Current situation
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Current situation

What is your current situation with regards to CoronaVirus? Will you re-open as soon as you can? Are you open for key worker children? Has this pushed you to retire/close/stop childminding altogether? It will be strange going back to normal after this if there will even be "normal" again!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I closed on 23rd March and haven’t worked since then. A couple of my parents are keyworkers but the other parents were at home so I didn’t need to have the children. After I’d closed I packed all the childminding stuff away so wouldn’t have been set up to take on any other keyworker children. It’s just been easier to stay closed.

I’m keeping in touch with all the families and plan for them all to come back once we’re allowed to open again. I won’t push for them all to come back straight away. If any don’t need care for a while I’ll keep their spaces open until they’re ready. I know some will need to come back quickly if they go back to work, but others won’t need care straight away. I wont be rushing to fill their spaces.

I have to be honest, I have quite enjoyed not having a house full of childminding stuff. Once I’m open again I’m considering keeping toys and resources to a minimum, although I know it will build up again over time.

How are you doing Mumofone? Have you been open for keyworkers?

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have remained open for key worker families which I have 2 of...it's been quite calm with just the 2 children and no older ones or school runs. I have put some of my resources away too so there isn't so much to clean. When things do open up so the other children can return I think it will be strange for them at first after spending all this time at home so I think it's going to take time settling everyone back.
    Pixie Dust

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm open for my keyworker families, but I'm now down to just one family of siblings, twice a week. I'm enjoying it, but it's going to be hard going back to lots of children, school runs etc ... I am looking forward to it though! Whenever it happens!
    I did put alot of stuff away, but I've put it all back, as I know what my mindees will play with!

Post Thanks / Like

I've remained open with one to two families only. Im loving the no school runs and the calmer environment! It would be a shock to go back to normal. Ive held spaces open for non paying non attending customers (they haven't offered to pay!!) but I dont know how long to keep their spaces open whilst they dont pay. Such a difficult one. And if this should all kick off again how to re-work contracts so I am covered in times like this.

Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

I have not worked since 23rd March and although I have 2 key worker families I am in the vulnerable category so couldn't open. I am now thinking to retire more early than I had thought to and I now realise how tired I was working 11 hours a day for 5 days a week. So as soon as my daughter gets her registration done I think I'll be off ( at the moment she works with me as my assistant). I always thought I would miss it too much when I stopped but hey I don't ! I am 70 by the way lol.

7. Likes Maza, Dragonfly liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    I've remained open with one to two families only. Im loving the no school runs and the calmer environment! It would be a shock to go back to normal. Ive held spaces open for non paying non attending customers (they haven't offered to pay!!) but I dont know how long to keep their spaces open whilst they dont pay. Such a difficult one. And if this should all kick off again how to re-work contracts so I am covered in times like this.
    I'm not charging non attending families, as they are not allowed to attend as i am not open for them! I have said that i have temporary spaces available for critical ( when did is change from keyworker?! )/vulnerable children, but haven't had any takers, and to be honest, i'm quite happy as its hard enough in these strange times with families and children i know, let alone trying to settle a new child & family! I held all fees from when I had to shut ( 20th march ) and said they would be held as retainer fees for the future, and not refundable. I am holding spaces until we are able to open ( only exception, is the child that is starting full time school in September ... IF it is september we start back! but i have already filled that space on paper ... mum and i were about to meet in person, and then we couldn't !!! ) Once we are allowed to open, i will contact all parents and discuss their needs and explain, that once I am allowed to open for all families, then I will be charging as usual. I am thinking about putting something into my contracts to cover emergency/enforced closure, but i am sure that closer to the time pacey and other bods will come up with appropriate wording!

oh my goodness Chris ... well done. i think i'd be retiring now myself! i do 4, 10 hr days, and that is more than enough!

Take care xxx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris goodyear View Post
    I have not worked since 23rd March and although I have 2 key worker families I am in the vulnerable category so couldn't open. I am now thinking to retire more early than I had thought to and I now realise how tired I was working 11 hours a day for 5 days a week. So as soon as my daughter gets her registration done I think I'll be off ( at the moment she works with me as my assistant). I always thought I would miss it too much when I stopped but hey I don't ! I am 70 by the way lol.
    Oh goodness, yes I'd retire too if I was in your shoes! :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    I'm not charging non attending families, as they are not allowed to attend as i am not open for them! I have said that i have temporary spaces available for critical ( when did is change from keyworker?! )/vulnerable children, but haven't had any takers, and to be honest, i'm quite happy as its hard enough in these strange times with families and children i know, let alone trying to settle a new child & family! I held all fees from when I had to shut ( 20th march ) and said they would be held as retainer fees for the future, and not refundable. I am holding spaces until we are able to open ( only exception, is the child that is starting full time school in September ... IF it is september we start back! but i have already filled that space on paper ... mum and i were about to meet in person, and then we couldn't !!! ) Once we are allowed to open, i will contact all parents and discuss their needs and explain, that once I am allowed to open for all families, then I will be charging as usual. I am thinking about putting something into my contracts to cover emergency/enforced closure, but i am sure that closer to the time pacey and other bods will come up with appropriate wording!

oh my goodness Chris ... well done. i think i'd be retiring now myself! i do 4, 10 hr days, and that is more than enough!

Take care xxx
    Ooh when did it change from "Keywroker" to "Critical"??! I missed that!

Aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I closed on 20th March. My partner is my assistant and has underlying health conditions but doesn’t come in the ‘shielded’ category. I’m waiting to see what the re opening guidance will look like as I really don't know how we’re going to re open, we can’t social distance with toddlers! I could re open on my own but that will be hard with only one toilet/bathroom and the play area is our living area! Lots to think about..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ceb99 View Post
    I closed on 20th March. My partner is my assistant and has underlying health conditions but doesn’t come in the ‘shielded’ category. I’m waiting to see what the re opening guidance will look like as I really don't know how we’re going to re open, we can’t social distance with toddlers! I could re open on my own but that will be hard with only one toilet/bathroom and the play area is our living area! Lots to think about..
    It's so complicated isn't it! I wonder what the guidance will be over the next couple of weeks...