Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Glitter

Registered Childminder since
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Glitter

A post on the independent childminder fb group has got me thinking.

Do you still use it? Or has the fact its really harmful to the environment made you stop.

I havent used it for a few years but still im hoovering it from my stairs - how is this even possible.

How agreeable to a parents wishes not to use glitter on their child's crafts would you be?
    Last edited by FussyElmo; 13-12-2018 at 12:51 PM.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

This is such a tough one for me. I love glitter, but know it is bad for the environment. It's like an addiction. I know I should stop using it, but I keep getting drawn back in by the sparkle. A life without glitter just seems so dull.

I haven't bought any new glitter for a while, but then I have so much I probably don't need to buy any for years. I'm hoping by then there'll be a cheaper, eco-friendly version for sale.

I read an interesting article that said the pressure to stop using glitter should be put on manufacturers rather than consumers. It did make me think about the number of things I buy with glitter in or on - cosmetics, toiletries, greeting cards, wrapping paper, clothes, decorations etc. I even noticed it on some plants and flowers in the supermarket, which even I think is unnecessary. I know when I buy cards I'm always drawn to the glittery ones, but I wouldn't miss them if they weren't there. I buy them because they're available, so maybe the manufacturers should be doing more to help us addicts avoid the temptation

3. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm the same!

I love glitter and although i haven't bought any for the past couple of years, I've still got loads!

Things do seem extra sparkly with glitter! I only use it at christmas and do try not to buy stuff with it on such as clothes, packaging etc. I don't like glittered plants.
    Oh, just remembered that we do love glitter playdough!

DD has glitter body and hairspray for dance competitions, and one costume has a very glittery tutu.

If a parent didn't want their child using glitter then i would probably not use it with them, but if other children asked, then i don't know! I've recently explained to a few parents ( at a christmas fair !) why we weren't selling reindeer food and that the glitter was bad for animals.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So I usually am environmental friendly, but the toddler group I volunteer at has tons of glitter...and if we didn’t use it what would we do with it all? My thinking is that we use it up and when it’s gone - no more. The LO’s might as well have fun with it than throw it all away in one big swoop.
    Is there a safe way to dispose of it?

6. Likes Pixie dust, loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    Is there a safe way to dispose of it?
    This is partly why I'm torn about using glitter. With the amount of glue we use, I don't think we actually lose that much of it! Any that doesn't stick gets tipped back into the pot. I never put any down the sink or in the bin. It's not as if we're randomly disposing of tonnes of it.

This year the children have used glitter on cards and decorations and we've had very little wastage (a small amount in the hoover). I know parents may well throw the creations away at some point, but they will presumably end up in landfill, not in the oceans (or perhaps I'm showing my ignorance there). When I picture huge landfill dumps I can't see that our few glittery cards are going to be the worst things there.

We've made reindeer food this year by mixing together different sorts of bird seeds. I explained that we didn't put glitter in ours like some people do as it wasn't safe for animals to eat. One 4 year old said 'why do people put glitter in it? Reindeers don't eat glitter?' He had a point really - if the food is to 'feed the reindeer' whoever came up with the idea of adding glitter to it?

8. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am more aware now of the impact on the environment so I don't use it as much as I did and when my current stock is all used up I will look for an eco friendly version which will be a while yet as my tub seems to be lasting forever! We all need a bit of sparkle in our life
    Pixie Dust

10. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Really dislike glitter. so glad Waitrose is the first shop to stop selling cards with it on (I believe) messy awful stuff that goes everywhere yuck!

12. Likes Bumble Beez liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Really dislike glitter. so glad Waitrose is the first shop to stop selling cards with it on (I believe) messy awful stuff that goes everywhere yuck!
    I didn't know that about Waitrose!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Much as I dislike glitter, I think these petty bans are pointless. People kid themselves they’re going to "save the planet" by such futile acts of pure tokenism, and I don’t intend to indulge them nor encourage children to do the same. It’s nothing more than attention seeking.

Nobody is going to protect the environment without a complete change of lifestyle and economics. The entire system depends on overproduction and waste. So-called 'green alternatives' are the equivalent of baling water out of the Titanic with a thimble.

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Ooooh I didn't know this! Awesome
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

Post Thanks / Like

Same as FloraDora, i will use up what I have (as much as i hate it!) and then not replace it. This could well take me 5 years anyway!

Have to agree with Bunyip though.

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I dislike the stuff so much have only ever used it if it was in glue. If I had any I wouldn’t get it out the drawer or I’d give it to a charity shop