Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default self isolating for a week with a cold?

so ....

it hasn't been said (yet) that it will be mandatory, but will you be turning children away with a slight cold or cough?
    Most of mine have had a runny nose and slight cough for most of the winter, and one has a permanent snotty nose all year round! I've had 3 ( out of 9 under 5's ) being prescribed a 'reliever' puffer since Christmas! My immune system is pretty strong, but i've had a couple of bugs that have knocked me for 6 this winter, typically over a weekend, so i've been able to rest/recover before working.

I'm very torn about what to do, as a couple of my parents are 'front line' and so without childcare, they can not work!

Will you be self isolating yourself?

I'm a strong believer in 'herd immunity', which then protects the weaker people who can't be vaccinated for one reason or the other, or are not strong enough to withstand a viral infection.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I dont see how lockdown self isolations on a major scake works.

Out of my families i have 2 parents who could work from home.

I have teachers, nurses, carers, hospital receptionists, worker in a major supermarket factory. All who will need to work.

I have decided to stop watching the news one of mine has a cold today with a chesty cough. But she's had since off and on and was prescribed the blue inhaler. I wouldnt have refused her last week so not going too this week
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

3. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I was talking about this last night after watching the news as I had a minor illness last week that didn't stop me from working but under the new rules they want to introduce I would have to self isolate for a week which does seem a bit extreme, also most of the children have runny noses this week which means they would all have to stay home. I think its going to be a tricky time over the next few weeks with things getting worse before they get better. My husband has diabetes so he is classed as vulnerable so we do have to be careful in our house but then I don't want to turn people away just because they have a cold.
    Pixie Dust

5. Likes loocyloo, Dragonfly liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie dust View Post
    I was talking about this last night after watching the news as I had a minor illness last week that didn't stop me from working but under the new rules they want to introduce I would have to self isolate for a week which does seem a bit extreme, also most of the children have runny noses this week which means they would all have to stay home. I think its going to be a tricky time over the next few weeks with things getting worse before they get better. My husband has diabetes so he is classed as vulnerable so we do have to be careful in our house but then I don't want to turn people away just because they have a cold.
    Exactly! X

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Coronavirus action plan: a guide to what you can expect across the UK - GOV.UK

been sent this by my LA ... getting daily updates !!!!

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of my children have had coughs and colds on and off since around October! It’s been a tough one . I won’t have any children if they say isolate with a cold! . My husbands a diabetic also so has to be careful.

9. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb

Talking to one of my dads this morning it seems that Poland who are still in double figures for cases are closing schools.

He asked when it would happen here. Personally i think they are trying to get through to Easter.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

11. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    . Personally i think they are trying to get through to Easter.
    I wonder if they'll wait till as close to Easter as possible. Depending how things go I could see schools shutting 2 weeks early. With the 2 weeks holiday that would give a 4 week closure. I can't see them wanting to close schools for a couple of weeks, then opening up again only to close again for Easter.

13. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was thinking they want to get as close to Easter as possible too.

Post Thanks / Like

my parents ALWAYS send their kids to me with coughs and colds. I usually just take them (whilst being silently annoyed!) because I figure its my job. But what do I do if they try in the next few weeks? I cant tell them not to send them and still charge. And i cant afford to be without pay! Whats the real danger of them coming? Who's really at risk?

16. Likes Dragonfly, loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    my parents ALWAYS send their kids to me with coughs and colds. I usually just take them (whilst being silently annoyed!) because I figure its my job. But what do I do if they try in the next few weeks? I cant tell them not to send them and still charge. And i cant afford to be without pay! Whats the real danger of them coming? Who's really at risk?
    Would it be worth doing a policy now so that you and parents are clear about what will happen if you have to close or if you need to exclude the child?

If I have to close because of me or someone in my household, I won't charge. If I am able to stay open, but have to exclude children for valid reasons (following guidelines), I will still charge. It's similar to any excludable illness when I still charge even when I've had to tell parents to keep their child away. I may consider half fees if I feel it's the right thing to do, but I won't tell parents that!

18. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Would it be worth doing a policy now so that you and parents are clear about what will happen if you have to close or if you need to exclude the child?

If I have to close because of me or someone in my household, I won't charge. If I am able to stay open, but have to exclude children for valid reasons (following guidelines), I will still charge. It's similar to any excludable illness when I still charge even when I've had to tell parents to keep their child away. I may consider half fees if I feel it's the right thing to do, but I won't tell parents that!
    that's an idea.

it would be useful if pacey or ???? published one, then we could give to parents without seeming to be the 'baddies' ourselves!

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I guess the problem is the advice is changing daily so a policy would be out of date.

Im sticking to my sickness policy but i will reconsider as and when it changes. If parents are only going to get ssp will they genuinely be able to afford full fees. I know they have said you can claim uc.........

I wonder how self isolations will work with medical staff

21. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Our local school have sent a letter home tonight saying that children are not to go to school if they show signs of cough or cold/fever and are to stay home until are well.
    Pixie Dust

23. Likes loocyloo, Dragonfly liked this post