Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Rainy day activities?

Ok ... it's been raining for what seems like months now and I am getting bored of getting wet and running out of wet weather activities both inside and out!

My normal activity is 'waterproof up' and head to the woods where it is not so wet ... but I have a 17mth old, who is BIG, and although just walking, I cannot carry for more than a couple of minutes, especially when also carrying the back pack and bag of stuff for the woods! He is usually in a pushchair, and all my usual woods are not that pushchair friendly! The other place I could go usually is full of dog mess in the trees which makes it unsuitable for playing.

Plus ... there is only so long we can spend outside in the rain!
    However; we go to assorted parks, in the garden, on walks, duck feeding, puddle jumping etc

Inside we've had all our usual activities, made dens , had dvd afternoons, cooked, mass craft sessions. We've been out to shops/library/coffee shops.

Any new ideas? !

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Have a really good research session on your local area and beyond for one off events. You probably have done that already though!

When I'm feeling desperate I usually manage to find some sort of free or very cheap craft/activity session at a library/bookshop/Hobbycraft/National Trust/Heritage sites and similar/Church/gym/shopping centre/community centre (sorry, just trying to think back to all the one one off/regular places that have saved many a rainy day for us). Try a different library branch to the one you usually visit. I think you live in the sticks compared to me, so it is probably more challenging for you.

Sometimes we stumble across great stuff and other times we find the event not so great, but it has been a change of scenery and used up a couple of hours.

3. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

How about a trip to a garden centre to buy some cheap cress seeds or something else that you 'need'? In the past mine have all managed to get distracted in there by random things, again killing an hour or so. Often gives me ideas for new projects and activities too.

5. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

How about a pet shop? Pets at Home do holiday workshops for free - animal handling. I think I've mentioned it before and seem to remember you don't have one near you, so probably not that helpful actually. I'm just about to book one for DD.

7. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Maza! some good ideas and places I'd forgotten about!

did garden centre last week ... have all sorts of stuff planted up! pets at home is a fair way away! we have done them in the past, but currently the times are useless for me! Hope you enjoy your visit. Our local libraries have all turned into 'local community libraries' staffed by volunteers for the main, and are all open odd hours! We do visit, and I hadn't noticed anything being advertised, but I shall have a look. ( LOL - just reminded me ... they rang to ask if I would 'host' a story time session next week a couple of weeks ago ... but I'm away! )

we went to our local zoo and theme park today ( after being there yesterday ... but 2 children wanted to go again today - so 'child led' and all that ) we had 5 hours of DRY weather, despite threatening clouds! mind you, it has rained non stop since we got home !

9. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

At this point I usually resorted to making a big exciting day of the children planning indoor only activities themselves.
    No adult led, but assisted allowed.
    Minimal craft.
    I encouraged small world, construction, role play, music and games and puzzles.
    When children play for a long period of time at these activities they extend their play and deeper learning happens.

So just limited to indoor ‘toy’ play. Children also planned fruit snacks and lunch. Planned the day before and discussed together, then a big ‘decorating plan’ crafty activity to finish the day with a list of things I needed to prepare for them.

On arrival the following day the plan was displayed and discussed again.....then off they went, often toys that rarely got played with came out and joined together, train track everywhere with visiting the toy zoo in another room, role play rocket with big construction tubes....going to a magical fairy land that involves dressing up. Fairyland small world meets knights and castles and set ups were everywhere in the living room. Long extended reading in a newly made book corner, Long music making activities, with me recording them...all the more focussed and exciting because they had planned it.
    Usually found that my role was playing alongside, my favourite activity, facilitating their play.

Often children spend so much time outdoors and visiting places that the sheer pleasure of playing with the toys we have is a treat in itself....being able to set up activities and wander between them, leaving them out to return to, being able to become absorbed in play for as long as they like without having to stop to go out.

Making a special day of it usually made them more enthusiastic too.

11. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I do know what you mean its been a very long rainy cold period.
    My mindee on her last day before easter actually saidwill i get wet today yes sweetie you will.

This activity kept her interested untill i ran out of white wine vinegar. Easy Outdoor Color Changing Volcano with Baking Soda and Vinegar - Preschool Inspirations

Maybe lots of science activities? We also got a large glass vase so we could see what would sink or float.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

13. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Have you got a working local pottery factory close? The ones near us run alot of different craft activities during the holidays
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

15. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks. Some great ideas.

I think my major difficulty is/was that the majority of my LO'S are all just 2 to 2.5yrs! And mainly need exercising! But actually, we've been really lucky this week; the sky may have been grey but we've managed to be out and about for 4 -5 hrs each day without more than an occasional spot of drizzle