Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Help needed!

Help!

I look after a lovely just 1 yr old, and have done for past couple of months ... just one day a week ( and there is no room to add any extra days )

However ... child has always been cuddled to sleep! Child will crawl onto my lap, close their eyes and be asleep ... but! If I then move them they wake up and scream blue murder! So what I do is, the moment I see they are looking tired ... i pop them in the buggy to sleep ... sometimes i need to rock buggy for a while, sometimes i don't need to rock at all! Child has vague routine but i tend to aim for a snooze just after arrival and a snooze after lunch! Sometimes though ... child can protest for 30mins or more and then gets up to play as if they've had a great sleep, not 2 seconds! But seems tired alot of the time.

If we're out in car, child is out like a light, but can wake up ( and scream ) when stopped at traffic lights!!!
    Mum says she is trying not to let child sleep on her, but it's hard as she screams so much and grandma has child one day a week and definitely lets child sleep on her ...
    Which I totally understand, as it's lovely! Just not helpful for child ( or me! )

I've been doing lots of reading but I'm struggling to find something/ anything that I can print out to give to mum/grandma to explain that child needs to be able to self settle and get decent sleep! Plus advice on how to help child to self settle. I'm at a loss as I only see child one day, so nothing I'm doing is really getting anywhere and I'm guessing that mum isn't following through !

Anyway! Does anyone have any links or anything I can give mum? Thanks xxx
    It's hard because it effects the other children, which I've said to mum and she nods, but I don't think she quite gets it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    Help!

I look after a lovely just 1 yr old, and have done for past couple of months ... just one day a week ( and there is no room to add any extra days )

However ... child has always been cuddled to sleep! Child will crawl onto my lap, close their eyes and be asleep ... but! If I then move them they wake up and scream blue murder! So what I do is, the moment I see they are looking tired ... i pop them in the buggy to sleep ... sometimes i need to rock buggy for a while, sometimes i don't need to rock at all! Child has vague routine but i tend to aim for a snooze just after arrival and a snooze after lunch! Sometimes though ... child can protest for 30mins or more and then gets up to play as if they've had a great sleep, not 2 seconds! But seems tired alot of the time.

If we're out in car, child is out like a light, but can wake up ( and scream ) when stopped at traffic lights!!!
    Mum says she is trying not to let child sleep on her, but it's hard as she screams so much and grandma has child one day a week and definitely lets child sleep on her ...
    Which I totally understand, as it's lovely! Just not helpful for child ( or me! )

I've been doing lots of reading but I'm struggling to find something/ anything that I can print out to give to mum/grandma to explain that child needs to be able to self settle and get decent sleep! Plus advice on how to help child to self settle. I'm at a loss as I only see child one day, so nothing I'm doing is really getting anywhere and I'm guessing that mum isn't following through !

Anyway! Does anyone have any links or anything I can give mum? Thanks xxx
    It's hard because it effects the other children, which I've said to mum and she nods, but I don't think she quite gets it.
    Im afraid i cant offer any help but I had a 2 year old who refused to sleep here. She was only with me 6 hours but with no nap it was a looong 6 hours :-(

3. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Im afraid i cant offer any help but I had a 2 year old who refused to sleep here. She was only with me 6 hours but with no nap it was a looong 6 hours :-(
    i don't 'like' that the child didn't sleep with you, but 'like' that i'm not alone!

my little one finally crashed out in buggy after lunch, has stirred and fussed, but self settled back to sleep and has now had almost 90 mins! ... i'm feeling i'm on borrowed time

its such a shame, as i know that now, this afternoon, child will be an absolute delight! i just need to get them sleeping!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you find any literature to help mum?

It is sooooo hard when you don't have them for many days. I remember having sleep issues with one and I absolutely could not break his sleep 'routine' from home. Like you, it was affecting the other children. In the end, mum went back to work full time and I couldn't offer her a full time space so he went to nursery for the other three days. They managed to get him into a routine that worked for us all! Not sure how, I guess they were just so regimented that there was absolutely no room for flexibility so he had no choice, bless him. Obviously the fact that they had him for three days, compared to me having him for two and then parents having him for two days at the weekend meant that they were involved in the majority of his nap times too.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Maza; 01-11-2019 at 10:45 AM.

6. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Did you find any literature to help mum?

It is sooooo hard when you don't have them for many days. I remember having sleep issues with one and I absolutely could not break his sleep 'routine' from home. Like you, it was affecting the other children. In the end, mum went back to work full time and I couldn't offer her a full time space so he went to nursery for the other three days. They managed to get him into a routine that worked for us all! Not sure how, I guess they were just so regimented that there was absolutely no room for flexibility so he had no choice, bless him. Obviously the fact that they had him for three days, compared to me having him for two and then parents having him for two days at the weekend meant that they were involved in the majority of his nap times too.

Good luck.
    Thanks .... no, not found anything that is 'easy' to read and work from/with!

However .... mum has told me that she has now stopped breast feeding .... so hopefully, more of a routine will be introduced! but its just getting through to mum that LO needs to ( be able to ) be put down to go to sleep!

8. Likes Maza liked this post