Whats the quickest parent visit you have had?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Whats the quickest parent visit you have had?

I had a parent visit this morning 17 minutes. Coming back Thursday to sign paperwork and starts next week.

I feel the telephone call my fb page and childcare.co.uk profile can really help parents get to know you before a visit.

Also do you know instantly whether or not you can work with a parent.

I also know my flexibility on hours/days have been a bonus.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

2. Likes Maza liked this post
    Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    I had a parent visit this morning 17 minutes. Coming back Thursday to sign paperwork and starts next week.

I feel the telephone call my fb page and childcare.co.uk profile can really help parents get to know you before a visit.

Also do you know instantly whether or not you can work with a parent.

I also know my flexibility on hours/days have been a bonus.

I had similar last week, phone call one evening, visit the next day and confirmed before they left. It does happen, not often but it does!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quickest - probably about an hour...

Slowest - a parent who made herself at home and wouldn't go

It takes all sorts!!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My quickest lasted about twenty minutes. She breezed in like she owned the place, investigated the house and asked questions. Didn’t pay much regard to the questions I asked her, which is where she went wrong. She phoned later to say she’d take the place, which gave me the opportunity to say I had not, and would not be offering her a place.

6. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

How did she take that Bunyip and how did you word it? I know it works both ways but I find it very hard to tell a parent I don't want to work with them even if I really don't! I had one where I didn't feel at all comfortable with the parent and the little boy was horrendous!! They left and I thought no way. then parent phoned about 3 days later saying can they start and I'm afraid I lied and said the place had gone to a (non existent) enquiry I had previously, couldn't think of anything else and if parent had asked on the day of the visit face to face I probably would have taken the child and deeply regretted it

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don’t recall precisely what I said on that occasion.

Generally when I turn down a family I just say I’ve weighed everything up and decided I’m not in a position to offer a place. I’m very matter of fact about it. If you start apologising about it, then people will believe you’re at fault, which you aren’t.

I don’t entirely agree with Disraeli's "never complain and never explain" but there are situations where it’s a useful maxim. Some parents might say they want an explanation, but I suspect they'd want it a whole lot less if I ever gave them the unvarnished truth of what I think about them.

It’s certainly worth approaching from the point of view that the parent is applying for a place, rather than going shopping for childcare, and it empowers you, the CM, to believe you have some say in the matter.

9. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks I'll try and keep that in mind for the future

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a family here for half an hour last week. After about 10 minutes they said they definitely wanted their child to come here, but we still chatted for a while and I told them to go away and think about it, just so they were sure.
    We completed paperwork the next day and their child started with me yesterday

12. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Quickest - probably about an hour...

Slowest - a parent who made herself at home and wouldn't go

It takes all sorts!!
    Lol!!!! Yes, i've had some that get a bit TOO comfy!!!!