Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A&E admission of mindee help please

Hello everyone,

I am after some advice please, last week my 14 month mindee was delivered to me in the morning 7.30, once parent left it became clear that the little one was not well, very weezy, coughing, and generally snuffling quite badly when breathing. I called the parent at 8.30am 60 minutes after arrival and said I was concerned, little ones weezing and breathing was concerning me, and I didn't think shes well enough to be here. Parent said she would contact the other parent and arrange a collection. I said I was taking my own child for his DR appointment at 9.15am. while in the waiting room i received a text at 9.18am to say that a parent will collect her and take her to a Dr appointment. I took my child and Mindee into see my GP, and after my child's consultation the DR asked what was wrong with mindee, I said i was aware she was feeling poorly and a parent was on the way to collect her. She asked to take a look at her as she was concerned about her weezing, upon examining mindee she said she needed to be put on a nuebulizer, she called the a&e department for children at the hospital with the details and told me to take her straight there, and get the parent to meet me there rather than wait for them to get to me. I called the parent from the dr office, and said we were going to A&E, and meet me there. I left straight away and met the parent outside A&E 25 minutes later. I went in with him encase they needed details from me, then once they were booked in I left. The child remained on a ward until the following afternoon to receive a drip, and several doses on a nebuliser. It transpires she just had a bad reaction to a cold/virus, that made her breathing difficult, and needed help from meds to clear the airways. She has been sent away with some medication, inhaler and facemask, as the hospital said its likely she may get this again if she gets another cold virus.

Now I am unsure what I need to do, should i report this to Ofsted? I didn't realise she needed meds for her breathing, im not a medic, but now im worried I have done something wrong and should have noticed!

Please help, what would you do?

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Read EYFS, Section 3, Accident or Injury, paragraph 3.51- reporting 'serious...illness'. That sounds serious to me as they needed a stay in hospital. So just write up a factual report, keep it brief and to the point and submit to Ofsted. You did all the right things- you notice she was unwell and arranged parent to collect, you followed a GPs advise- well done, you did brilliantly. You might also ask parent to write a short statement from their point of view (or ask parent to sign your statement to say they agree).

3. Likes loocyloo, Dragonfly liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd also phone your insurance company and just ask if they want to record it and ask for their procedure to do that.

5. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    Read EYFS, Section 3, Accident or Injury, paragraph 3.51- reporting 'serious...illness'. That sounds serious to me as they needed a stay in hospital. So just write up a factual report, keep it brief and to the point and submit to Ofsted. You did all the right things- you notice she was unwell and arranged parent to collect, you followed a GPs advise- well done, you did brilliantly. You might also ask parent to write a short statement from their point of view (or ask parent to sign your statement to say they agree).

Thank you so much for your advice Moggy, I will do this tomorrow, and speak with my insurance too. I have got myself in such a tizz over this, I am visualising all sorts of scenarios, inspections and questions to ensure i didn't do anything wrong, Im in a proper stress over it

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emmas View Post
    Thank you so much for your advice Moggy, I will do this tomorrow, and speak with my insurance too. I have got myself in such a tizz over this, I am visualising all sorts of scenarios, inspections and questions to ensure i didn't do anything wrong, Im in a proper stress over it
    What could you have done differently? You did just the right thing. Just get it down on paper- completely factual. I doubt Ofsted will be interested at all, it is just a procedure. If you think you could have done things differently then add that to your own self-development diary or however you record your CPD. But I think you did great.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you did really well too. x

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks very much for the support. I have logged the event with Ofsted and been given a reference number. I have written a report, got the parents to add their own notes and then sign it. I have also put in place a care plan should mindee get a cold in the future. Mindee has been issued with an inhaler and mask, just as a precaution should she wheeze again with a future cold. I have asked the parents to get the meds for me with the pharmancy label attached, and written/printed notes from the hospital on how to administer, Mum is also going to train me in how to do it, never had to do this before, I think I have all bases covered. I have also got an ongoing mediation form put in her file, should I need to issue any medication. ? Im guessing if i do all of this, i am doing the correct thing.

Thanks so much

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emmas View Post
    Thanks very much for the support. I have logged the event with Ofsted and been given a reference number. I have written a report, got the parents to add their own notes and then sign it. I have also put in place a care plan should mindee get a cold in the future. Mindee has been issued with an inhaler and mask, just as a precaution should she wheeze again with a future cold. I have asked the parents to get the meds for me with the pharmancy label attached, and written/printed notes from the hospital on how to administer, Mum is also going to train me in how to do it, never had to do this before, I think I have all bases covered. I have also got an ongoing mediation form put in her file, should I need to issue any medication. ? Im guessing if i do all of this, i am doing the correct thing.

Thanks so much
    That all sounds good. I'd emphasis to mum that if LO is at all wheezy, or if you/mum is in any doubt at drop off time, she needs to stay home.

11. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done, you did the right thing.

Next time you do your paediatric first aid, take the inhaler and mask along. Ask the trainer to do a refresher on how to use it, and ask them to make a note on the back of your certificate to say your device-specific training has been checked and updated.

13. Likes Dragonfly liked this post