Covid-19 school and early year closures?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  42
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 71
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    in a world of my own
    Posts
    201
    Registered Childminder since
    fEB2006
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Covid-19 school and early year closures?

    Do we have to close? 🤦*♀️ I can’t afford too?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,781
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    I DON'T KNOW!

    However, my current thinking ( and i've done lots today because my mindees didn't want to play with me! ) is that we are private businesses, and as such, are not 'ruled' by govt ( although 'licenced' ( for want of a better word ) by Ofsted )

    So ... I'm thinking that as long as we abide by all the guidelines etc, then we can stay open, as long as we are well! ( and then, if we need to shut for 14 days self isolation, we open up after )

    I've emailed my LA to ask, and to see if they can clarify matters!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4,125
    Registered Childminder since
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think he just said they have the power to enforce closures. But shouldn’t we be open for key workers , nd how soon will they publish the list of what a key worker is.

  4. Likes loocyloo, Dragonfly liked this post
  5. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    By the sea
    Posts
    8,924
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It's very confusing.

    I would guess we'll stay open, but it is going to need some clarification.

    They did say there would be financial help in place, but no actual mention of what that would be.

  6. Likes loocyloo liked this post
  7. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,781
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    I think he just said they have the power to enforce closures. But shouldn’t we be open for key workers , nd how soon will they publish the list of what a key worker is.
    so far a key worker is not restricted to 'emergency workers, retail staff and childcare workers' ???? !!!!

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4,125
    Registered Childminder since
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    He mentioned delivery drivers! We need that list and the guidance updating. I’m already having queries from parents that I can’t answer and they don’t seem to understand I’m as much in the dark as they are. They should have the guidance ready as soon as the announcements are made.

    So just another question ...if I’m ‘open’ ie for key workers ...then is that contractually classed as being open or closed ...... I charge full of open , nothing if closed.

  9. Likes loocyloo, Dragonfly liked this post
  10. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    in a world of my own
    Posts
    201
    Registered Childminder since
    fEB2006
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    I think he just said they have the power to enforce closures. But shouldn’t we be open for key workers , nd how soon will they publish the list of what a key worker is.
    They state the vulnerable as well though 2year olds receive funding because most areas suffer from poverty.

  11. Likes loocyloo liked this post
  12. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4,125
    Registered Childminder since
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    He specified vulnerable as having a social worker or an EHP. There are so many more than that in need than that

  13. Likes loocyloo liked this post
  14. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    713
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Would be good to get clarification soon as I have front line working parents so I guess I can stay open for them until told otherwise. I don't want to close yet I know there will be a point when we have to. On some days I have just one frontline person as others are office based who can work from home so does that mean I can only have the frontline worker's child as I wouldn't want to open for just one little one either !
    Pixie Dust

  15. Likes loocyloo, mama2three, Dragonfly liked this post
  16. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    in the never never land fighting off fae
    Posts
    6,986
    Registered Childminder since
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default

    From Sarah

    **THIS GUIDANCE MAY CHANGE**
    The government has announced the PARTIAL closure of early years settings INCLUDING childminders. Our CURRENT understanding is that this means we will be able to continue to care for the children of, for example, key workers such as social services, mental health workers, prison workers, border patrol, front line local govt employees, education workers, medical professionals, delivery drivers, the forces and police etc and vulnerable children (under social services or with an EHC Plan). We are waiting for further clarification about which children this includes from the government but the definition seems broad.
    PLEASE NOTE: THIS GUIDANCE MAY CHANGE - WE ARE STILL WAITING FOR FURTHER CLARIFICATION. THANK YOU.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

  17. Likes loocyloo, mama2three liked this post
  18. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,781
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pixie dust View Post
    Would be good to get clarification soon as I have front line working parents so I guess I can stay open for them until told otherwise. I don't want to close yet I know there will be a point when we have to. On some days I have just one frontline person as others are office based who can work from home so does that mean I can only have the frontline worker's child as I wouldn't want to open for just one little one either !
    this is my confusion! ... but then, if that was the case; then i 'think' we could offer the place to other 'front line staff' ! I know that i have an 'ex' mum who would be interested IF i could help her out, but my commitment is to my current families.

    I also need further clarification of 'key workers' as, being rural, i have several farmers children!

    in fact, looking at my list of children and parents ... I literally only have one family who don't tick keyworker boxes ( apart from the farmers! )

  19. #12
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,237
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My brother is an accountant in the nhs and surprisingly he has been told that he might be classed as a key worker too! He said they have been told that they might be 'drafted down the line to do other jobs'. He said it could be typing up notes and clerical duties, whatever that means.

    Loocyloo, we were also talking about farmers and how important they are in all of this. Also, factory workers. It's amazing when you really start to think about it.

  20. Likes loocyloo liked this post
  21. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,087
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    From Sarah

    **THIS GUIDANCE MAY CHANGE**
    The government has announced the PARTIAL closure of early years settings INCLUDING childminders. Our CURRENT understanding is that this means we will be able to continue to care for the children of, for example, key workers such as social services, mental health workers, prison workers, border patrol, front line local govt employees, education workers, medical professionals, delivery drivers, the forces and police etc and vulnerable children (under social services or with an EHC Plan). We are waiting for further clarification about which children this includes from the government but the definition seems broad.
    PLEASE NOTE: THIS GUIDANCE MAY CHANGE - WE ARE STILL WAITING FOR FURTHER CLARIFICATION. THANK YOU.
    Thanks Fussy, where did Sarah post this please?

  22. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,087
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pixie dust View Post
    Would be good to get clarification soon as I have front line working parents so I guess I can stay open for them until told otherwise. I don't want to close yet I know there will be a point when we have to. On some days I have just one frontline person as others are office based who can work from home so does that mean I can only have the frontline worker's child as I wouldn't want to open for just one little one either !
    Yes, I wondered this. I have a few key workers children but do I then exclude any children that dont have key worker parents?

  23. Likes loocyloo, Dragonfly liked this post
  24. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,781
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Yes, I wondered this. I have a few key workers children but do I then exclude any children that dont have key worker parents?
    And do BOTH parents have to be keyworkers?

  25. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    By the sea
    Posts
    8,924
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I’ve got 2 parents desperate for me to close so they don’t have to pay me. They both have school aged children and will be off work now, not needing childcare for the younger ones. They know they’ll have to pay if I stay open, but won’t have to pay if I close. They’ll both be on full pay so I feel sad that they want to avoid paying me when if they can.

    Then I’ve got another mum who is desperate for me to stay open so that she can carry on working and earning. She’s not a key worker so it looks like I might not be able to have her child.

    It’s such a worrying time for so many people and the uncertainty really isn’t helping.

  26. Likes loocyloo liked this post
  27. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4,125
    Registered Childminder since
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Looking at the childcare.co.uk insurance it seems we may be coverered up to £1000 for loss of revenue , closure due to infectious disease. Section 3 of the policy document

  28. Likes loocyloo liked this post
  29. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    By the sea
    Posts
    8,924
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    Looking at the childcare.co.uk insurance it seems we may be coverered up to £1000 for loss of revenue , closure due to infectious disease. Section 3 of the policy document
    Up until now they’ve said the only way they’ll consider a claim is if there’s a medical diagnosis of Coronavirus in the setting and you have direct notification from you LA to close down.

    I know in a press conference the other day the PM said that for businesses their Business Interruption insurance will now have to pay out based on the fact they government has said it’s got to be paid. I don’t know if that applies to us, but I doubt it!

  30. Likes loocyloo liked this post
  31. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,781
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    My brain has obviously been working things out while I was asleep!

    I 'think' as I'm going to be open, there will be no refund for fees paid this month.
    Going forward, only charging fees for those children who are eligible to attend. As soon as we know criteria for those who can attend I will work out who can come and then offer my spaces to other families. The tricky bit will be keeping to 6 under 8. And, I feel awful saying it, unless it is an older child I already know well, I'm not going to take older ones.
    I was due to put my fees up in April. I just don't think I can do that, at this time. But I will be asking them to provide lunch and maybe stop doing tea. ( and I've already booked the first week of April off. My brain says stick to it, you'll need the brain space for what is coming, my heart says 'but if people need me' argh! )

    Yes, I saw that mama2three ... as long as the reason for being shut down is accepted.

  32. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4,125
    Registered Childminder since
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    My brain has obviously been working things out while I was asleep!

    I 'think' as I'm going to be open, there will be no refund for fees paid this month.
    Going forward, only charging fees for those children who are eligible to attend. As soon as we know criteria for those who can attend I will work out who can come and then offer my spaces to other families. The tricky bit will be keeping to 6 under 8. And, I feel awful saying it, unless it is an older child I already know well, I'm not going to take older ones.
    I was due to put my fees up in April. I just don't think I can do that, at this time. But I will be asking them to provide lunch and maybe stop doing tea. ( and I've already booked the first week of April off. My brain says stick to it, you'll need the brain space for what is coming, my heart says 'but if people need me' argh! )

    Yes, I saw that mama2three ... as long as the reason for being shut down is accepted.

    My thinking is very similar Loocyloo
    I’m not sure if there will be anyone else looking for places but I am happy to take them on if I can on an adhoc basis.
    Full fees for key workers children whether or not they attend. No fees for anyone else. Do you think that’s fair? I need to earn but I don’t want to be seen as predatory😟

  33. Likes loocyloo, Dragonfly liked this post
 

 
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Quick Links and Advertisements

Important Information Links
Some Useful Quick Links
Advertisements

 

You can also find us on:
Covid-19 school and early year closures? Covid-19 school and early year closures? Covid-19 school and early year closures?

We use cookies to make this site as useful as possible. They are small text files placed in your browser to track usage of our site but they don’t tell us who you are.
By continuing to use this site you are consenting to cookies being placed on your computer. Find out more here: Cookies in Use

Childminding Help and the Childminding Forum are part of Childcare.co.uk