Sending letter detailing reduction in hours?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Non childminder member
    Nanny
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sending letter detailing reduction in hours?

Hi,

I'm just after some advice in terms of what to include and wording. I've decided on reducing my hours come January 2019 to 3 days per week (from 5). This is because both me and my husband are approaching retirement age and have the luxury of taking some days off together, before we retire completely. I wanted to send a letter out to my parents now detailing this change so that it doesn't come as a shock and they have as much time as possible to work out provision (whether they stay with me or unfortunately have to leave).

I want the letter to be friendly, and obviously I want the children to remain with me (and most I think will be able to) without them thinking they can talk me around to doing more days/hours (even half day).

This is the sort of plan I had, but please give me some advice if you have any!
    • Wish them a good easter
    • Explain advanced warning of change in hours (including date it will sart and the days I will do)
    • Explain happy to rearrange and be flexible, but understand they may need to leave
    • Explain why I am reducing my hours
    • End with: "I am free, as always, should you wish to discuss this with me."

I don't know if there's other things I should be putting in, or even just a general chat at the start thanking them for being with me etc.

What do you think?

TIA.

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

You could add some of the usual courtesies like "thank you for your continued custom" as it seems to be expected these days, but all that gushing flummery does nothing for me personally. If it were me, I would just stick to the point.

It sounds like a pretty straightforward letter, and your outline plan looks ok for the most part, but I question one aspect. You don’t want "....them thinking they can talk me around to doing more days/hours....." but a lot of parents will see the word "flexible" and discussing it with you as an open invitation to do just that.

You don’t necessarily need to write that your decision is final, but do be aware that some may still try to talk you around in spite of the letter.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, be clear- flexible means stretching the hours/days you are willing to work to suit families. If you are willing to do that you are flexible.
    If you are not willing to do that then you are not flexible- you are changing your opening times. full stop.
    Be strong and go with what you really want.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Giving plenty of advance warning is very laudable. But are you prepared for the worst case?

Parents can be very fickle. People you think of as very loyal will often give notice over this sort of thing. Ultimately they’re driven by self-interest, and you can’t really blame them.

You wouldn’t be the first childminder to regret this.

Do you have a waiting list or 'Plan B' in case you're faced with some kind of exodus?