Coughs and colds and illness policies
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Coughs and colds and illness policies

This week and last i have had children arrive who clearly really need to be at home (in my opinion!). However I state that I only send children home if their temperature goes over 38 degrees. Well this can be late on in the day or even never at all but in the meantime everyones caught what the child has turned up with. I was ill last weekend and now looking to be coming down with something again. I find i can turn children away at the door and feel i can only contact parents if child is desperately ill. What do you all do in this situation?

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We are not medics so I would not go by a temperature reading to decide. I go with 'are they well enough to join in with the activities'. If not, they go home. I discuss this right from when the family first sees me- baby is best off with parent if they are not right. I do not store paracetamol so will not dose-up on request. If the child is that ill parent or emergency contact needs to come.
    Nurseries send them home at the slightest thing. CMers are sometimes seen as a softer option for keeping hold of ill children- we need to stay firm and protect ourselves and our families (and do what's best for the poor child who is unwell and needs mum/dad).

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm like Moggy ... if child is not able to cope with a usual day then they are not to attend.

I don't have a thermometre, so if child feels hot/ appears unwell I will ring parents for collection. Each child does have a couple of sachets of infant paracetamol, which I ask parents if I can give, whilst they are on their way.

Neither do I 'dose' with paracetamol during the day. The only exception is teething if really needed!

However ... it is the time of year for all the coughs and colds to appear! I make sure we all eat lots of fresh veggies and fruit, and get enough sleep!!! Several minder friends have a flu jab .. I am considering it!

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Im the same if they cant cope with the day. However i have no qualms about snuggling a child down if they have a cold. I find their friends and the fun they are having makes them perk.

I will give a child calpol if required. I remember talking to a doctor about not liking to give it and he said we take paracetamol if we feel unwell. However if a child needs it to function throughout the day then they should be at home.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

5. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

We have had no end of coughs and colds here the last three weeks it’s driving me nuts.Doesnt matter how much I’m washing and disinfecting they keep coming with it and passing it around ( air borne) I go out as much as I can with children with coughs lol.

7. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post