I’ve been a childminder for a year now, and work with a family. When we signed the contract we said we’d both get 4 weeks annual holiday April to April and it would be half price. However I’ve taken 6 days in the whole year. She’s taken almost 2 months, I told her that as she had taken her 4 weeks already she would have to pay full price now, as agreed to in our contract, however upon regarding our contract I noticed that she’d not signed any of those parts and had deliberately ignored any parts that weren’t beneficial to her. Meaning our contract is incomplete. They demand more than I can give, and expect me and the other kids I look after to follow their child’s routine. Meaning that we can do anything unless they approve. I’ve spoken to them before about this and they don’t seem to change. For Christmas this year they paid me £300 and when I asked how they got to that number they said they’d taken out all of my annual holiday, even though we discussed they would have to pay the full wage.

I know some people are going to go “how can you charge them a whole wage” and I totally get where you’re coming from but even when I said pay half, they chose to cut out a massive chunk. I can’t survive on the money and I personally think it’s unfair that I’ve only taken 6 days this year and they’ve taken the equivalent of two months and I have to suffer.

I cant ask for days off without being guilt tripped, I can’t say your child is unwell pick them up without being made to feel like it’s a burden and I don’t think it’s fair other kids have to suffer or not go anywhere until the little girl approves

I’m overly stressed and I’ve started to grind my teeth.

So my questions are:

1. Am I being dramatic
2. Would you agree or disagree to giving 4 weeks notice
3. How would you word the notice period
4. Am I wrong for being upset about the wage