Childminding changes
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  17
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Childminding changes

How long have you been childminding and what changes have you made in the way you do things during this time? I'm always reviewing how I do things (in my head!) to make things run smoothly and give the parents a better service but to make things work for me too so it got me wondering what changes others have made.

Registered Childminder since
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Approximately 24 years. I registered when childminding was run by social services. Obviously lots has changed since them days, most apparent being the EYFS and requirements you have to have. I am always updating in my head and sometime manage to write it all down! I have a good relationship with all my parents and am always open to suggestions.Having said that as long as the children are safe, well looked after and happy the parents are.

Oh, one thing that has changed over the years is my house has become a mini nursery which it never used to. I think the home from home has gone a bit with all child minders nowadays.I think that is such a shame even though the children still benefit I think from being in a smaller more relaxed setting.After all what childminders are left ( very few in this area) are excellent carers 😀

3. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have made it easier for me over the years- stopped doing dinners, earlier finish, later start.

5. Likes Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    I have made it easier for me over the years- stopped doing dinners, earlier finish, later start.
    haha thanks moggy yes, im working towards this (whilst still wanting to be profitable.viable etc!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Approximately 24 years. I registered when childminding was run by social services. Obviously lots has changed since them days, most apparent being the EYFS and requirements you have to have. I am always updating in my head and sometime manage to write it all down! I have a good relationship with all my parents and am always open to suggestions.Having said that as long as the children are safe, well looked after and happy the parents are.

Oh, one thing that has changed over the years is my house has become a mini nursery which it never used to. I think the home from home has gone a bit with all child minders nowadays.I think that is such a shame even though the children still benefit I think from being in a smaller more relaxed setting.After all what childminders are left ( very few in this area) are excellent carers 😀
    Love this. Yes i find even parents wanting childminders when they first start seeking childcare suddenly get drawn in to the lure or nursery life - they seem to forget the reasons they chose a childminder in the first place and why they decided against nursery.

Amazing youve been going 24 years, thats a brilliant achievement!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've been minding for 16 years and started just as Ofsted took over, but even then, since the introduction of EYFS and it's various incarnations I agree... my home is much more like a nursery ( all be it for few children ) than it ever used to be.
    I get on well with all my parents, with the majority of children seeming to me to never leave! Must be doing something right!

I do find it stressful thinking that Ofsted could just turn up at any point and I'd like less written paperwork ( but whilst it's in my head, I know I'd go to pot if asked, so need it all written down as proof !) I've always known where my children are developmentally anyway ... result of 30 years plus spent in early years! ... but I feel it is all too pressured these days. X

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Almost 14 years here. Home also looks more like a nursery that I’d like. Major change for me is my attitude. I love the job and put my heart into it but, honestly, if it’s not enough ..... there’s the door. I’ve learnt the hard way with putting some families first and bending over backwards for them to take and want and expect a little more without a backwards look or a thank you.
    So. Now. It’s about me, my mental health, my happiness and my family requirements. And I’ve learnt to say ‘no’. And I’d like to think I get more respect for it.

10. Likes loocyloo, Dragonfly, Maza, Pixie dust liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

It is so much more pressured nowadays hence why so many childminders are giving up.

12. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

25 years and I love what I do more than ever!

Re-focusing this year - a new staff member, some new children and a new focus on children having fun!

I want to help colleagues more too - I have lots of writing ideas and I am going to get more involved in campaigning to try and retain more childminders.

I'm feeling very positive about the future

14. Likes Maza liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Do you think we as a profession are our own worse enemies?

I see childminders jumping on a piece of paperwork as if their life depended on it. Did ofsted request the paperwork or did they get accustomed to childmindrrs going the extra mile they started to expect it.

I recently decorated my hall and stairs and i had a cm tell me it was very grown up where would the children bit be. She was horrified when i said there wouldnt be one and actually said what would ofsted say.

Hopefully with the way inspections are going we can return to just knowing our children and not thinking we need a copy of war and peace of paperwork.

I genuinely believe work to the way that makes you happy and not make you feel pressured.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

16. Likes loocyloo, Dragonfly, Maza liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck in trying to retain Childminders Sarah.though I don’t think more people are going to become childminders and I think after Septembers new EYFs changes come in I think more will leave.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    25 years and I love what I do more than ever!

Re-focusing this year - a new staff member, some new children and a new focus on children having fun!

I want to help colleagues more too - I have lots of writing ideas and I am going to get more involved in campaigning to try and retain more childminders.

I'm feeling very positive about the future
    I dont know why but i thought you left childminding to start an out of school care club. Or do you do both?

You do amazing work on behalf of us all so thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck in trying to retain Childminders Sarah.though I don’t think more people are going to become childminders and I think after Septembers new EYFs changes come in I think more will leave.
    I think that if a childminder is generally feeling fed up (funding, no acknowledgment, family growing up etc) then when they make big changes it just speeds up the process of them leaving.

20. Likes Dragonfly, Maza liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I don’t think there is any encouragement to be a childminder nowadays ( I started back in social services days)And yes I agree if you feel a bit fed up etc and big changes come in its easier to give up and go and work at waitrose for example. Some days working in Poundland looks good if I’m having a bad day!

If I was starting out again and someone said what about being a Childminder I would probably say no thank you.

Since I started there is only 2 out of 11 still going in my area.

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought Sarah was doing an after school club also and had stopped minding.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Another thing I do/did is find some inspirational childminding blogs/Instagram pages to follow. Not blogs of parents who have the luxury of being a stay at home mum with a high earning husband so that they can spend loads on resources and make their blogs and lives look fantastic, but real childminders, so to speak.

I'd be interested to know if there are any blogs anyone else would recommend. I'll try and remember what mine are actually called.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Another thing I do/did is find some inspirational childminding blogs/Instagram pages to follow. Not blogs of parents who have the luxury of being a stay at home mum with a high earning husband so that they can spend loads on resources and make their blogs and lives look fantastic, but real childminders, so to speak.

I'd be interested to know if there are any blogs anyone else would recommend. I'll try and remember what mine are actually called.
    I used to follow some plus a couple of mum's who seemed 'real' but either I lost their details or they stopped as your post reminded me I haven't heard anything for a looonnnggg time.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Ooops, I think I replied to the wrong post, lol. I meant it to be a reply to mumofone's post about losing inspiration!

I've really gone off some of the mum blogs. They totally have a different 'feel' to them now that they are making a business out of it. Lots of links to things on amazon etc. I often feel that some posts have been created, or re-posted form years ago just because they can link things to amazon.

I like 'kerrischildminding' on Instagram.
    Last edited by Maza; 29-07-2019 at 06:14 PM.

26. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Ooops, I think I replied to the wrong post, lol. I meant it to be a reply to mumofone's post about losing inspiration!

I've got all the different threads muddled in my mind anyway!

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Kerrischildminding on instagram has amazing resources

29. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast