Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Storage preference - garage or loft?

Ok, so, we now have both a loft and a garage - neither of which I have had before!

DH is freaking me out now by taking more and more boxes up to the loft. I popped my head up there and it looks gross. Cobweb heaven. But then the garage isn't much better.

What do keep in your loft and what do you keep in the garage if you have them?

Where do you keep your high chairs, pushchairs, travel cots and toys when not in use daily? I had a nice indoor cupboard for all these things in my old flat, but I don't have that anymore.

2. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Our loft only gets accessed once or twice a year. So definitely the garage for our storage of anything we need more often than twice a year!

4. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Pushchairs and highchairs in the garage, travel cot actually live down the side of my wardrobe and toys are wherever there is space! A few in the loft but I try to keep all toys in my playroom! ( just don't tell DH about the ones in my wardrobe! )

6. Likes Maza liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

My loft is boarded and got lights and ladder, use it a lot for storage, all covered of course. Childminding stuff is banded from garage by hubby, well it does take over doesn't it?

8. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When *****minded I worked 3 days so the other 4 were spent children accessory free from view. I had to be very creative in my storage.
    Garage, like Dragonfly was mainly DH domain, but kept push chair and car seat in there.
    Loft was boarded with a quick and easy ladder so it was almost like going up another set of stairs to a room...DH had a train set and model area up there) high chair and resources and toys for mainly indoor play, bathroom step etc...all up there. The living room under tv cabinet had all phonics resources ( once we stopped playing DVD’s) behind doors so not seen. The bureau was my personal and children’s craft cupboard, adapted by DH to store art equipment behind doors so not seen, the bottom half was small world resources in lots of baskets on narrow shelves, easy access for children, the most played with resources, again behind closed doors in the dining room, it sat nicely with my dresser so didn’t look like children’s storage.
    We had a dedicated small cupboard in kitchen, useless for real kitchen stuff but great for LO’s cooking equipment and their plates and cups etc..
    Everything for outdoor play specifically was stored in boxes / cupboard in our garden room/big shed, children’s gardening equipment in a small plastic greenhouse kept in an ally at the side of house.
    My collection of children’s books has been a lifetime hobby so they were ( and still are) kept with our other books on floor to ceiling shelves in our den.
    Musical instruments and anything music related was in our small spare bedroom which we grandly always called the music room, it had a piano, drums and all my son’s instruments in there anyway and the boy’s loved, when they came home for visits the range of percussion instruments that were added when *****minded, the children had full access to this room and it housed a full size wooden cot for an afternoon nap, this was stored invisibly behind the piano when not in use. DH put it up just for the day we needed it.
    The understairs cupboard had an Ikea tray unit for water play and science stuff.
    So, really everything was whittled away around the house, but all in areas the children could access so not too much putting away and taking out.
    I don’t know how I did it, in our move all these items came with us and now almost fill a large dry barn ( except the books and musical instruments ) and my own things are now in the cupboards.
    I think I might have a bit of Mary Poppins in me!
    Once settled Maza I would recommend tackling the loft, it is such a useful storage area, I carpeted our old one with ex living room carpet so it was easy to run the hoover round up there and kept spiders at bay. The key is in the type of access you create to it.
    Happy unboxing.

10. Likes Maza, Dragonfly liked this post