Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default motor insurance - vans?

Hi all!

I am thinking of getting an 8 or 9 seater van - a small minibus - and wondered if anyone had one and could offer any advice for what to look for / good makes etc. ? when i work the holidays i have older ones and it makes it difficult to go out so would love to be able to fit everyone in!

I'm thinking a renault trafic or similar (vivaro) - have seen lots of 6 seaters but not many 9's (not local to me anyway ) and wondered if anyone had any experience of adding in the seats they want - someone recommended to do this as would be cheaper, but was wondering about the modifications for insurance purposes!! I would obviously get proper seats, expertly fitted and checked etc

I am not sure what the insurance costs will be so if anyone can recomend a good insurer I would really appreciate it - I enquired about it before with my current insurer and they wouldn't even do the number of seats I was asking about at that time so would likely have to change insurers - sigh!!

Also I am a one car family so the van would be my family vehicle as well as my business one but because of the hours I work it will only really be used for childminding use. (Apart from when i am on holiday) Can anyone advise the best way to be able to take the cost against my business ? I am a bit confused by all of that! if the main purpose of the vehicle is work can i also claim some of the insurance i would be paying - I have never claimed car insurance on my tax return before as don't suppose it is much more than what i would pay anyway but if i need to pay more i would like to claim if i can ?

so sorry for so many questions!!

TIA xxx

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got an 8 seater. Citroen C8. We do have another car my husband uses it for work so when I'm not childminding I feel the C8 is 'heavy & bulky' to drive around in if I'm on my own. It's also a thirsty car. I wish I had a little car. I only claim for mileage used whilst working. There have been numerous threads about cars and what you can claimed if you look in the history 'bit'. Sorry I can't help any more but someone more knowledgeable will advise you shortly. That's the beauty of asking questions here!

3. Likes Bluebell liked this post
    Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you ! i'll have another go at searching - i tried but all i came up was the same question from june 17 which i'd replied to as was when i first thought about getting one lol!! will have tro try a few differrent words maybe!!