Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you have a greenhouse?

As we were browsing rightmove for new houses, we came across one with a greenhouse in the garden. We're not ready to buy or anything, but it did get me thinking...

I would love a greenhouse. We had one as a child - it was a right rickety old thing, totally unsafe, but hey, that was the 70s for you. Also, it's different when you have a childminding business vs your own family.

So, I know lots of you are keen gardeners and have greenhouses. Do the benefits massively outweigh the negatives? Are there any negatives at all? We love to play ball in our garden - crazy catch has been our favourite garden toy for a few years now. Would we be mad to have a greenhouse?

I still remember the complete sensory experience whenever I went into our greenhouse as a child - the heat, the smell of the tomatoes, having to slow down and be gentle, I remember it as if it was yesterday.

2. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a green house ...

it's about 40+, probably 50 years old and is a metal frame with glass & plastic panels. As the glass falls out, we are replacing with plastic! It has a very old grapevine growing inside, that is probably what holds it together! I grow tomatoes in it, and sometimes put the seedlings out there. In the winter i store my guinea pig run in it, and thinking about it, i could put some of the outdoor toys in there too It is in the corner of the garden, surrounded by big bushes, and the minded children do not go near it or in it, unless with me. I love taking them in there to help water the tomatoes or pick them, and to look at/pick grapes. ( gorgeous, but full of pips! so not brilliant for small children ! ) I'm not really a gardener though, so don't use it to its full potential - if i did, or used it ona regular basis with minded children, i would have had all the glass replaced.

In the 7 years we've lived here, only once has a ball managed to break a pane of glass, and that was a nephew, not a minded child!

4. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I miss my greenhouse!
    I did have one, whilst I was childminding. A green metal one which we put polycarbonate sheeting in from day one, not glass.
    I left it behind and I hear the family that bought our house is enjoying it, which is good.
    A greenhouse saves you lots of money if you garden, particularly if you move in to a house with it already there.
    I started all my bedding plants and most veg off from seed- the LO’s helped. I had a low bench just for them to work at, it was great to be able to plant seeds with them in the greenhouse , out of the rain, listening to it patter on the plastic roof.
    I over wintered the geraniums, pelargoniums and fuchsia’s in it which saved spending every year.
    Like Loocyloo the summer brought tomatoes, grown from seed, cucumbers, peppers, aubergines, strawberries and salad...again saving and lots of easy watering and caring to do by the children, they got really excited about greenhouse mornings.

Ours was positioned in the corner of the garden, but with room to get all round it to maintain the fence behind...the LO’s loved this, a secret path and because it was polycarbonate not glass it was safe and I could see through or look over, so I knew what they were up to, but they thought they were in a secret place.
    We grew raspberries up one side so this was protected from the elements a balls.

I don’t yet have one here, I bought a pop up one to grow my tomatoes in and start a few seeds off when I first arrived, but it is light and tricky to secure , the wind that blows down the hills keeps blowing it over. I’ve tied it to a fence in a new spot but if it goes over again then my over wintering plants are in danger of being cold this year....or do I buy a new greenhouse?

6. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks both - I'm actually craving a greenhouse now! You've sold it to me.

Loocyloo - I love your lightbulb moment emoji!

8. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Thanks both - I'm actually craving a greenhouse now! You've sold it to me.

Loocyloo - I love your lightbulb moment emoji!
    it's in the emoji at the side of the text box i don't have cause to use it very often !!!!

10. Likes Maza liked this post