Technology resources
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Technology resources

How do you promote the use of technology in your setting?

I've done a bit of a resources audit and have realise I don't do as much in that area as I probably should.

I currently have children aged from 20 months - 4 years. I do have 2 tablets, but haven't used them for ages. I don't like the idea of children having free access to them, but I'm sure there must be some good educational apps I could put on them and some good ways we could use them.

I'm also thinking about getting a camera for the children to use, but they could always use the tablet to take pictures.

I don't really have any electronic toys, so maybe I need to get some? I have got calculators, old mobile phones (but is that technology if they don't work?).

I'm interested to know what you all have.

2. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We do have an iPad which we occasionally use but I remember being told that technology wasn't just about computers etc its about 'How things work' we have some wind up torches, push/pull toys, old mobile phones, microphone and a camera that the children can use. I think the children get enough screen time at home with out me promoting it to as the 3 years have their tablets at home plus the way they play with the old mobile phones obviously mirrors what they see/hear their parents do as they often pretend to play games or take photos with them so we don't do a lot of screen type technology more how thing work ...if that makes sense !
    Pixie Dust

4. Likes loocyloo, Dragonfly liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you mean technology, or digital? Digital is only one part of technology and tends to have expensive implications!

My sister and I were discussing how 'boys' toys are more geared towards technology than stereotypical girls toys, so that might be a good place to start. Fisherprice garages might have a pulley system for the lift, a crane or a tractor might have movable parts in the form of leavers - anything with switches, levers, knobs, wind up toys. Toy tills.

Books have movable parts too sometimes. Lots of baby toys have buttons that make music, lights or movement. A shape sorter might have a door on hinges that you open to release the shapes.

If you look up STEAM you will find some great activities to help in this area using stuff you will have already. I remember making catapults with my two pre-schoolers and they loved it. It introduced so many concepts and we made up lots of games using them.

There's lots of technology in everyday chores that they could help you with - cooking baking using a mixer, garlic press, toaster, microwave buttons. They could help you print out some labels or photos, press the buttons on the washing machine when you wash the dolls clothes or the soft toys, setting timers

Torches are always popular with little ones. I have a beebot and walkie talkies which are both very popular here - but they were presents for DD when she was little so are more expensive than my typical childminding resources. Remote control cars too, but the batteries can make that an expensive activity too.

There is lots of technology in the environment - but we are limited on what we can allow them to touch at the moment - scanning own books at the library, scanning tickets for public transport, pressing the button to cross the road, escalators, lifts, revolving doors.

6. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I remember having this conversation with Singing Cactus many years ago! ...

Following her suggestion, I have a box with old phones and cameras in, binoculars, stop watches ( always randomly beeping and I can't make them work properly! ) , watches, torches and calculators and random macdonalds toys that move when you press buttons!! These are either in the dressing up box or a basket on the side.

I also have some very annoying electronic toys such as vtech apple and a peppa pig thing that has letters of alphabet/sounds/colours/numbers/songs etc, a pretend tablet that lights up and does similar to above when you press buttons, a vtech (?) House that has light switches/doors/buttons etc on it, a bob the builder phone that rings and talks and asks questions and a couple of other electronic things! All of these have been bought for a few pounds from charity shops!
    The children sometimes use my phone to take pictures and we look up information on it too. They like looking at things on the laptop, but only I use it!
    I did have a hungry caterpillar game app, and they enjoy that. Cbeebies has good games, and I also have talking Tom on my phone ( as advised by a speech and language advisor .. as it encourages children to talk as they like him copying them! )
    However, we don't really play games etc and the electronic noisy toys live in a box that the children can access, but don't that often.

I prefer to be outside and playing in the natural world! They can have electronic tech toys at home!
    Last edited by loocyloo; 21-07-2020 at 01:30 PM.

8. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Gosh loocyloo, talking tom! That brings back memories (I'm assuming it's the cat thing). My DD used to love that - I didn't realise it was a good thing until I read your post!

I've just remembered - we also have a wind up musical box with a ballerina that twirls around. That was my absolute favourite thing as a child.

10. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

That's given me lots of ideas, thank you. First of all I need to read up on what technology actually includes. In my mind I think of electric or battery operated things so I need to start changing the way I think.

We do probably access a lot more technology during the day than I realise .

12. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a child’s digital camera, the rest are v tech, old phones, wind up , vetch I pads , cameras. I prefer being out side. they take binoculars, magnifying glasses, bug pots and a digital camera. Any thing more technical can be used at their own homes.

14. Likes loocyloo liked this post