Incident today - do I have to notify Ofsted?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jun 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Incident today - do I have to notify Ofsted?

Need some advice. An incident happened today in our setting - a complete accident that could not have been foreseen. A child could have been seriously hurt. Could have been but wasn’t (thankfully) and we are putting immediate measures in place to ensure it never happens again. Are we supposed to notify Ofsted?

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Notification of Early Years Provision Incident

This is the form and it does not mention 'near misses'. No one was hurt, I assume? So I'd document as you have done and pour yourself a glass of wine. Take care x

Jun 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks moggy, you’ve put my mind at rest a bit. I guess we could still be investigated if someone reports the incident but we have already put measures in place. It is so scary how in 2 seconds your livelihood can be on the line. And how little ones can be at risk no matter how hard you try!

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fitrix View Post
    Thanks moggy, you’ve put my mind at rest a bit. I guess we could still be investigated if someone reports the incident but we have already put measures in place. It is so scary how in 2 seconds your livelihood can be on the line. And how little ones can be at risk no matter how hard you try!
    It is hard to advise without knowing what happened. If there is a chance someone may make a complaint against you because of this 'near miss' then you may want to send your record of events to Ofsted and contact your insurer, or get advise if you are with Pacey. If there were witnesses who may make an allegation then you do need to consider this. Look at your 'incident' policy.

Jun 06
    Post Thanks / Like

I don’t think anyone will make a complaint. If they do we will follow correct procedures. Thanks moggy. We are confident we have handled situation correctly and there is now no chance of it happening again. We have been honest with parents of children involved and they were all very understanding. It’s been a helluva week - had Ofsted inspection on Tuesday! I’m about to write up details about it on the Ofsted tips thread.