Covid-19 school and early year closures?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  42
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    fEB2006
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Covid-19 school and early year closures?

Do we have to close? šŸ¤¦*ā™€ļø I canā€™t afford too?

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I DON'T KNOW!

However, my current thinking ( and i've done lots today because my mindees didn't want to play with me! ) is that we are private businesses, and as such, are not 'ruled' by govt ( although 'licenced' ( for want of a better word ) by Ofsted )

So ... I'm thinking that as long as we abide by all the guidelines etc, then we can stay open, as long as we are well! ( and then, if we need to shut for 14 days self isolation, we open up after )

I've emailed my LA to ask, and to see if they can clarify matters!

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think he just said they have the power to enforce closures. But shouldnā€™t we be open for key workers , nd how soon will they publish the list of what a key worker is.

4. Likes loocyloo, Dragonfly liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's very confusing.

I would guess we'll stay open, but it is going to need some clarification.

They did say there would be financial help in place, but no actual mention of what that would be.

6. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    I think he just said they have the power to enforce closures. But shouldnā€™t we be open for key workers , nd how soon will they publish the list of what a key worker is.
    so far a key worker is not restricted to 'emergency workers, retail staff and childcare workers' ???? !!!!

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

He mentioned delivery drivers! We need that list and the guidance updating. Iā€™m already having queries from parents that I canā€™t answer and they donā€™t seem to understand Iā€™m as much in the dark as they are. They should have the guidance ready as soon as the announcements are made.

So just another question ...if Iā€™m ā€˜openā€™ ie for key workers ...then is that contractually classed as being open or closed ...... I charge full of open , nothing if closed.

9. Likes loocyloo, Dragonfly liked this post
    fEB2006
    Post Thanks / Like

They state the vulnerable as well though 2year olds receive funding because most areas suffer from poverty.

11. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

He specified vulnerable as having a social worker or an EHP. There are so many more than that in need than that

13. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Would be good to get clarification soon as I have front line working parents so I guess I can stay open for them until told otherwise. I don't want to close yet I know there will be a point when we have to. On some days I have just one frontline person as others are office based who can work from home so does that mean I can only have the frontline worker's child as I wouldn't want to open for just one little one either !
    Pixie Dust

15. Likes loocyloo, mama2three, Dragonfly liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

From Sarah

**THIS GUIDANCE MAY CHANGE**
    The government has announced the PARTIAL closure of early years settings INCLUDING childminders. Our CURRENT understanding is that this means we will be able to continue to care for the children of, for example, key workers such as social services, mental health workers, prison workers, border patrol, front line local govt employees, education workers, medical professionals, delivery drivers, the forces and police etc and vulnerable children (under social services or with an EHC Plan). We are waiting for further clarification about which children this includes from the government but the definition seems broad.
    PLEASE NOTE: THIS GUIDANCE MAY CHANGE - WE ARE STILL WAITING FOR FURTHER CLARIFICATION. THANK YOU.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

17. Likes loocyloo, mama2three liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie dust View Post
    Would be good to get clarification soon as I have front line working parents so I guess I can stay open for them until told otherwise. I don't want to close yet I know there will be a point when we have to. On some days I have just one frontline person as others are office based who can work from home so does that mean I can only have the frontline worker's child as I wouldn't want to open for just one little one either !
    this is my confusion! ... but then, if that was the case; then i 'think' we could offer the place to other 'front line staff' ! I know that i have an 'ex' mum who would be interested IF i could help her out, but my commitment is to my current families.

I also need further clarification of 'key workers' as, being rural, i have several farmers children!

in fact, looking at my list of children and parents ... I literally only have one family who don't tick keyworker boxes ( apart from the farmers! )

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My brother is an accountant in the nhs and surprisingly he has been told that he might be classed as a key worker too! He said they have been told that they might be 'drafted down the line to do other jobs'. He said it could be typing up notes and clerical duties, whatever that means.

Loocyloo, we were also talking about farmers and how important they are in all of this. Also, factory workers. It's amazing when you really start to think about it.

20. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    From Sarah

**THIS GUIDANCE MAY CHANGE**
    The government has announced the PARTIAL closure of early years settings INCLUDING childminders. Our CURRENT understanding is that this means we will be able to continue to care for the children of, for example, key workers such as social services, mental health workers, prison workers, border patrol, front line local govt employees, education workers, medical professionals, delivery drivers, the forces and police etc and vulnerable children (under social services or with an EHC Plan). We are waiting for further clarification about which children this includes from the government but the definition seems broad.
    PLEASE NOTE: THIS GUIDANCE MAY CHANGE - WE ARE STILL WAITING FOR FURTHER CLARIFICATION. THANK YOU.
    Thanks Fussy, where did Sarah post this please?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie dust View Post
    Yes, I wondered this. I have a few key workers children but do I then exclude any children that dont have key worker parents?

23. Likes loocyloo, Dragonfly liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Yes, I wondered this. I have a few key workers children but do I then exclude any children that dont have key worker parents?
    And do BOTH parents have to be keyworkers?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Iā€™ve got 2 parents desperate for me to close so they donā€™t have to pay me. They both have school aged children and will be off work now, not needing childcare for the younger ones. They know theyā€™ll have to pay if I stay open, but wonā€™t have to pay if I close. Theyā€™ll both be on full pay so I feel sad that they want to avoid paying me when if they can.

Then Iā€™ve got another mum who is desperate for me to stay open so that she can carry on working and earning. Sheā€™s not a key worker so it looks like I might not be able to have her child.

Itā€™s such a worrying time for so many people and the uncertainty really isnā€™t helping.

26. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the childcare.co.uk insurance it seems we may be coverered up to Ā£1000 for loss of revenue , closure due to infectious disease. Section 3 of the policy document

28. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the childcare.co.uk insurance it seems we may be coverered up to Ā£1000 for loss of revenue , closure due to infectious disease. Section 3 of the policy document
    Up until now theyā€™ve said the only way theyā€™ll consider a claim is if thereā€™s a medical diagnosis of Coronavirus in the setting and you have direct notification from you LA to close down.

I know in a press conference the other day the PM said that for businesses their Business Interruption insurance will now have to pay out based on the fact they government has said itā€™s got to be paid. I donā€™t know if that applies to us, but I doubt it!

30. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My brain has obviously been working things out while I was asleep!

I 'think' as I'm going to be open, there will be no refund for fees paid this month.
    Going forward, only charging fees for those children who are eligible to attend. As soon as we know criteria for those who can attend I will work out who can come and then offer my spaces to other families. The tricky bit will be keeping to 6 under 8. And, I feel awful saying it, unless it is an older child I already know well, I'm not going to take older ones.
    I was due to put my fees up in April. I just don't think I can do that, at this time. But I will be asking them to provide lunch and maybe stop doing tea. ( and I've already booked the first week of April off. My brain says stick to it, you'll need the brain space for what is coming, my heart says 'but if people need me' argh! )

Yes, I saw that mama2three ... as long as the reason for being shut down is accepted.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    My brain has obviously been working things out while I was asleep!

I 'think' as I'm going to be open, there will be no refund for fees paid this month.
    Going forward, only charging fees for those children who are eligible to attend. As soon as we know criteria for those who can attend I will work out who can come and then offer my spaces to other families. The tricky bit will be keeping to 6 under 8. And, I feel awful saying it, unless it is an older child I already know well, I'm not going to take older ones.
    I was due to put my fees up in April. I just don't think I can do that, at this time. But I will be asking them to provide lunch and maybe stop doing tea. ( and I've already booked the first week of April off. My brain says stick to it, you'll need the brain space for what is coming, my heart says 'but if people need me' argh! )

Yes, I saw that mama2three ... as long as the reason for being shut down is accepted.

My thinking is very similar Loocyloo
    Iā€™m not sure if there will be anyone else looking for places but I am happy to take them on if I can on an adhoc basis.
    Full fees for key workers children whether or not they attend. No fees for anyone else. Do you think thatā€™s fair? I need to earn but I donā€™t want to be seen as predatoryšŸ˜Ÿ

33. Likes loocyloo, Dragonfly liked this post

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast