Going out -what to do in this situation?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Going out -what to do in this situation?

On days where I have two babies to look after one naps in the morning (2 hours) and one after lunch (2 hours). Factor in 2 school runs and I dont actually have time to take them out. Is this just one issue of being a CM? Am i missing something? I like them to sleep at home in a cot and have all meals and snacks at home but that never gives us a "chunk" of time to actually get out and play. What do you all do?

Registered Childminder since
    Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

We had this last year as we had 4 one year olds who all slept at different times. It was tough and we longed to get out but as you say school/play schools runs also in the mix made it impossible. Not too bad in the summer and that's when they all started but winter was hard. So this year we are free! We can get out and about once again. Think it is just a downside of this job.

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes this happens a lot but it passes as the babies get a little older. I try to get my toddlers to all nap together as soon as I can. I explain this to parents as the toddlers benefit from getting outdoors in the mornings. Until that stage I stay indoors as I know the stage passes. Maybe extend the school run by 10 mins to include a little wander in a park?

4. Likes Dragonfly, loocyloo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks both, its not something that bothers me personally but i do feel very guilty passing them back to parents when they havent been out so i always wonder what parents must think.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest we don't go out that much during the week, we attend one group on a Monday morning and then we go to the local stay and play children's centre group which is just an hour on a Thursday (how much longer that will run with all the cuts is another story) thats it sometimes we meet up with another childminder but thats not on a regular weekly basis, my parents don't expect me to go out everyday and I do tell them that when they visit.
    Pixie Dust

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd at least get out in the garden everyday, wrapped up warm. Can't one nap in a buggy while out?

8. Likes SYLVIA liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I had this - but it was one baby who had two naps a day. I hated it to be honest. It would have been fine if it was just me and him - I could have got tons of stuff done, but I felt really bad for my daughter as we couldn't get out much. With hindsight I needn't have worried (because I only had him three days a week). As others said - it is a phase and he eventually just needed the one nap. I used to try and get him to sleep in the buggy for one of his naps so that at least we could go to the park or the woods and then let him have a good sleep in the cot at home for his other nap. However, mum proudly told me that he was a gina ford baby and that blackout blinds and a quiet room were all he needed to drop off. True - but that was the ONLY way he could drop off. He could not sleep in his buggy. He would get overtired and just scream and thrash about in the buggy and so being out with him like that was awful. We couldn't have a nice chat, the ducks would get scared and fly away when we were trying to feed them and I just felt paranoid. We would head home with me more miserable than if we had stayed at home.

Just try and have quality shorter sessions in the garden for their fresh air - you don't have to go anywhere. Or maybe once a week have one baby sleep in the pushchair - then at least they are getting the majority of their naps in the cot at home. So maybe go to the library one morning while the morning napper sleeps in the pushchair and then the library one afternoon.

I think as long the parents see that they are getting a variety of experiences with you then they won't be too fussed about them 'going out'.

Or, if parents are willing, you could put the morning napper down gradually later and later until he/she needs an afternoon nap too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    I'd at least get out in the garden everyday, wrapped up warm. Can't one nap in a buggy while out?
    Thanks moggy, i think we will have to make going out in the garden first on the agenda before i put the first one down for a nap. That would work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    I had this - but it was one baby who had two naps a day. I hated it to be honest. It would have been fine if it was just me and him - I could have got tons of stuff done, but I felt really bad for my daughter as we couldn't get out much. With hindsight I needn't have worried (because I only had him three days a week). As others said - it is a phase and he eventually just needed the one nap. I used to try and get him to sleep in the buggy for one of his naps so that at least we could go to the park or the woods and then let him have a good sleep in the cot at home for his other nap. However, mum proudly told me that he was a gina ford baby and that blackout blinds and a quiet room were all he needed to drop off. True - but that was the ONLY way he could drop off. He could not sleep in his buggy. He would get overtired and just scream and thrash about in the buggy and so being out with him like that was awful. We couldn't have a nice chat, the ducks would get scared and fly away when we were trying to feed them and I just felt paranoid. We would head home with me more miserable than if we had stayed at home.

Just try and have quality shorter sessions in the garden for their fresh air - you don't have to go anywhere. Or maybe once a week have one baby sleep in the pushchair - then at least they are getting the majority of their naps in the cot at home. So maybe go to the library one morning while the morning napper sleeps in the pushchair and then the library one afternoon.

I think as long the parents see that they are getting a variety of experiences with you then they won't be too fussed about them 'going out'.

Or, if parents are willing, you could put the morning napper down gradually later and later until he/she needs an afternoon nap too.

Thanks Maza, yes i hope parents see the "whole picture" rather than individual days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie dust View Post
    To be honest we don't go out that much during the week, we attend one group on a Monday morning and then we go to the local stay and play children's centre group which is just an hour on a Thursday (how much longer that will run with all the cuts is another story) thats it sometimes we meet up with another childminder but thats not on a regular weekly basis, my parents don't expect me to go out everyday and I do tell them that when they visit.
    Thank you x

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BallyH View Post
    Yes this happens a lot but it passes as the babies get a little older. I try to get my toddlers to all nap together as soon as I can. I explain this to parents as the toddlers benefit from getting outdoors in the mornings. Until that stage I stay indoors as I know the stage passes. Maybe extend the school run by 10 mins to include a little wander in a park?
    Thanks BallyH, yes I think i just need to get out first thing as the rest of the day is taken up with stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris goodyear View Post
    We had this last year as we had 4 one year olds who all slept at different times. It was tough and we longed to get out but as you say school/play schools runs also in the mix made it impossible. Not too bad in the summer and that's when they all started but winter was hard. So this year we are free! We can get out and about once again. Think it is just a downside of this job.
    Thanks Chris, sometimes its easy to forget that we all experience this. Because we are isolated as a profession I often end up questionning what i'm doing!