they can stay inside in the cool or play in the shade in the garden; mostly opting for inside. I don’t have problems sleeping and in this weather I have a cool shower then get into bed. I have before frozen plastic bottles, then wrapped them in towel and put them into the bed about half hour before bedtime