Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is your TV fixed down?

So, when I had my inspection last week, the inspector said that my TV should be fixed down because of the tipping hazard. I totally get what she is saying but not sure how to do it. In our old place it was on the wall, so no problem at all. DH doesn't think the wall here will hold the TV and so he is reluctant to put it on the wall.

Any suggestions?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We have one TV on the wall and a smaller one on a higher unit, pushed right back. I've pulled at it, knocked the cupboard it's on etc, but there's no way it's moving. It's too high for the children to reach and is too small to be top heavy and likely to topple.

Could you use something like this to fix yours down? Anti-tip TV/Furniture Straps by Tootsy Boo, long VESA screws to fit latest TVs, money back guarantee if screws do not fit: Amazon.co.uk: Baby

3. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Ooooh, I like the look of those Mouse, thanks.

Love this forum.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

None of my tvs are fixed down 😂😂

The children are told not to touch.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

6. Likes Dragonfly, Maza, loocyloo, FloraDora liked this post
    Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine isn't fixed down and same as Fussy Elmo the children are told not to touch. If some can't be trusted or are too young they are not allowed in the room on their own.

8. Likes Dragonfly, loocyloo, FloraDora liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it's something I'd ever thought about until I saw a news report about a young child who had been killed when the television fell on him. It's something that's stuck with me so I'm more cautious about the possibility of it happening.

I teach children not to touch, but I think I'd be more concerned about them knocking into the stand and the TV toppling.

10. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think some TVs - and the stands/height of stands etc - are more vulnerable to being tipped/pulled over. The one we had when DD was a toddler didn't need fastening down but this one is different and I can see why the inspector brought it up to be honest.

12. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mine wasn’t tied down but the TV sits away back on the cupboard so if a child had been inclined to touch they would be stretching out of their reach and I would get there before they got to it, which, like others said was not a realistic scenario as the tv was definitely a do not touch lesson and no child ever did.
    However a friend had the same tv as me and a narrow cabinet and her grandchild whilst she was in the room and watching, nearly pulled the tv over...so they have a similar system that Mouse has signposted.

I think now she has said, whether you agree or not it might be better to do something, if a freak accident happened ....

I wonder about dusting underneath when you tie them down though? Even though it looks like there isn’t a gap when you move ours there is always dust...yes I have a thing about dust! ( and time now to obsess over it!).

14. Likes Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

hmmmm

cause for thought.

my tv is not fixed down, but is at the back of tallish unit. However, we rarely watch tv, and if we do, i am in the room with the children. I don't generally use the sitting room with minded children.

If i mention it to DH, it will be the final excuse he needs to buy some huge monstrosity that he wants to put on the wall !!!

16. Likes Maza liked this post