Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Help for the self employed

The pm said in his briefing tonight that an announcement on help for the self employed would be tomorrow night
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

2. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Let’s hope we get something.stressful times.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I get the feeling Rishi really doesn't like the self employed!!

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I get the feeling Rishi really doesn't like the self employed!!
    Agree with you there.......quietly added that we will be paying for this via taxes/national insurance to be inline with everyone else !
    Pixie Dust

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn’t realise we got preferential tax rates!

I’m still completely confused. I’m working now for key work families. Will they take that off this payment? If so do I keep putting my family at risk opening my home each day to families for nothing.?

No one actually seems to understand we are not like the hairdressers and decorators and everyone who has closed because of this. We are key workers expected to work at high risk in our own homes at vastly reduced incomes in most cases. The reality is even if I claim this payment it is going to be under a third of my current income , yet parents will see the headline and think I’m being unfair in charging them ( those key workers I am open to regardless of if they come)
    I think I feel worse about this now than when we weren’t getting anything yet I know I should be pleased.

7. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You can still work and claim the grant
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

9. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully it will come sooner than June for all the childminders that have no money coming in at all.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Hopefully it will come sooner than June for all the childminders that have no money coming in at all.
    I do feel very sorry for the childminders who have recently set up and won’t get anything. They’ve probably paid out a lot in set up costs and now won’t be getting anything back.

Did everyone get an email last night from HMRC? It said we’ll be contacted by the beginning of June, so the wait to receive money will be even longer. It’s going to be very tough for some people.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I do feel very sorry for the childminders who have recently set up and won’t get anything. They’ve probably paid out a lot in set up costs and now won’t be getting anything back.

Did everyone get an email last night from HMRC? It said we’ll be contacted by the beginning of June, so the wait to receive money will be even longer. It’s going to be very tough for some people.
    I haven't had an email. Do you think they'll look at 19/20 accounts? This could be the first year in many that I actually file 'early'! Typically, this is/was one of the better years I've had! Hey Ho. I'm just grateful that we'll get something
    .. although it sounds like we'll pay for it going forward. But to be fair, I expect everyone's taxes/NI will go up.

I agree, I feel sorry for new childminders and anyone who has recently set up a new self employed business.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    I haven't had an email. Do you think they'll look at 19/20 accounts? This could be the first year in many that I actually file 'early'! Typically, this is/was one of the better years I've had! Hey Ho. I'm just grateful that we'll get something
    .. although it sounds like we'll pay for it going forward. But to be fair, I expect everyone's taxes/NI will go up.

I agree, I feel sorry for new childminders and anyone who has recently set up a new self employed business.
    No, I don’t think they’ll look at 19/20 accounts. There would be be too much scope for people to declare much larger profits than normal. You don’t actually have to put any expenses down if you don’t want to, so people would just put their gross income, little or no expenses and a bigger net profit. I’m not saying any of us would do that, but they have to remove the opportunity for it to happen.

I always file my tax return early, so it’s just about ready to go now. I save money to pay my tax and NI, but I might hold on to that for now in case I need it.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That makes sense.

I'll have mine ready to file shortly ... but like you ... I won't be paying any tax yet! I too put a bit aside each month but again, will hold into it. X

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I got the email from HMRC looking at last 3 years aren’t they? Or did I make that up?

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I still haven't had email!

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Robert Peston asked a question around people’s savings for tax and NI and Universal Credit.
    Apparently, he quoted, not sure how accurate it is.....
    Self employed People have not qualified for UC because they have put aside in their savings their tax and NI payments.....it is classed just as savings.
    So it seems the expectation is that you use that to live off....but then how are people going to make that money back up to pay their tax bill?
    I am interested because my son is in a similar situation.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I got the email from HMRC looking at last 3 years aren’t they? Or did I make that up?
    They’ll take an average of the last 3 years accounts, assuming you have that many.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    Robert Peston asked a question around people’s savings for tax and NI and Universal Credit.
    Apparently, he quoted, not sure how accurate it is.....
    Self employed People have not qualified for UC because they have put aside in their savings their tax and NI payments.....it is classed just as savings.
    So it seems the expectation is that you use that to live off....but then how are people going to make that money back up to pay their tax bill?
    I am interested because my son is in a similar situation.
    UC is means tested and they take savings into account.
    I know alot of cms who have partners are being told they are not entitled to anyyhing

20. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m going to email all my parents an invoice for April and ask them to pay at least half. I don’t need their full fees as my expenses are reduced - I’m not buying food, nappies, wipes etc and I haven’t bought any new resources for at least 2 weeks!

I’m also thinking of drawing up new contracts with something in about half fees being due if I’m forced to close through no fault of my own.

22. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m going to email all my parents an invoice for April and ask them to pay at least half. I don’t need their full fees as my expenses are reduced - I’m not buying food, nappies, wipes etc and I haven’t bought any new resources for at least 2 weeks!

I’m also thinking of drawing up new contracts with something in about half fees being due if I’m forced to close through no fault of my own.
    I've no idea what to do about invoices. I feel so bad invoicing when I am not providing care but at the same time my parents are still being paid. I think people are all too nicey nice when they need you and, in my case, go very quiet when they don't!

24. Likes Maza, Dragonfly liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm not asking parents who can't attend to pay.

Pretty much, most of my parents are either keyworkers (mainly farmers) or self employed. The farmers are pretty much keeping their children at home, but with their partners (who are self employed) not working, and the majority of those, their children access funding.

I have kept what is left of March's fees as a 'retainer' for providing care when I am able to start back up again. No one has complained about that. I have some keyworker children who are attending and still paying their fees. I did see something about asking those who families who receive childcare payments under tax credits/universal credits to still keep paying, as they are getting it paid ... but that doesn't apply, and i think it could get messy/be detrimental to those families in the future.

I am ( probably ) going to do new contracts for everyone once we start again ( that will be an added faff! ) to include half fees for emergency/unforseen closure, and to also sort out some income protection for myself! I nearly did it a couple of years ago, and can't remember why i didn't! wish i had! but hey, hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Take care, and do what is best for you and your family/minded childrens families.

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I don’t feel I can charge anything if I’m not providing a service.Thats why I’m hoping for help having had to close.

27. Likes loocyloo liked this post